ben nevis

im first to die
im first to die Posts: 224
edited February 2011 in Routes
is it possible to get a up lift to the top of ben nevis and ride back down
if i had my time again would i take the time to make the right choices

naa thats no fun

Comments

• Doubt it. Probably the only way you could get an uplift would be if you know someone with a helicopter.

The ride down would be quite interesting too. While it is probably mostly rideable, there are a couple of seriously rocky steep sections which would be tricky. There's also always loads of walkers on the path.

If you're heading up north and looking uplift then the obvious choices are either the World Cup track or Glencoe.
  • There isn't an uplift for Ben Nevis, but once you're up there it would be rideable using the 'tourist' route. Avoid the steep North Col side and you should be able to get down on a full susser, hardtail would be tricky.

In addition to Glen Coe you can also stick your bike on the Cairngorm mountain railway.

As mentioned before, your biggest issue will be the tourists in flip-flops looking for William Wallace....

Oh, and wait until at least May or you'll be ice-skating for a lot of the way.

Enjoy
  • lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    As said before, best bet is getting the gondola up in the "Nevis Range" ie Aonachs, for world cup route - that might be what you were thinking of rather than Ben Nevis itself anyway? Also as said before, it's a ski resort for a reason - you'll have to wait until late spring/summer!

Lucy

• you can also stick your bike on the Cairngorm mountain railway.

Since when? That was a big no-no as far as I knew as the plateau is an SSSI. I think it's only recently that they relaxed the rules on day trippers leaving the top station during summer, but I wasn't aware they were letting people take bikes up :?
  • thanks for all the help think i am going to wait till i get up there in late apr and see what there is.
    if i had my time again would i take the time to make the right choices

naa thats no fun
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    The Lecht has uplift, check their website. I think Glenshee is planning something / already has something.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Wolftraxx at Laggan has uplift on weekends but in summer. It is still winter up there at the mo.
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Did not think you could get out of the top station in the Caringorms during the summer.