Bike washed away down river!

HebdenBiker
HebdenBiker Posts: 787
edited February 2011 in MTB general
Riding the red trail at Gisburn today, I came to a river crossing. The river was swollen and fast moving - no chance of riding through. I used the bike to test the depth of the water and it completely submerged the frame.

Next thing the bike tugged out of my hands and disappeared down the river! I ran down the bank after it but couldn't keep up with it. 25m or so down river the handlebars caught on an overhanging tree. I waded in up to my waist and dragged it out.

Things I have learnt:

1. Bikes float. I knew there was a good reason I ride high tyre pressures.
2. Chucking your bike into a fast-flowing river is a very effective cleaning method.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Things you are about to learn

1 how effective a fast flowing river is at degreasing bearings

2 how to service all your bearings
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Andy B wrote:
    Things you are about to learn

1 how effective a fast flowing river is at degreasing bearings

2 how to service all your bearings

Indeed.

Fortunately I already know how to service my bearings. After today's incident I may have to bring the Spring Service forward. :lol:
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    Don't understand why you put it in far enough to submerge the frame, or was that also unintentional???
  • shx8000 wrote:
    Don't understand why you put it in far enough to submerge the frame, or was that also unintentional???

Well as I rolled the bike into the water holding the saddle, it's true I didn't expect it to be so deep, but...

The river was fast and too wide for me to leap. I could have hoyed the bike across, hoping it would make it to the opposite bank, then hoyed myself across and hoped for the best, but TBH the only way to get me + bike across the river was for me to stand the bike in the water, and "pole vault" across using the saddle to push off from, then drag the bike out the other side...

...but it didn't turn out that way :lol:
  • Was this the crossings at the bottom of Hully Gully?

Caz xx
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    If it was (at bottom of hully gully) jees, it was only a 3" deep trickle when i was there 2 or 3 weeks ago :shock: i know we've had a lot of rain, but still.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Riding the red trail at Gisburn today, I came to a river crossing. The river was swollen and fast moving - no chance of riding through. I used the bike to test the depth of the water and it completely submerged the frame.

Next thing the bike tugged out of my hands and disappeared down the river! I ran down the bank after it but couldn't keep up with it. 25m or so down river the handlebars caught on an overhanging tree. I waded in up to my waist and dragged it out.

Things I have learnt:

1. Bikes float. I knew there was a good reason I ride high tyre pressures.
    2. Chucking your bike into a fast-flowing river is a very effective cleaning method.

Sorry I laughed very hard and slightly sinisterly (not sure why it was sinister, but according to my flatmate it was) at this.
  • Erm I think so
  • you were lucky you didn't get pulled in too, not sure if you'd have floated as well as the bike!
  • angry_bird
    you were lucky you didn't get pulled in too, not sure if you'd have floated as well as the bike!

could have tried to ride it down the river bed though :lol:
  • Angry Bird wrote:
    you were lucky you didn't get pulled in too, not sure if you'd have floated as well as the bike!

could have tried to ride it down the river bed though :lol:

I'd be half way to the Isle of Man now :shock: :D
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    So whats the option for crossing in this case ?
  • angry_bird
    grim168 wrote:
    So whats the option for crossing in this case ?

Use skills acquired from watching Ray Mears programs/generally being a man to build a bridge/boat.
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    :D meant wheres best to cross. going up tuesday.
  • :D Dont wish to be rude but i find this highly amusing. :D
    pain is weakness leaving the body...
  • With any luck the level will have fallen by Tuesday, but if not, push the bike up river (turn right) and find a narrower point. I wish I'd done this :roll:
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    Class!!! Well at least you didn't lose your bike :)
  • looking at the map the river is just run off, as in not lake fed at all, so the level should be lower later in the week (as long as the weather man isn't lying too badly!) it's supposed to dry up a bit towards the start of the week.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Please tell me u had a helmet cam and this is somewhere on you tube - sounds so funny it could go viral.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Please tell me u had a helmet cam and this is somewhere on you tube - sounds so funny it could go viral.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I was faced with a similar problem last year. There was a dead tree nearby, in good shape and not at all rotten. I loped a few of it's branches off and managed to swing the trunk over the river to act as a bridge.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    You must be have a good survival instinct, I'd have been straight in there after the bike! Wouldn't have got much wetter than I was yesterday either tbh!!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • WierdBeard wrote:
    :D Dont wish to be rude but i find this highly amusing. :D

i second that, sorry, but im glad it turned out this way as it could of been alot worse.