I have an Eating Disorder

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Afternoon

Over the last couple of years everyone here has been really great to me and for that, I thank you, however I have a dirty secret that , in order to overcome, I feel I must share.

This post is a "Oh look at me" attention seeking post, its about me, being bloody honest for once, I came out over this weekend about the fact I am a suffer of Selective eating disorder

I posted a few articles about it and me

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpre ... -disorder/

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpre ... -do-i-eat/

It was hard to do, but something im so glad I did, the reason for this, is to explain to all those over the years that asked me what I eat and never got a straight answer, this is why, not because I was being a food, because I am someone with issues, I am working thought them and admitting them now, to myself and everyone else, Lets hope by doing this I can do to SED, what I did to obesity.

Thanks Everyone

PS if there is anyone else out there that suffers , please feel free to get in touch, I used to think I was the only person in the world that suffered.
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    edited February 2011
    Do I understand correctly, Haribo type things, Doritos and chocolate were all you ever ate?
  • gb155
    suzyb wrote:
    Do I understand correctly, Haribo type things, Doritos and chocolate all you ever ate?

Yup, nowt else in the last 27 years

• suzyb
    gb155 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Do I understand correctly, Haribo type things, Doritos and chocolate all you ever ate?

And you've lost all that weight still eating the same just less of it. That sounds really unhealthy, possibly as unhealthy as being overweight.

Good to hear your trying to beat this as well now.
  • gb155
    suzyb wrote:
    gb155 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

And you've lost all that weight still eating the same just less of it. That sounds really unhealthy, possibly as unhealthy as being overweight.

Good to hear your trying to beat this as well now.

Yup....Time to change !!!!!!

• Buy lots of things you think you don't like and give them a try (just a nibble or even a lick).

I'm 11st and 5'10" and moderately fit/lean, but don't perceive fruit as a snack, it's biscuits and chocolate and crisps that appeal. Not sure if it's conditioning from adverts, supermarkets or childhood. I eat fruit on purpose, even when I don't fancy it. I buy fruit instead of 'snacks' and take it to work (where we have no shops), so when that 'snack' feeling comes on it's there.

Mrs Meanie is about 8.5st, and her diet revolves around Maltesers, Nutella sandwiches and apple pie & ice cream. We have difficulty getting enough calories into her, while trying to remove the temptation (for me) from the cupboards.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Gaz,
    That you had that diet makes that astonishing weight loss, well, more astonishing still. Best of luck with this food fight. Sure it won't be easy, no more than the weight loss was...but you clearly have the inner strength to do it.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • gb155
    StuAff wrote:
    Gaz,
    That you had that diet makes that astonishing weight loss, well, more astonishing still. Best of luck with this food fight. Sure it won't be easy, no more than the weight loss was...but you clearly have the inner strength to do it.

Thanks

For the first time in my life, I actually agree with the bolded bit

Bring ....It......On

Gaz

• richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Well done Gaz. My money is on you succeeding with sorting this out & you've taken the next (first?) step.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Good luck with this Gaz.

Admitting your problem and sharing it is a good first step but you need some sort of strategy to change, and this has to be something that YOU take ownership of not just what other recommend.

I've had some experience of limited diets but that has mainly been a result of working in 'demanding environments'. I had chicken and rice every day for 49 days straight (except for the day that they ran out of chicken :cry: ). Like many others there have been periods when I've eaten too much junk and ate whole packets of biscuits at a sitting so have some concept of where you are coming from. These days I try to have a big breakfast of cereal or porridge and try to buy apples or bananas rather than processed sugary things.

Life changes ain't easy. Set short term targets and reward yourself for success with something other than food. Don't allow yourself to be defined as just that guy that lost a load of weight and had SED.

Hope to be hearing from you on the forum on some mudane subject, like RLJ, the merits of helmets, whether Shimano is better than Campag....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Gaz, as others have said, being out in the open about this is a great first step, so well done.

The TV series Freaky Eaters may hold some advice for you - lots of people on there who would absolutely gag at the thought of something that's not on their normal food list. One (perfectly slim) lass lived off chips and tomato ketchup, as I recall, but managed to finally eat a normal meal with friends and family.

Anyway, the solution I think was patience - buckets of - to keep trying small amounts of new foods; and pscyhotherapy, to work out why you've developed SED in the first place and fix it that way.

Do reward yourself, definitely, for making progress along the way, like trying 5 new foods this week.
  • Hi Gaz, thanks for the post, it is nice to feel we can be taken into your confidence. I can see how this is disturbing for you but it doesn't change my regard for you, nor I'm sure, that of others on this forum.

I was a fussy eater when young, over-indulged only child but this is on a totally different scale. Your life must be quite complicated, to say the least. Now you have "lanced the boil" so-to-say, I hope you can feel more confident to deal with it. You have already done more than most to re-set your life I am sure that this can be taken in your stride.

Best Wishes,

Chris.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    Astonishing story. You have my utmost admiration.

It's amazing what the human body can survive on, though. Either we are generally misled about the vitamins and minerals we need to stay healthy/alive, or what I imagined were worthless snacks, are in fact truly nutritious!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I've said it before, but... wow. I'm more than impressed.

Out of interest, can you cook? Does anyone close to you cook from raw ingredients? I'm continually surprised by aversions to food, and I associate it with a lack of understand of how food works. I might be wrong.

Hat, by the way.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I takes a big man to come out and tell the world, with that and your weight loss you should be damn proud of yourself. Have sent you a PM.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Not only is your weight loss astonishing but surviving so long on such an unhealthy diet makes you a medical miracle. Respect that you now try to make good nutrition your priority. Maybe now you get even thinner?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • You're the sort of person tht the filmmakers should be queuing up to show as a shining example of someone with the honesty and will to make an amazing transformation to their life.

huge respect to you
  • gb155
    You're the sort of person tht the filmmakers should be queuing up to show as a shining example of someone with the honesty and will to make an amazing transformation to their life.

huge respect to you

Thanks but your too kind, im just me, trying to fix a few problems I got :D

• Massive props mate. You should be proud to be dealing with your problem.

One thing: was anyone else, upon seeing the thread title, immediately reminded of the 'drinking problem' gag in 'Airplane!'?
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • You will and already are beating this Gaz.

Make sure you keep us updated on your progress which I'm sure you will.

A question I have, not particually for Gaz but anyone who knows anything about nutrition, how does the body survive without getting certain nutrients? There must have been big chunks of requirements Gaz was totally missing out on and yet he was cycling, and cycling well judging by his impressive times and distances.

I'm genuinely interested as I don't understand.

Ben
  • Gaz - you don't stop surprising me!

Worse surprise so far has been the mountain bike habit.

Did you ever see BBC3 series 'Freaky Eaters' - typically sympathetic title - I only ever saw one episode in which subject only ate cheese.

Good luck with this latest challenge. You do have the will power and track record to be confident of beating this problem.
  • gb155
    BenBlyth wrote:
    You will and already are beating this Gaz.

Make sure you keep us updated on your progress which I'm sure you will.

A question I have, not particually for Gaz but anyone who knows anything about nutrition, how does the body survive without getting certain nutrients? There must have been big chunks of requirements Gaz was totally missing out on and yet he was cycling, and cycling well judging by his impressive times and distances.

Ben

Thanks Ben

TBH, now I am strting to look and think about my eating issues, it does make me wonder too, for I can cycle for HOURS on end, do a full days work, cycle for an hour or so at night, yet not eat anything that im supposed to !

I too am genuinely interested on how it works, it might help me better understand a few more things

• gb155
    Gaz - you don't stop surprising me!

Worse surprise so far has been the mountain bike habit.

Did you ever see BBC3 series 'Freaky Eaters' - typically sympathetic title - I only ever saw one episode in which subject only ate cheese.

Good luck with this latest challenge. You do have the will power and track record to be confident of beating this problem.

Thanks for your confidence in me , The MTB'ing has been replaced with SS'ing for now :D

Never saw that no, like being obese I used to not watch it so I didnt have to admit that I was suffering too, I am downloading them now tho.

Gaz

• gb155
    davis wrote:

Out of interest, can you cook? Does anyone close to you cook from raw ingredients? I'm continually surprised by aversions to food, and I associate it with a lack of understand of how food works. I might be wrong.

Hat, by the way.

Nop, Cant cook, scared to enter as kitchen at all because of the sights and smells

you might be onto something here, THANKS

Gaz

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    gb155 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Ordering stuff from Wiggle probably doesn't help
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gb155 wrote:
    BenBlyth wrote:

Ben
    I too am genuinely interested on how it works, it might help me better understand a few more things

There are only a few essential amino acids and ions you need to consume. Your body can metabolise others into the others it needs. Most are fairly common in foods in varying levels. Wouldn't surprise me if you're suffering from malnutrition in some areas Gaz - if you can stomach it (no pun intended) try some a-z style multi vit pills. It could easily be that you consumed very very low levels of these essential ones but due to the volume of food you ate - you actually still got what you needed...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_amino_acid

Impressive work and good luck battling your next fight. You've done the first real fight, the rest I imagine will fall easily now you know you have the will power.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    gb155 wrote:
    Nop, Cant cook, scared to enter as kitchen at all because of the sights and smells

Gaz

I'm going to suggest something blasphemous... put the next round of bike money into a series of evening cooking classes.

You don't need to be able to cook well to eat well, I certainly can't but do tend to stick to healthy foods. Staples of my shops tend to be

[Raw] Chicken, Turkey, Tuna, Minced beef or pork
    Jars of some tomato-based sauce
    Broccoli, Carrots, Peppers
    Pasta, Rice
    Eggs, Cheese.
    Fruit.

None of which require any finesse, just apply heat for a given time and wait. Possibly chop stuff up first if you're feeling ambitious :)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • suzyb
    gb155 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Ordering stuff from Wiggle probably doesn't help
    Except the past couple of orders I've had from wiggle have included shakes and not Haribo :(
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    dhope
    Just as a side note, I use a tin of chopped tomatoes inside of the 'premade' sauces. Cooked with some onion, garlic and a shake of chopped mixed herbs. Quick to do and cheaper and tastier! :D

You know exactly what's going into it then too.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    gb155 wrote:
    davis wrote:

Hat, by the way.

Gaz

^ This sounds like an excellent idea, as do the cookery classes. Maybe if you get the hang of that then this is something you could incorporate into what you want to do in terms of helping others do what you have done.

On a less serious note, cookery also offers an entirely new area to by lots of shiny kit, although you'll have to find another supply than Wiggle.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • You really do amaze me Gaz.

Well done with the orange - I've got to say the texture of oranges really puts me off, it's not just you.

If you like the Xtreme Chilli Heatwave Doritos, how about real chilli? Maybe eaten with plain tortilla chips?
    Depending how you feel about handling meat, the quorn meat replacement products might be a good place to start - the texture is quite different (drier to start with), it doesn't have any strong smell, and arguably it's healthier.
    Honestly, chilli is very easy to cook - you chuck all the ingredients into a big pan and simmer for an hour. The chilli flavour is 99% down to spices - buy pre-mixed chilli seasoning from the supermarket. If you add enough it will overpower any other flavour!

Also - if you're going to try a new food every fortnight or whatever, you might as well make sure they're healthy ones. Buy a microwave steamer and steam vegetables until you find ones you like.
    Step two is to combine them into a stirfry :)

Cooking can be just as much fun as cycling, and if you control the environment you do it in as well as the process itself there's no reason why you need special help or training to do it.
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!