Which bike to upgrade?

Nutlog
Nutlog Posts: 13
edited February 2011 in MTB general
I have a 2010 specialized P1 all mountian and a GT pantera 2005 (ish) both frames are in excellent condition one beocause its new and the other because its been hibernating for a while.

Now, a new bike is out of the question (the wife would kill me) so a little help is required, which bike would you recommend to spend some "hard" earned cash on?

Comments

• erm - correct me if I'm wrong, but the p1 is a dirt jump type bike and the pantera is a regular xc/trail bike? Quite different bikes really. If the p1 is nearly new - it should be working well unless theres any componants your really not happy with.

As the GT is older, perhaps its due a bit of love. Obviously, depending on how much your planning on spending, work out whether your get a better bike by selling the GT and getting an all new machine or whether a few upgrades will give you the best bang for your buck.
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    What are you hoping to achieve by upgrading, better brakes,forks,wheels,what type of riding? Are the bikes standard at the moment?
  • Nutlog
    yep, your correct the P1 is a jump bike however the P1 all mountain appears to be nothing but a hardrock in different clothes. (i may be mistaken but that why i got it).

yep the usual upgrades are what i'm looking at, you know fork wheels brakes etc, the GT has syncros bar, stem, wheels and seat post so might just switch them to whichever bike gets the nod.

the end result whichever one is selected will be a "capable" XC/trail bike.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Nutlog wrote:
    yep, your correct the P1 is a jump bike however the P1 all mountain appears to be nothing but a hardrock in different clothes. (i may be mistaken but that why i got it).

Appearances can be deceptive.
  • Jack 123
    Jack 123 Posts: 118
    What do you want to do with the bike Xc trail? I would upgrade the specialized get a new fork and a new wheel set maby some new hydros. How much do you want to spend because I found some great deals on Fulcrum red metal 5 wheels and a RS Recon fork for like 350 that would be a sweet upgrade and you could use the stuff on both bikes.
  • Nutlog
    Thanks, the bike would be getting used for a bit of everything, nothing serious therefore weight and stuff like that is not an issue. The budget is a max £500. I'll look into that wheel set and fork.

Thanks