Haussler interview

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited February 2011 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    what a prick
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • iainf72
    gsk82 wrote:
    what a prick

Which one, the guy who got knocked off and had his season mucked up or the guy who refused to apologise and may have spat at HH?
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,921
    It was HH's fault anyway. It was a racing crash, they happen. Grow a pair and get on with it.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    rozzer32 wrote:
    It was HH's fault anyway. It was a racing crash, they happen. Grow a pair and get on with it.

How so? I seriously doubt the spitting story, but to me at least, it looked like Cav caused the crash.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Garry H wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

How so? I seriously doubt the spitting story, but to me at least, it looked like Cav caused the crash.
    Your eyes may have deceived you, Grasshopper.

Haussler was sprinting in a straight line towards the finish.

Everyone knows that the best sprinters don't race in a straight line. They weave, dodge, draft and sometimes take someone down. On that occasion Cav was minding his own business swerving away, as he should, but got the blame because Haussler was going STRAIGHT. Tsk. There's no justice in the world!

:wink:
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Chrissie Wellington is miles ahead of every other female ironman triathlete on the planet. When current men's IM world champ Chris McCormack was asked what he'd do if he was one of Chrissie's female competitors, he said something along the lines of "I'd make it known I didn't like her. I'd try to get in her head and mess with her. Because that's the only way I'd be able to beat her."
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Excellent, this is real, I'll take it any day over the Bertie Andy love in.
  • paggnr
    paggnr Posts: 101
    Haussler is just saying what a lot of people are thinking.

Cav is downright dangerous. Another 3 crashes in the TDU and now this one - can this man handle a bike.

Now before you jump all over me - he could smash me on a bike with no legs and blindfolded, but seriously his handling skills for a pro are appauling and dangerous to all around him.

It's one thing to be the 'fastest' man in the world - but you have to cross the line.
    Cheers
    Pagey
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    paggnr wrote:
    Haussler is just saying what a lot of people are thinking.

Cav is downright dangerous. Another 3 crashes in the TDU and now this one - can this man handle a bike.

Now before you jump all over me - he could smash me on a bike with no legs and blindfolded, but seriously his handling skills for a pro are appauling and dangerous to all around him.

It's one thing to be the 'fastest' man in the world - but you have to cross the line.

Er the TDU crash was his fault? Your downright dangerous comment is reaching at best, HH fan by any chance?
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    paggnr wrote:

:D I reckon he's probably better than most in the bike handling department......crashes are always going to happen when the racing is a fast as it is in the races that Cav enters.......I mean its not as if he's Menchov!!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    He's another whingeing Aussie :wink:

To be serious, saying Cav can't handle a bike is like saying Cancellera can't time trial. You might argue he takes undue risks or he is crosses the line of what is acceptable at times but he's a good bike handler - you don't win that many bunch sprints without having that in your game.

As for that crash - HH was riding with his head down and whilst I'm not saying that it was his fault that did play a part in them coming off. As Cav said at the time, earlier in that sprint someone (can't remember who now - could have been HH) swerved across him in a more dangerous manner than Cav went across HH; and Petacchi routinely sprints from one side of the road to the other. What Cav did may have been the primary cause of the accident but it's also something that happens all the time without those consequences.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    gsk82 wrote:
    what a prick

Completely unfair comment.

Sure, he comes across as being a little bitter, but he obviosuly feels Cav was completely out of order (not just in terms of causing the crash, but his reaction afterwards). He's angry that (what he perceived as) Cav's recklessness and f-you attitude ruined his season.

Putting aside the respective public opinion as to whether Cav was/is at fault, HH's stance is understandable. Personally, I'm not sure whether I agree, but it's understandable.

Cav is a winner and has a very focussed attitude on the bike, which often manifests itself in a rather ugly way. And let's face it, it ain't just HH that has an axe to grind...

Resentment/jealousy may well also play a part, but let's be sensible............
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,921
    OK so Cav has crashed a few times this year. How many times did he crash last year??

So he is having some bad luck. Bad bike handling skills?? Have you seen him race a madison on the track? Cav has got some of the best handling skills going, in fact all the top sprinters have good bike handling skills, you have to when your in a bunch going 60 kph.

Yes the crash was HH's fault. OK he sprinted in a straight line but he had his head done for f**k sake. Who in their right mind would sprint looking down? Cav moved off his line to try and block HH and put him off, OK this is a bit dangerous but if HH was looking up then he would have seen that and moved over as well.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    i'm sure i read in a couple of places last season that it wasn't the crash that caused his knee injury.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    We don't want a nice bit of prejudice getting in the way of the facts do we guys?

Check this out again…. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNAYR3KPIg

See what you think, I’m thinking Cav’s drifting from right to left not straight and not good.
    Haussler sprinting straight but starring at his bottom bracket also not good in truth both are dangerous.

Here’s another guy who liked to stare at his bottom bracket whilst sprinting…..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNAYR3KPIg

Moral of the story is :- if you can’t see where your going your unlikely to be able to take avoiding action and also the fact that Haussler couldn’t make the Worlds should be reason enough to start to watching out incase someone does something stupid next time.

Haussler had the right to redress if he had been baulked whilst sprinting. Cavendish knows that as he has been done before. (Loss of Green Jersey in TDF).
    :roll:
  • pedro118118
    Seems to me that Haussler's gripe with Cav wasn't necessarily the crash, or indeed who was responsible for it.
    HH seems more aggreived at what transpired afterwards (insults and/or spitting?).

On the face of it, Cav doesn't seem to deal with blame very well - it's always someone else's fault - again comes down to this 'win at all costs' mentality I suppose: -

"...the barriers came in, so I didn't block Thor..."
    "...it was Garmin's fault for chasing George down..."
    "...Haussler shouldn't have been sprinting with his head down..."
    "...Julian Dean was being disruptive and Renshaw had no choice, but to head-butt him, three times..."
    "...Farrar shouldn't have taken his hands off his bars when he got boxed in by Renshaw..."
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    We don't want a nice bit of prejudice getting in the way of the facts do we guys?

See what you think, I’m thinking Cav’s drifting from right to left not straight and not good.
    Haussler sprinting straight but starring at his bottom bracket also not good in truth both are dangerous.

Moral of the story is :- if you can’t see where your going your unlikely to be able to take avoiding action and also the fact that Haussler couldn’t make the Worlds should be reason enough to start to watching out incase someone does something stupid next time.

Haussler had the right to redress if he had been baulked whilst sprinting. Cavendish knows that as he has been done before. (Loss of Green Jersey in TDF).

It's the same video.
  • Ron Stuart
    csp wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

It's the same video.

Apologies try this bottom bracket starer..... http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x69qvs ... ujap_sport
  • Matt Rendell had something to say about him today.... 'That's just haussler...' referring to him complaining in the sprint.
  • pedro118118
    Why are we still debating who was at fault in the crash at the TdS?

The resentment clearly goes well beyond crash blame, it seems far more deep-rooted than that. Of course, winners are, generally, unpopular (for obvious reasons), but this does seem personal - the quesion is why?
  • Ron Stuart

Because my dear chap, that is what this post is about :roll: :roll: :oops: and if you look very carefully at the article linked in the original post you might just see a photo of the crash at the head of the article :cry:
  • pedro118118
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Because my dear chap, that is what this post is about :roll: :roll: :oops: and if you look very carefully at the article linked in the original post you might just see a photo of the crash at the head of the article :cry:

Fair point, I suppose, but the TdS crash debate has been done to death and as become boring - a case can be made to defend/blame either rider, depending on personal interpretation.

More interesting is the seething resentment the whole incident (inc the aftermath) has caused between HH and Cav.
  • Haussler is one of my favourite riders, but can't help feeling he needs to let this one go a bit. Perhaps he never really got over Milan San-Remo and then this crash just sealed it. Whichever or whatever it is he needs to let his bike do the talking, though against Cav in a sprint, that just might not be enough...
    Mens agitat molem
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    bazbadger wrote:
    Haussler is one of my favourite riders, but can't help feeling he needs to let this one go a bit. Perhaps he never really got over Milan San-Remo and then this crash just sealed it. Whichever or whatever it is he needs to let his bike do the talking, though against Cav in a sprint, that just might not be enough...

It's just mind games surely? If you can't beat 'em... etc
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Fair point, I suppose, but the TdS crash debate has been done to death and as become boring - a case can be made to defend/blame either rider, depending on personal interpretation.

More interesting is the seething resentment the whole incident (inc the aftermath) has caused between HH and Cav.

Indeed and that is why I contributed my previous thread. My point was that IMO they were both at fault in the incident and it is high time that Haussler realized that and as others on this post have intimated... moved-on.

Haussler’s a top rider, he won yesterdays stage in the Tour of Qatar and I have been a fan for some time but if he wants to continue to do well he must focus more on what he is doing and not get involved with grudges towards other riders.
    Let the judges do the judging :wink:
  • iainf72
    Sounds like Cavendish has apologised to Haussler today.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:

Probably a good decision by Cav, regardless of the rights and wrongs of this story, it's never a good idea to have too many enemies.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Ron Stuart
    iainf72 wrote:

Probably a good decision by Cav, regardless of the rights and wrongs of this story, it's never a good idea to have too many enemies.

Bravo that man :P
  • pedro118118
    Good effort from Cav - time to move on etc
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/02/news/haussler-says-he-accepted-cavendishs-apology-for-tour-de-suisse-crash_159497

Couple of interesting titbits though...

Boonen asked if he's still friendly with Cavendish, “I never was!” he said with a laugh. “No, no, no, we have a basic relationship, that’s it.”

Final salvo from HH on the move, which got ride of Cavendish yesterday., “We wanted to put it a bit in the gutter because there were guys sitting on the back and we wanted to teach them a lesson"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Couple of interesting titbits though...

Boonen asked if he's still friendly with Cavendish, “I never was!” he said with a laugh. “No, no, no, we have a basic relationship, that’s it.”

Indeed, that's been going on for a while.

A couple years ago when the sprinter season was billed Cav vs Boonen, Cav came out guns blazing and Boonen took offence, given they'd barely spoken.

S'been like that since.