Evans Fix It

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
I went on one of Evans' 2 hour freebie bike maintenance courses this morning, extremely worthwhile :)

There were only 3 of us (surprise) and we sat down in an area of the shop. In my case, this was Evans, Spitalfields. We were shown how to
a) Take off wheels, repair punctures and replace inner tubes
b) We were shown how to adjust and change v-brakes/disc brakes
c) Shown how to clean & lubricate chains/sprockets & check for wear
d) Shown how to index/adjust gears front/rear
e) Shown how to look after suspension/how it worked

Whilst that may not be rocket science or new ground to many people on here and indeed I could already do most of it, it was still very instructive and useful. For my part, I learned tips on adjusting v-brakes and how to index/adjust gears which is something I really used to cock up & pay someone to do as I didn't know. Plus some other bits I didn't know about.

It was FREE & if we decided to buy anything on the day, we would get a 10% discount, but there was absolutely no pressure and the whole session was relaxed and fun. Our teacher, Mario, was knowledgeable and clear in his instructions, getting us to do things rather than just show (thanks if you read this!).

To be recommended for all those of us out there who either have little or no knowledge, some or indeed people who just need to know one aspect in particular.

Besides, if I haven't said it before, it was FREE :D

Comments

• They do book up quickley, about 2 months in advance at my evans

Jon
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • OTOH, if you ever ask Evans to fix it for you, it will cost you a fortune....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Another top-tip there -

If your buying a bike from Evans, wait till you can do a course and get 10% off. :)
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Sounds good.

There's this one chap at work (not a keen cyclist) who brought himself a good road bike a couple of years ago for commuting purposes.

Not really spoken to him much, and not seen him on the bike for months, but the other week he was telling me he was looking to sell it because it wasn't the right bike for him.

I asked him whats wrong.

- The gears don't work well anymore
    - It's got a puncture
    - It needs a new chain

I did offer to help him out, but he hasn't taken me up on the offer yet. It's like a 20 min job to sort it all. Oh well, like I said, he isn't a keen cyclist :?