Summer holdiday options for a roadie - Croatia?

simonjbrooks
simonjbrooks Posts: 25
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
OK, I would like some help deciding on where to spend my summer holiday.

I will take my road bike (I an not interested in MTBing). I like to ride 2-5 hours. I have a family who are not interested in cycling, but like beaches, heat and swimming pools (2 children under 13 years old).

I like hilly places, good quality roads, warmth and good drivers (or nice quiet roads).

I would like somewhere outside of the Euro, as the exchange rate is very poor.

I would like somewhere within 3 hours flight, where accommodation is not too expensive. Places with a bit of history are good.

I had wondered about Croatia or Turkish Cyprus.......

Your experiences and thoughts appreciated :D

Comments

• phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I'm half Croatian and I've been tempted for a while to take my bike over and ride there but haven't got around to it. If you do go then I would advise to steer well clear of the main Adriatic coastal road that runs from north to south, it would be a nightmare. So, to ride near the sea the only other option is an island - and there are some beautiful ones - but you won't really get 5 hours riding unless you do loops. Alternatively, if you are on the mainland, somewhere like Zadar, then you can ride along bits of coast, then inland a bit and up towards the Velebit mountain range. These roads will be much quieter.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Tough one. The old euro countries all have sound road infrastructure and a decent standard of driving/tolerance towards cyclists.

Croatian roads cannot be relied upon. You may want to research fully you're going. Not all roads are surfaced, and those that are can be hit and miss. It's six years since I've been, but I wouldn't have been too keen to be on a road bike.

The best places to go inside the Eurozone would be Tenerife or Lanzarote. Cheap deals always available and pleny of sunshine and good terrain.

Also, look towards Ryan Air destinations. There's good cycling around Trieste and Turin.
  • Thank you both for your help and advice. I need to do more thinking....

Simon
  • Stu T
    Stu T Posts: 127
    Rode from Rjieka to Sibernik last summer on a mixture of islands and the coast road. (would have ridden to Dubrovnik but free wheel hub broke and as it was Shimano couldn't get it repaired quickly)

The coast road was fine the islands were better, but the coast rode was stunning, long hills , limestone arches, stunning views, fantastic, I loved it.

One thing to consider though is the Bura wind, it really is unrideable when blowing, but it tends to arrive after bad weather so it may not affect you.

Love Croatia and recomend Ojusko beer, lovely stuff
    I wear Lycra because I like the way it feels