Too much mud?

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Whilst out riding the CX this morning I took some improvised routes through the forest following the tracks left by the loggers, about 1/2 mile in the mud, gradients and wood debris all got to much for my conti speedkings 700c, traction went completely, so downhill was the only option left however the muck collected everywhere eventually seizing the wheels :?

My question is .... are these conditions ridable with the right equipment or am I attempting the impossible?

Several times the logs were so big I bashed the BB, rear mech, not to mention the countless spoke incidents.

Was great fun though :D
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• You want a Rolhoff hub. I've got a Thorn Sterling. Not the prettiest, quickest or cheapest bike in the world but with the right tyres you can take it pretty much anywhere
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • yes that sort of thing is quite rideable, by CX is another issue, tyres being the main issue.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    The biggest issue was the amount of mud/leaf/twigs/grass stuck everywhere like super glue, i'm not sure a motorbike could have coped with that.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    The biggest issue was the amount of mud/leaf/twigs/grass stuck everywhere like super glue, i'm not sure a motorbike could have coped with that.

you'd be surprised. proper mud tyres will take you unbelievably far, the difference between a jack of all trade and a full bog snorkeler is massive.

in other words with the right kit mud is right hoot.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I had a similar problem with the Genesis on the Ridgeway - problem with CX is that the frame size limits the size of tyres that will fit - thyxatropic mud from chalk is a pain
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    full bog snorkeler
    You've really done that ??

The deepest I've ever got is thigh deep.
  • jejv wrote:
    full bog snorkeler
    You've really done that ??

The deepest I've ever got is thigh deep.

no figure of speech, though did used to ride though very deep bits on the old MTB though I suspect newer MTBs with more complex bits wouldn't be very happy with such treatment.