Granny Foils Robbery

Comments

• SIAL! :D:D:D

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... cdaa8e21c5

har de har! :wink:

(wait for the "what the hell does SIAL mean comments :P )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Was anyone else as appalled as we were, watching the shop staff cowering inside whilst these scum attacked the windows, passers by walking on and the person capturing it on the phone was happy to stand back and let it happen. Only when the old dear came marching over did anyone else get involved. They should be ashamed of themselves, every one of them, standing back, hiding and generally letting it happen until some old dear marches in to show em how to be public-spirited.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    To be fair to those standing by - if she was not an old granny she probably would have got a sledge hammer square to the face.
  • Chris - as I've said elsewhere - had a bloke attempted to intervene he would've got a hammer in his head - it was the shock value of the granny (coupled with an ingrained little boy reaction to grannies) that stopped her being lamped by the thieves.

I could start waxing lyrical about how the previous Govt encouraged people to NOT intervene and "leave it to the Police" but that's another debate.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    CiB wrote:
    Was anyone else as appalled as we were, watching the shop staff cowering inside whilst these scum attacked the windows, passers by walking on and the person capturing it on the phone was happy to stand back and let it happen. Only when the old dear came marching over did anyone else get involved. They should be ashamed of themselves, every one of them, standing back, hiding and generally letting it happen until some old dear marches in to show em how to be public-spirited.

If a guy with a crash helmet starts hitting windows of the building I'm in with a sledgehammer, you're unlikely to find me doing very much, let alone 6 guys trying to rob the place.

As with most people I suspect - hence the video being so unusual...
  • rick_chasey
    SIAL! :D:D:D

Stuck in a loop?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699

Stuck in a loop?

She is a legend?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Chris - as I've said elsewhere - had a bloke attempted to intervene he would've got a hammer in his head - it was the shock value of the granny (coupled with an ingrained little boy reaction to grannies) that stopped her being lamped by the thieves.

I could start waxing lyrical about how the previous Govt encouraged people to NOT intervene and "leave it to the Police" but that's another debate.
    &
    If a guy with a crash helmet starts hitting windows of the building I'm in with a sledgehammer, you're unlikely to find me doing very much, let alone 6 guys trying to rob the place.

As with most people I suspect - hence the video being so unusual...
    Fair point, but these bunch of scum turned to jelly as soon as someone challenged their actions, and suddenly everyone who was keen not to get involved realised that it was an option. Maybe it was them using Vespas as getaway vehicles that gave them away as being soft-as-shite really. In my day nothing less than a Jag wiv Fingers McGraw at the wheel + a Transit van for the loot would have been acceptable as transport.

Point taken tho.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    dhope wrote:

Stuck in a loop?

She is a legend?

The upper layer of the Earth's crust made of rocks rich in silicates and aluminium minerals?
  • rick_chasey
    kelsen wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Stuck in a loop?

She is a legend?

The upper layer of the Earth's crust made of rocks rich in silicates and aluminium minerals?

Malay abuse?
  • okay okay :lol:

Puff and myself moderate on Scoobynet; and some time back (years and years back) there was a photograph of a scooby driven into a lake.

This got posted again and again and again - you would not credit the amount of people that posted this bloody photograph thinking it was the first time anyway had seen it.

The ONLY time this ever came close to being repeated was with Ken Bloody Block. God almighty, the number of times that blasted video got posted :?

Anyway - it went down in history as being the most reposted thread ever and since then whenever anyone posts something that has been posted previously - they got the SIAL against them
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • SIAL could be the dyslexic yachting association.
  • SIAL could be the dyslexic yachting association.

Ay the wanc... :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    okay okay :lol:

Puff and myself moderate on Scoobynet; and some time back (years and years back) there was a photograph of a scooby driven into a lake.

This got posted again and again and again - you would not credit the amount of people that posted this bloody photograph thinking it was the first time anyway had seen it.

The ONLY time this ever came close to being repeated was with Ken Bloody Block. God almighty, the number of times that blasted video got posted :?

Anyway - it went down in history as being the most reposted thread ever and since then whenever anyone posts something that has been posted previously - they got the SIAL against them

Keiran slipping into geek speak again :roll:

Scooby = Subaru (normally an Impreza Turbo of some description)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Geeks....

You've no idea how many times V6 on fire made it onto Cliosport.net, think its a bannable offence now... :lol:

burnout60lt2bg.jpg
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    CiB wrote:

I suspect the film footage will prove as valuable as the granny's intervention as no doubt CCTV will be crap or non functioning.

Notice the white transit van that speeds into the road against the no-entry signs then swerves all over the road then does a U turn ............. possibly a get away van?

The thieves still managed to take a reasonable amount.

Would you intervene to prevent the robbery of over priced vanity ornaments that only rich air heads, bankers, footballers and other C list celebs can afford? I thought not.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    dilemna wrote:
    Would you intervene to prevent the robbery of over priced vanity ornaments that only rich air heads, bankers, footballers and other C list celebs can afford? I thought not.

I guess that you have never shopped at a jewellers then?

As has been said elsewhere - All it takes is for good men to do nothing...........
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • To my eyes, I see the following:

1. A member of the public cooly filmed the incident knowing that the footage would help in finding / convicting the thieves
    2. A member of the public drove his van AT the bikes in an attempt to stop them fleeing
    3. People saw a group of guys swinging bloody great hammers around and realised how dangerous things were
    4. Mental granny didn't care and went for it anyway (or didn't see the hammers!)
    5. Everyone joined in when it was clear the granny was kicking arse / in trouble / needed help
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    To my eyes, I see the following:

1. A member of the public cooly filmed the incident knowing that the footage would help in finding / convicting the thieves
    2. A member of the public drove his van AT the bikes in an attempt to stop them fleeing
    3. People saw a group of guys swinging bloody great hammers around and realised how dangerous things were
    4. Mental granny didn't care and went for it anyway (or didn't see the hammers!)
    5. Everyone joined in when it was clear the granny was kicking ars* / in trouble / needed help

6. Man wearing gorilla suit in the background
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    kelsen wrote:
    To my eyes, I see the following:

5. Everyone joined in when it was clear the granny was kicking ars* / in trouble / needed help

6. Man wearing gorilla suit in the background

A PCSO turns up when the granny and other members of the public have got the situation under control and detained the thieves. Miss Marple would be proud and DI Tennyson envious.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • daviesee wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

I guess that you have never shopped at a jewellers then?

As has been said elsewhere - All it takes is for good men to do nothing...........

I haven't unless you class Argos as one. That's where I got my wife engagement ring from, it made her finger go green. :D
    Fat lads take longer to stop.