Iron meets television

13»

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    bails87 wrote:
    It's bostin' :lol:

Like Steve Austin? #showingmyage
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    I've just complained.

I drive a whopping great gas guzzling Audi, and happen to love driving. This means I pay horrendous tax. I also ride a fleet of bikes.

The VED thing infuriates me hugely. Some fool in a shitty little car tried to accelerate past me a little earlier. I had signalled right and started to move over to the right of the single lane, 20m from a red light. He revved up, realised he couldn't get past, so slammed on the brakes, edged up next to me, wound the window down and started to have a go.... I asked him what the point of trying to overtake me was and told me he "was just using the the road" and "I shouldn't be on it"...

Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!! this kind of thing happens far too often.

Feel free to copy and paste this into the BBC complaint form with amendments if you see fit.

"As a taxpayer, driver and a competitive cyclist, using the roads is a huge part of my life. I was appalled at the inaccuracy of Clarkson's comments regarding cyclists using roads in the UK.

To clarify this issue, I would like to point out that "Road Tax" doesn’t exist. It hasn’t done since 1937. Those little perforated discs pay for Vehicle Excise Duty, which is not a road tax, it’s a tax on vehicles with motors.

Vehicle Excise Duty is based on the level of a vehicle’s tailpipe emissions. The bigger and more carbon-wasteful the car, the more VED is paid. Cars which emit less than 100g/km CO2 don’t pay any VED at present.

The funding for roads comes from General Taxation and Council Tax, there is no hypothecation on VED for its use for the upkeep of the road network.

I would like a statement at the start of the next broadcast rectifying the mistake and apologise for the inaccuracy of the comments. It is precisely comments like these which fuel countless road users' ignorant and dangerous attitudes towards cyclists."

D

We you really appalled? I mean, I was appalled when the story was broken about Josef Fritzl, but this was just Clarkson talking rubbish.
  • i didn't understand the fuss about Fritzl, last time an Austrian father hid his family from the authorities they made a musical out of it.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Superb :)
  • lol no i wasn't but I just want to see how seriously they take it. I was however, in a particularly bad mood having almost been run over for the second time in the week, so didn't have much love for cyclist-hating drivers at the time of writing that.

and Josef Frtizl wasn't appalling.. it was far beyond that!
  • I was also watching the show (glad to find out I'm not the only one who iron's whilst it's on....) and was wondering where they where going when Hamster mentioned the helmet cam thing.
    TBH I'm not surprised it went down those lines, after all this is a motoring show and not TDF coverage.

The banter between JC and Hamster was mildly amusing but nothing that I would have called unexpected given JC's usual comments.

I have to say from one of the challenges they did a couple of series back where they raced across London was rather relevant (but not mentioned on this segment). Hammond was on a bike and some of his remarks and comments did lead me to think he was "on his best behaviour" for the sake of the cameras. In that challenge he did win, beating public transport, a speed boat and not surprisingly a car from Hammersmith (approx IIRC) to London City Airport.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5