disc brakes sold in 2010

andyroo71
andyroo71 Posts: 4
edited February 2011 in MTB general
out of intrest does anybody know how many disc brakes where sold in 2010, compared to the number of v-brakes sold?

Comments

• heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Better chance comparing brands and emailing/sending a letter/phoning suppliers of brands.

Fishers might have numbers against one product to the other.

Other way would be to get in touch with any retailers.

Assuming this is research for a Uni project? If it is, how would you reference these findings if a User came on and said a number.
  • I guess it'd be the majority Vs because of people who know nothing about bikes and just a get a rubbish bike to take out twice a year. In the MTB community its a large majority discs
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Ah, don't be denigrating V users. I still have them on a couple of bikes, plenty enough stopping power for xc, cheap as chips and roughly the same dimensions.
  • Easier to maintain...
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Easier to maintain...

The majority of disc brakes are fit and forget and only need bleeding once a yr or so so how are V brakes easier to maintain when u have to keep the cables clean and brakes adjusted to keep optimal performance??

Just a thought.......
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I guess it'd be the majority Vs because of people who know nothing about bikes and just a get a rubbish bike to take out twice a year. In the MTB community its a large majority discs
    I dout that. Even BSOs have disc brakes these days.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Though most road bikes and BMXs and such don't, wonder how the market actually splits?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Road bikes don't have V's. No idea about BMX but don't think they do neither.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited February 2011
    They don't have discs either... And a lot of road bikes do have Vs, though people subdivide those off into commuter, etc (mine does frinstance)

Though you're right, it'd be clearer to talk about disc vs rim brakes, people end up wrongly using v-brakes as a shorthand for rim brakes.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Northwind wrote:
    Though most road bikes and BMXs and such don't, wonder how the market actually splits?
    Oh yeah! i keep forgetting about those weirdos :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Most BMXs use u-brakes..... the ones that even have brakes anyway
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I guess it'd be the majority Vs because of people who know nothing about bikes and just a get a rubbish bike to take out twice a year. In the MTB community its a large majority discs
    I dout that. Even BSOs have disc brakes these days.
    i suppose, though they are cr@ppy cable discs.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    cooldad wrote:
    Road bikes don't have V's. No idea about BMX but don't think they do neither.

My BMX has V's, infact nearly all race BMXes do