Creaking frame ?

Big dave 3
Big dave 3 Posts: 304
edited July 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I have a Boardman team HT frame which has been built into a commuter bike. SInce last week, on a trip up town, a creaking has develloped. The creaking happens when you pedal most, sitting on the saddle & standing up. It also creaks every time the bike goes over even a small bump or when force is applied on it.

I have changed over the wheels & its still there, also just fitted a new bottom bracket & its not that, removed the saddle & seatpost & still there.

I took the chain off & pedalled with the bike freewheeling & creaking is still there. I have changed the pedals & its not that.

It seems every time you lean the bike on something or even pick it up it creaks.

I cant think of anything else it could be but the frame?

I bought the frame off ebay about 2 months ago & it was virtually new.

Im really pullinh my hair out over this as I love the self built bike. ANy advice gratefully received.

Dave
/

Marin Team HT (customiosed commuter)

Boardman Team HT (customised commuter)

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Park Tools website has a page on diagnosing noises. Could be one of many things.
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    Did the former owner on ebay mention why he sol it?
  • Was the bottom bracket threads greased when the new one was installed?
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Try different QRs and cleaning up the contact area.
    You could also try a quick spin with the seatpost out.
    Chainring bolts are another good one.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    If the actual frame is creaking, and you can identify it as such, then it will be a crack of some description.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Could be the headset - does it creak if you ride it hands free?
    long_guts wrote:
    Was the bottom bracket threads greased when the new one was installed?

Sorry to hijack but I have a problem with a creaking frame (and not just my bike's). Is the bottom bracket supposed to be greased or not as I have had differing opinions on this?

I thought I had identified the problem as the seatpost by the way and a shorter post seemed to solve it but it's back.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    dan1502 wrote:
    long_guts wrote:

Sorry to hijack but I have a problem with a creaking frame (and not just my bike's). Is the bottom bracket supposed to be greased or not as I have had differing opinions on this?

I thought I had identified the problem as the seatpost by the way and a shorter post seemed to solve it but it's back.

The BB shouldn't go in dry, regular grease or copper grease is the way forward.
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    Ok, thanks. If I recall correctly I greased it with copper grease first time around then was advised otherwise so wiped it and put it back. I think I ought to regrease it then.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • Hi I'm a mechanic at a small cycle hire in Cornwall and have come across bottom brackets creaking a few times when people bring their bkes in etc. Its definatly worth a try as I guess its the dry threads and any slight flex but yea def worth a try.

Phil
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Might be the pedal threads. Take em out, slap some grease on them, then then refit. See if it's gone.
    Or, even chainring bolts.
  • dan1502 wrote:
    long_guts wrote:

definitley greased otherwise the threads will end up seizing and you'll never get it out of the frame.
    My Boardman comp roadbike creaked bb needed re-greasing and cranks needed tightnening up. The creak was gone after that.
  • dan1502
    Ok, I shall try greasing again but I think the creaking was there present when they were greased - thought they won't be bone dry, it still needs doing so I will. Regarding tightening the cranks, I did these in line with the specifications so they should be ok.

My recollection is that it was partly effort related but didn't seem to be due to the chainring bolts. Hard to describe but I don't think it was in synch with pedal movement. I suspect it could be around the headset, partly as I didn't have problems before changing the fork travel from 80mm to 100mm which will change the stresses. However I changed/upgraded so many things around the same time it's hard to tell for sure. I haven't removed the headset at all though.

I'll also check the frame for cracks again but I've done this already and it's not had a great deal of use.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Another common one is the handlebar/stem interface.
  • Also had an sdg bel air saddle that creaked. My old rocklobster was creaking and I couldn't work out what it was for ages, sounded like the frame but it was a small crack in the plastic holding the saddle rails at the nose.
  • dan1502
    I'll try no hands and also try not sitting as well. I could remove and refit the headset - should grease be used to fit headsets?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    dan1502 wrote:
    I'll try no hands and also try not sitting as well. I could remove and refit the headset - should grease be used to fit headsets?

Yes inside them, no outside them.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • dan1502
    Sorry, just to clarify, not around where the cups press fit into the frame (which is what seems logical)
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • Sorry Ive only just logged on again as I had one reply when I last checked this thread.

I swapped wheelsets, bottom bracket, seatpost/saddle & regreased & adjusted crankset.

I did ride the bike hands free & it was not so noticeable. However, when moving the bike with the front brake on, it clicks/creaks all the time when you 'rock it'.. I would say this indicates a headset problem. I also noticed after riding in wet, when you turn upside down there always seems to be a puddle of water coming from the stem/fork area even after waiting a few days before turning it upside down.

I gave up and took the bike to a very reputable LBS.

They have spent all day looking at it & admit they are stumped. They adjusted & torqued everything obvious like bolts & cassettes & bottom brackets. They say its not a headset problem & have checked that.

They have narrowed it down to frame, carbon forks or rotor/calliper.

To investigate further will start getting expensive they said.

I have found something on another forum about exotic carboncycles forks:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t ... k+problems

Basically the bloke has the same carbon fork as me & had 2 & they both creaked & broke.

I think my next step is to remove the rotors (& ride down a deserted road) to rule them out.

Then fit a different fork I guess :shock:
    /

Marin Team HT (customiosed commuter)

Boardman Team HT (customised commuter)

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro
  • Dan, grease should be used to fit virtually everything on a bike - contrary to what you might expect, it doesn't mean it won't stay tight, but it does often mean things won't seize when u come to want to change them again - & it protects somewhat against corrosion!
  • dan1502
    Thanks for the clarification. I have tended to use copper grease on anti-seize areas and finish line grease on bearings and the like. I did think the BB needed grease on the threads but must've been given a contrary view at some point. Regarding press fitting the headset cups, I wasn't so sure and I haven't had the need to do this until now anyway (just building up two bikes - one for me and one for the other half), but as they do not need to be resistant to torsional force I also didn't think it would matter.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • I ride an 08 Carrera Fury and have the same problem. I used to work in a bike shop and have completely stripped and rebuilt my bike with our mechanic and the noise is still here. I recon its a crack in the frame as all other components are in good condition. We think its a crack in the BB shel or the seat tube as the noise occurs when putting force through the cranks (ie pedaling) or butting pressure on the seatpost.

Just got an on one 456 frame so I'll report back once ive got all the bits in and built up.
    On One 456 Summer Season
    Whyte Charing Cross
    Ghost AMR Plus 7500
  • dan1502
    I doubt that's the case with mine as I've checked all welds very carefully, no creaking was present before the rebuild (with upgraded parts) and it's a low mileage frame that's been looked after.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    Have you checked the chainring bolts and saddle? Also look for loose spokes on your wheels.

If theres a noise and some movement when rocking the bike on the front brake then put your finger across the lower headset cup and fork crown, rock it again and see it you can feel movement when the noise occurs.

Sounds like theres not much left to check, unfortunately this means all you can do is try another strip/rebuild then if it;s still there start replacing parts one at a time until it goes. Hope you have a big spare parts bin. Or just risk living with it :?

The problem is that the noise could be from anywhere on the bike and echoing along the frame.
  • dan1502
    There are a few things left to try and there aren't many bits that could cause it that weren't replaced with new. The headset is one of them but this was fine before and I checked and regreased it however the change in travel would alter the angle of force. I am very careful about adjusting stems ie pressure on the race. I haven't tried chainring bolts but it was a new crankset.

I'm currently building a full suspension 29er and if I find I don't use the hardtail much it might be academic as I'll probably take the best stuff off it and put it on my wife's bike then put her lower spec stuff on mine. That will involve chaging most things. Either that or split and sell it. I'm being extra extra careful to grease everything on this build.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • Bikerdazz
    Bikerdazz Posts: 1
    Hi.. I have the exact same problem and I have no idea where it's coming from!!! it sounds like the frame flexing. It's none of the components on the bike as they are all brand new off the shelf less than a month ago including my forks. Is it possible that the frame has natural flex in it? (Sorry I'm new to carbon) :D ...
  • My GT Zaskar comp 2017 started creaking. It turned out to be a crack at the weld on the drive side chain stay.
    Only 2 years old - won't be buying a GT anymore.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Thank you for your valuable input to an 8 year old thread. :wink:
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009