Medical

nicksun
nicksun Posts: 290
Hi all,
A group of us are doing La Marmotte and we all need to get our GPs to sign our medical forms. One of the group has been told that it will cost about £120 for a medical and the form signed. This seems a little excessive and worrying. What are your views/experiences?

Cheers

Nick.

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Had to get one for the Paris marathon a couple of years ago, my GP did it for free, but I didn't need a medical, just a sig from the GP to say that there was no medical reason why I couldn't do it.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Tried to get one last year from my GP.

Was told the earliest appointment would be a month away (after the event) and would cost £50. Went to the medicentre in the end for about £70.
    exercise.png
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Mine was 25 quid last year. It really only needs to be a check-up not a full physical.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • It sounds as though the GP has quoted for a full medical [which takes about 45 mins] and has priced accordingly.

It all depends what the paperwork says. Some certificates are along the lines of 'I know of no reason why...' which can be done from reading the records. But if it says 'I have examined...' then there is no alternative to doing the full check.

It is often helpful to let the practice have a copy of the certificate in advance so they can advise what the work entails.
  • been there a few times, it all mainly revolves around the heart, you,ll probably need an ecg no matter how fit you feel, then go from there. if your'e in bupa you,ll get it done a lot faster.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    You can do yours and all your mates for 25 quid

http://www.staples.co.uk/desk-accessori ... -18mm?r=bf

After you've scanned in the form to e-mail it to Sport Communication they won't know otherwise!
  • nicksun
    Thanks for all your replys. schweiz, I'd considered that already. Worth a punt if all four of us have to pay over £100 each.

Cheers.

Nick.
  • I've checked the entry form and I'm afraid it does require an exam and not just a check of the notes :cry:
    I wouldn't have thought an ecg was necessary [or very informative].
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    ceejay55 wrote:
    I wouldn't have thought an ecg was necessary [or very informative].

You are right, having had years of flying medicals including an annual ECG after the age of 50 my flying medic always says after the ECG "I can tell with 100% certainty that you have never had a heart attack".

It is exactly like investing in the stock market; past results are not a guide to future performance.
  • DIY medical certification may seem attractive but just check it won't invalidate your medical insurance should the worst happen. It could prove a false economy.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Mine did it for free, but then I know her. A nice bottle of Shiraz was the only transaction.

I think charging is out of order- you are doing something which promotes good health, which any decent health professional should clearly support, not charge you for.

It's a blood pressure test and a few other bits, takes 5 minutes. No expensive tests.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • schweiz
    I went to the doc for a medical before La Marmotte in 2009.

I had been to him the previous year with concerns about my BP. It was a little high but due to the fact I was a 'normal' weight, athletic, non-smoker and occasional drinker he wasn't concerned

We chatted about what it was (how far/high) and about my training.He took my resting pulse and BP, which was still a touch high, signed the form and wished me good luck.

That cost me about £20 which is cheaper than a normal visit to the docs here.

As to invalidating travel insurance, the medical is a requirement of Sport Communication not of your Travel Insurance (although check your policy first though!!). It's only there so your relatives can't try to sue Sport Communication.
  • There is a fundamental misconception...
    as you will be within the EU, you don't really need a travel/medical insurance, as treatment will be free. The exception are costs of reimpatriation whether things got extreme (why would anyone want to be reimpatriated when french hospitals are clearly better is a mystery anyway). I would put that down to "risks" associated with having an active life.
    If you are prepared to accept this insignificant risk, then you can even forge the medical form and save yourself money...

As for the event itself, if you have a heart attack at the Dragon Ride, everyone will say bad luck, so why if you have one at the Marmotte you want an insurance to pay? Statistically you're less likey to have a heart attack in France than in the UK
    left the forum March 2023
  • schweiz
    There is a fundamental misconception...
    as you will be within the EU, you don't really need a travel/medical insurance, as treatment will be free. The exception are costs of reimpatriation whether things got extreme (why would anyone want to be reimpatriated when french hospitals are clearly better is a mystery anyway). I would put that down to "risks" associated with having an active life.
    If you are prepared to accept this insignificant risk, then you can even forge the medical form and save yourself money...

As for the event itself, if you have a heart attack at the Dragon Ride, everyone will say bad luck, so why if you have one at the Marmotte you want an insurance to pay? Statistically you're less likey to have a heart attack in France than in the UK

Your fundemental misconception is that the European Health Insurance Card provides you with the same level of cover all over Europe.
    It only covers healthcare which is normally covered by a statutory health care system in the visited country, so it does not render travel insurance obsolete.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Health_Insurance_Card
  • Repatriation is what happens when that nice French hospital discharges you and you need to get yourself, luggage and bike home. And the crutches [which you can't really manage till the cast comes off your wrist].

Of course if you are in a coma it won't bother you but after a few weeks your family might find the local hospital easier to visit. And the EHIC doesn't cover the aeromed flight home. And all that can happen crossing the road, its not cycling specific.

Sorry to sound bleak but it does happen. I've seen it happen with insurance and without. And I never take liberties with travel insurance.

I take the point that the doctor's cert may not affect the insurance - depends if it is purchased seperately or bundled I suspect. Just check is all I'm saying.
  • Don't confue the accident (which has nothnig to do with your medical) with a heart attack... which could have been prevented by a thorough check.

In UK you certify that you are in good health, hence can only blame yourself if anything happens. In Europe we prefer to trust a GP, but if the GP does not carry out a complete check up, which level of responsability do you think he's actually prepared to be liable for?
    The thing is the event insuracne won't cover you if you have a heart attack and your medical is forged, but what do oyu need that cover for? You have the Eu medical card, you've got your personal insurance in case you need to repatriated... I hope you don't think that the event insurance will cover your wrecked carbon frame, becuase that's not the case...
    In essence, it's completely uselss... it's only there to cover the organisers in case someone take them to court... are you planning on doing so?
    left the forum March 2023
  • nicksun
    Guys, I was joking when I said that I was considering signing the medical form myself. I'm gonna use all my charisma and charm to get my GP to sign it for free (I'll take my cheque book as well) Smiley.

Nicksun.