A question of would be or any actual jounos

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
Would a newspaper print a specific missive written by Mr J Public.

The Sunday Times, my paper of choice, has a weekly cycling column, which seems to be written by the same half a dozen journos/media types.

Having the day off, from cycling today, I decided to put my little fat fingers to work, and have written a first draft for this column.
It's something I have thought about doing for ages, not in a 'god I could write better than that' style, more 'I can also write in a similar theme'.

If it were to be really good (unlikely, but you never know) is it at all likely The Sunday Times would print the work of a rank amateur?

Comments

• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    edited February 2011
    Post an example of your writing here John.

You're bound to get loads of really helpful suggestions and constructive advice.
  • PostieJohn
    No way, you're already linking me with a level of professionalism I'm not comfortable with!.

You know how it is, in the behemoth that is The Sunday Times, the tiny cycling feature, is the first thing I read.
    Today with nothing better to do, I wrote down my musings.

I certainly wouldn't want to, and in all honesty couldn't, write anything beyond occasional relatively short missives on a subject I am passionate about.
    I'm merely curious, now draft one is complete, what to do with it, with the obvious likely place for it, being where the inspiration originally came from.

I guess it's a testament to the feature that I would like to contribute to it, hence my original question.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    How about sending it to Rouleur or The Ride magazines
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • jim453
    PostieJohn wrote:
    No way, you're already linking me with a level of professionalism I'm not comfortable with!.

You know how it is, in the behemoth that is The Sunday Times, the tiny cycling feature, is the first thing I read.
    Today with nothing better to do, I wrote down my musings.

I certainly wouldn't want to, and in all honesty couldn't, write anything beyond occasional relatively short missives on a subject I am passionate about.
    I'm merely curious, now draft one is complete, what to do with it, with the obvious likely place for it, being where the inspiration originally came from.

I guess it's a testament to the feature that I would like to contribute to it, hence my original question.

John,

If you can't bear the thought of others scrutinising your work then it's a complete non starter.

The Sunday Times will, almost certainly, never print your work.

In fact, I'm not sure what you expect if you can't share it at this early stage. What makes you think your work is better than experienced journalists paid to do the job?

Start writing your own blog. Others on here have done just that. With very mixed results. Could be a way in.
  • Short answer: no.

I suppose there's a slight possibility they may do so as a letter-to-the-editor response to a particular article.
  • If they have a letters section you could send something to that, I've had bits printed by the Guardian and Observer like that.
  • I'm not sure if this is the correct term but a paper will have someone with a title close to ''commissioning editor.'' See whether you can trace them and check out the Guardian bike blog too - some of their posts seem to come from outside their professional pool.

Meanwhile, setting up you own blog as a labour of love could be a way forward - it'll get you in practice and provide accessible examples of your writing to any half-interested editor you manage to find.
  • PostieJohn
    Sorry Jim that was my knee jerk reaction to you asking 'for an example of my work'.

I'm not and never will be a 'writer'.
    As I said I enjoy the column, love the subject, and cycling is one of the few things hold many views, one of which I'd given serious thought to and composed an essay on.
    All very strange for me.

When I polish it up I will put it out there and would love all the feed back, but as for having examples of my work, it'll take a little while before a back catalogue forms :lol:.
  • PostieJohn wrote:
    Sorry Jim that was my knee jerk reaction to you asking 'for an example of my work'.

I'm not and never will be a 'writer'.
    As I said I enjoy the column, love the subject, and cycling is one of the few things hold many views, one of which I'd given serious thought to and composed an essay on.
    All very strange for me.

When I polish it up I will put it out there and would love all the feed back, but as for having examples of my work, it'll take a little while before a back catalogue forms :lol:.

If that's the case then why lower yourself to the Sunday Times? :wink:
  • Postie, don't be put off.

Submit your article and let them say yay or nay. I worked in print news for years, you can sumbmit freelance stuff anytime, just don't expect a by-line (where your name is printed alongside the article and therefore publically attributable). That comes later adn is a badge of honour. Send it to the regular journo whose article you read, or to the section editor. You can also phone them up for a chat. You'll find contact info either in the paper, on the "flannel panel" - where they list who's who in the journal, or go online.

IMO, bettr to try & fail than not try at all, and never know. The worst they can say is "no thanks" and you are no worse off than when you started.

You go for it!

SLJ
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    Judging by the title of this thread you've got no chance :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Start a blog.

If enough people read it regularly, then it's a good case to go into print. Otherwise, it isn't...
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Having the day off, from cycling today, I decided to put my little fat fingers to work, and have written a first draft for this column.

Sorry, but no. Correct use of punctuation is always a good starter I believe.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Starting with a subordinate clause isn't so hot either
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    Yossie wrote:

Sorry, but no. Correct use of punctuation is always a good starter I believe.

Isn't that what subs are for?
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • iainment
    Hoopdriver wrote:

Isn't that what subs are for.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • iainment
    Give it a go, write the article and submit it. If not used ask why and do another article and so on until you get something published.

Good luck - don't take any notice of some of the condecension you got on here.

Pip pip.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hoopdriver wrote:

Rubbish.
  • jim453
    iainment wrote:
    Give it a go, write the article and submit it. If not used ask why and do another article and so on until you get something published.

Pip pip.

But take very careful note of the rest.

Anyway, I bought a football yesterday and kind of like watching the sport. I see no reason why I shouldn't be considered for the upcoming international.

Please don't condescend me by saying that I might struggle to even get on the bench.
  • iainment
    jim453 wrote:
    iainment wrote:

Pip pip.

But take very careful note of the rest.

Anyway, I bought a football yesterday and kind of like watching the sport. I see no reason why I shouldn't be considered for the upcoming international.

Please don't condescend me by saying that I might struggle to even get on the bench.

If you're Scottish you'll be fine. Oh and by the way look at what I wrote I think I mentioned something about giving it a go and if not used get feedback and keep trying. Not you'll win prizes from first attempt.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • PostieJohn
    jim453 wrote:

Bizarrely enough that highlights the point I was trying, and obviously failing to make, assuming you're not Wayne Rooney!.
    Alex Ferguson wouldn't take me on, because I have a ball, Graham Souness might :lol:.

Is there any precedent for someone with a pen getting published?

To which the answer is:-

You have a zero percent chance of them including your musings, even on a quiet week.
    As no matter how good it is, a small insignificant section of The Sunday Times which isn't even filled weekly, is still way to big to give to a bloke who happens to be bored, one morning.

That's all I wanted to know.
  • jim453
    PostieJohn wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

Bizarrely enough that highlights the point I was trying, and obviously failing to make, assuming you're not Wayne Rooney!.
    Alex Ferguson wouldn't take me on, because I have a ball, Graham Souness might :lol:.

You have a zero percent chance of them including your musings, even on a quiet week.
    As no matter how good it is, a small insignificant section of The Sunday Times which isn't even filled weekly, is still way to big to give to a bloke who happens to be bored, one morning.

For goodness sake John don't give up. If you enjoy your writing then write a blog or something. Just keep on self publicising it on cake stop every time you add another bit, that's what everyone else does and it makes me read them. Not bad too, some of them.

However, are you seriously expecting me to believe that you considered the possibillity that the editor of a major broadsheet was just scratching his arse and waiting for a member of the public to post in some feature or other to fill up his paper?

Had you not thought of starting smaller? Local paper? Parish magazine?

Good luck with the blog John, can't wait to read the first instalment.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    jim453 wrote:
    PostieJohn wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

For goodness sake John don't give up. If you enjoy your writing then write a blog or something. Just keep on self publicising it on cake stop every time you add another bit, that's what everyone else does and it makes me read them. Not bad too, some of them.

However, are you seriously expecting me to believe that you considered the possibillity that the editor of a major broadsheet was just scratching his ars* and waiting for a member of the public to post in some feature or other to fill up his paper?

Had you not thought of starting smaller? Local paper? Parish magazine?

Good luck with the blog John, can't wait to read the first instalment.
    i wouldn't do such a thing
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666