Afan forest routes

quiksilversbs
quiksilversbs Posts: 22
edited February 2011 in Routes
hiya, me a mate are thinking of goin to afan forest for a weekend and was wondering what are the best routes to do and is there any where cheap for us to stay? Cheers! :)

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    There's only really 3 marked trails to chose from. White's Level is the most technical, about 10 miles, interesting climb, good descent.

Skyline starts at the same place and with the same climb, it's 27 miles with lots of fireroad, not worth doing IMO - the best bit is the final descent, which can be accessed from the climb at the start anyway.

The Wall starts a couple of miles up the road, got some good descending, but a lot of fireroad, particularly at the beginning.

There's also W2, which combines the Wall and Whites, that's about 35 miles IIRC.

Depends what you're up for really! W2's a good bet if you want a decent ride.
  • Yeah W2 sounds like the one for the saturday and we just want a mess around on the sunday really.

Also is there any other decent places to go around that area of Wales?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Vast amounts, depends if you want to do it by map, or are wanting waymarked trails.

Cwmcarn's worth a visit too if you're coming along the M4, there's only the one short XC loop there though, good to do on the way back, I used to go and do a few laps to make it longer.
  • Stu T
    Stu T Posts: 127
    Skyline is actually brilliant in my opinion, good out there ride.

can stay here it's on the Wall

http://www.brynbettws.com/about/
    I wear Lycra because I like the way it feels
  • yea iv heard about Cwncarn i think that could be a good shout, as well will be driving that way! Perfect, Cheers!!! :D

Thanks Stu il have a look at that!

Cheers guys! :)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I enjoyed Brechfa, which is not too far away from Afan... there's an article on it in this months MBR.

+ 1 for the White's climb and Sklyline descent at Afan
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • yea i was reading it yesterday and it looked good, me and my mate have got a few decisions to make for out sunday ride now then! :) cheers
  • gasgas
    gasgas Posts: 33
    i can recomend the afan lodge as somewhere to stay, i think its about £30 a night and that includes a great breakfast!

theres a nice bar area and the rooms are very nicely furnished

its about a 10 minute cycle from whites level, its a great warmup before the 6km climb!

i cant wait to go there again soon!
  • thats sound brilliant aslong as it has a bar for a few pints after a long ride will be perfect! :)

cheers mate! :)
  • gasgas
    if you really want a good drinking sesh at afan, go to the rugby club, its excellent.

the locals are proper friendly and its just over a pound a pint! :D
  • Stu T
    Stu T Posts: 127
    gasgas wrote:
    if you really want a good drinking sesh at afan, go to the rugby club, its excellent.

the locals are proper friendly and its just over a pound a pint! :D

What rugby club?? There are a few. It's south wales
    I wear Lycra because I like the way it feels
  • OMG u shudnt of sed that i wont get much riding in if its just over a pound a pint lol :P
  • gasgas
    its the glynngorwgg rugby club just up the road from skyline cycles campsite.

it takes whites to a whole new level (pardon the punn) the next morning after 10 pints! :?
  • sounds good il defiantly keep that place in mind! :)