My first collision

Alphabet
Alphabet Posts: 436
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Coming home on Friday a BMW in front of me slammed on the anchors with no warning so i went into the back of it. The delightful driver checked i wasn't dead and that there was no damage to her car - she couldn't explain why she felt the need to do an emergency stop in the middle of fast moving traffic. She then proceeded to naff off and without leaving her details. A few people had stopped to help me but unfortunately i didn't get her plate as i was trying to convice people that i was fine to carry on even though my face and top were soaked in my own blood. Police and ambulance arrived and took care of me, doubt they'll be able to trace her.

Had to go to hospital to get my eyebrow stitched back together, but other than a few cuts in my ear and lots of bruising, I'm not too shabby. My bike on the other hand is well and truly dead :( Frame is bent on the top and down tube to the extent that the front wheel now won't clear it. Everything else is totally fine though so i need a new commuting frame:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 9#16754019

and a minute's silence for my beloved Benotto:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_T1rX ... 09_2_2.JPG

:cry::cry::cry:

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    So sorry to hear that mate. I remember you posting about your Bernotto. Its a real shame. And its appalling that she just drove off like that. I hope you manage to trace her... Isn't there a law against driving away from an accident? Did the police take a statement from you or anything?
  • Alphabet
    yeah, the police had to take a statement from me and said that if they get hold of her, she'll essentially get charged for a hit and run.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    That sounds like a really bad morning.

In terms of tracing the driver there is a chance that it is her regular commute so you'd more than likely see her going down that road at similar times.

However I don't know what benefit you'd get from that as you ran into the back of her vehicle, which means that you didn't allow enough stopping distance so in terms of insurance claims it is your fault.
  • Alphabet
    exactly what i was thinking to be honest. there was quite a gap and no one stopped in front of the car, but even with new pads, my caliper brakes are no match for a car's discs. had time to swing on my brake levers, go up on my front wheel in a fairly epic endo and think 'oh dear, this is going to hurt'
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    davmaggs wrote:
    However I don't know what benefit you'd get from that as you ran into the back of her vehicle, which means that you didn't allow enough stopping distance so in terms of insurance claims it is your fault.

Indeed, sorry to hear about your crash and hope you recover well.

But to be honest it might be a blessing in disguise that she didn't swap details with you. If there were any damage to her car you'd be liable for it.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    W1 wrote:
    davmaggs wrote:

Indeed, sorry to hear about your crash and hope you recover well.

But to be honest it might be a blessing in disguise that she didn't swap details with you. If there were any damage to her car you'd be liable for it.
    Agreed.
    Get well soon, and I hope you find a replacement to your bike. But if I was the driver I'd have hung around. Now, regardless of fault, she could be done for leaving the scene of an accident/failure to report, whereas if she'd hung around to look after the cyclist who'd ridden into the back of her car you could be getting a bill for a respray of the back.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    it might be better (despite how stupid the driver was) to let it go. In fact I'm sure the Police won't make any effort.

I wonder if the car was an automatic (easy to stamp on the brake if you are used to a clutch) or if she dropped it into the wrong gear.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Hope you heal up OK, manage to track down the BMW, and find a worthy successor to the Benotto. A real shame to bend such a nice frame.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Sorry to hear about your collision.

Riding into the back of someone isn't always clear cut. Did the BMW driver pass, cut in then slam on? In my book that would make it the drivers fault for a dangerous over take.

Anyway, hope you find a suitable replacement.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    A head cam is the answer.

GWS.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Maybe you need better brakes. Cars can do an emergency stop for any reason at any time.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    thelawnet wrote:
    Maybe you need better brakes. Cars can do an emergency stop for any reason at any time.

They can but whatever the brakes, I doubt a bike could match the braking power of a car at any given speed. Car brakes are far more effective.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • nightoff wrote:
    Sorry to hear about your collision.

Riding into the back of someone isn't always clear cut. Did the BMW driver pass, cut in then slam on? In my book that would make it the drivers fault for a dangerous over take.

Anyway, hope you find a suitable replacement.

WRONG.

If you run into the back of somebody it is your fault pretty much regardless of their actions.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Alphabet
    thelawnet wrote:
    Maybe you need better brakes. Cars can do an emergency stop for any reason at any time.

yeah, thanks for that. helpful. maybe i should put some ceramic discs on my bike.
  • Alphabet wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:

yeah, thanks for that. helpful. maybe i should put some ceramic discs on my bike.

have you considered fatter tyres? 15cm or so should do it
  • rjsterry
    WesternWay wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:

And four of them rather than the standard two. Mind you, you'd then need an engine to power it...
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Maybe instead of fiddling with the brakes and tyres try and keep your distance. I am sorry that you got hurt but tailgating a car gives you a big chance of achieving just that. As you've noticed yourself your brakes are not as good. This means that you have to take into account a longer stopping distance.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    WesternWay wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:

And four of them rather than the standard two. Mind you, you'd then need an engine to power it...

then you'll have to pay road tax too...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • thelawnet wrote:

They can but whatever the brakes, I doubt a bike could match the braking power of a car at any given speed. Car brakes are far more effective.

Well that's why your speed and distance from the vehicle in front needs to be matched to the capabilities of your own vehicle. Being able to stop in good time is pretty fundamental really.
  • Alphabet
    thelawnet wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:

Well that's why your speed and distance from the vehicle in front needs to be matched to the capabilities of your own vehicle. Being able to stop in good time is pretty fundamental really.

i didn't think it'd be so much of an issue considering there was a clear road ahead and i had a good few metres' gap. how much space would you give a car on a London commute where there's no clear path to the side? please let me know so i can make note for the future.
  • Alphabet wrote:

i didn't think it'd be so much of an issue considering there was a clear road ahead and i had a good few metres' gap. how much space would you give a car on a London commute where there's no clear path to the side? please let me know so i can make note for the future.

Never mind all that, please adjust your signature, it's SO out-of-date.
  • Alphabet
    WesternWay wrote:

don't speak ill of the dead you heartless b@stard.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    WesternWay wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:

:lol:
    Also possible that the silly moo was changing up a gear and changed down by accident resulting in massive engine braking. Main thing is you're ok now, and looking on the bright side, you get to go shopping!
  • Alphabet wrote:
    had time to swing on my brake levers, go up on my front wheel in a fairly epic endo
    Nothing wrong with your brakes then.

I'm saying nowt as I've ridden inches from cars' bumpers when they were in my way.
    A salutary lesson in how erratic other road users can be. Note to self: only a fool breaks the 2 second rule.
    Hard luck, Alphabet. Hope you heal quickly
  • Alphabet wrote:

My only proper off in london has been same situation - you read the road correctly. Alas the driver was not paying the same level of consideration to the road. I side clipped a people carrier (rather than going into back of) that suddenly stopped in oxford circus for no reason what so ever and we were both doing 20 mph or so - they then just drove off without even bothering to see I was okay...

It happens. If you were to honestly cycle so that could never occur - you would end up going about 10 mph. All of you guys who go down embankment at 20+ I imagine that there is traffic there going the same speed/slightly faster. If any of them did an emergency stop you'd hit too if behind them - pretty much guarantee it. Regardless of the reason why you were close to a car. They could pull in a high speed because a cat [you didn't see] ran in front of them. The reasons are unquantifiable. It happened I suspect through no cause of Alphabets behaviour what so ever bar him being behind the car. All those who talk of going faster than 20 in traffic will be guilty of the same behaviour at least once before, he was unlucky this time.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    Alphabet wrote:

My only proper off in london has been same situation - you read the road correctly. Alas the driver was not paying the same level of consideration to the road. I side clipped a people carrier (rather than going into back of) that suddenly stopped in oxford circus for no reason what so ever and we were both doing 20 mph or so - they then just drove off without even bothering to see I was okay...

It happens. If you were to honestly cycle so that could never occur - you would end up going about 10 mph. All of you guys who go down embankment at 20+ I imagine that there is traffic there going the same speed/slightly faster. If any of them did an emergency stop you'd hit too if behind them - pretty much guarantee it. Regardless of the reason why you were close to a car. They could pull in a high speed because a cat [you didn't see] ran in front of them. The reasons are unquantifiable. It happened I suspect through no cause of Alphabets behaviour what so ever bar him being behind the car. All those who talk of going faster than 20 in traffic will be guilty of the same behaviour at least once before, he was unlucky this time.

+1 Had a near miss when a taxi/minicab (I forget exactly) randomly stopped at a green light just before Charring X. Managed to swerve just in time, but still needed a change of underwear. When you've got a tailwind like today, it's all too easy to get too close.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Agreed, if a car runs in the back of you it's their fault, same here, should you have been riding so fast you couldn't stop.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Heal up soon chap.

Won't there be any CCTV / Traffic Cameras near to where it happened? :shock:
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Agreed, if a car runs in the back of you it's their fault, same here, should you have been riding so fast you couldn't stop.

Not always so straight forwards, not the worst example but whose fault would it have been if I'd rear-ended this taxi? http://vimeo.com/19274313 . (I was about 10cm away from it at closest.)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5