Cube bikes

dilemna
dilemna Posts: 2,187
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at doing some audax events and possibly touring. I was recommnended to try Cube bikes. The name sounds a but naff really. I have found the Cube website and see they are German so maybe have to take the naff comment back as thinking the quality might actually be quite good - Mercedes, Ortlieb ........... I can just about accept having German panniers but a bike???

Anyway are Cube bikes or the frames any good? I'll have about £1000 to spend maybe a bit more if the bike is special. I don't want an out and out road bike though.

TIA.
Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
Think how stupid the average person is.......
half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.

Comments

• JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    Cube bikes and BeOne bikes from chainreaction are really really good bikes, I cant talk for ones in your 1,000 price range but the high end ones are super stiff and very lightweight. I'll probably get laughed at for this but i have a BeOne pearl and a Tarmac sl2, prefer my beone so much more for crit racing.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    the Cube bikes have a good reputation. I was recently researching £1800 bikes for a mate and I didn't find a bad word.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    maddog 2 wrote:
    the Cube bikes have a good reputation. I was recently researching £1800 bikes for a mate and I didn't find a bad word.

This, plus, I thought CUBE was a pretty cool name!
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi delmna
    I've also been checking out the Cube range with a view to upgrading to a carbon frame at some point in the future (Recently bought a Spesh Secteur Elite but as always I'm looking at the next step on the ladder)

Just put Cube into the search criteria on here and you will find several threads discussing the merits from satisfied buyers.

For your budget you may not be able to stretch to carbon but their Alu framed bikes are well reviewed. A few extra £'s could get you a 2010 Cube Agree SL with Ultegra groupset - although sizes could be limited

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... ?&id=12732

In your price range is the Cube Attempt which still looks like a great bike for the money

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... ?&id=15397

Get along to a local stockist ( you can find them under the "Dealer" section on the Cube website) and have a ride on one or two models.

Don't think you will be disappointed.
  • they are always well reviewed and the consensus is you get more bang for your buck in terms of spec. the other thing i would say is they have great colour schemes and the bikes look very classy (subjective i know).

ive ridden the peloton alu and the litening carbon. the litening is particularly nice and uber light and stiff.

i just sold a litening ultegra for just over a grand on a 2010 plate so you may be surprised what you can get second hand.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • JRooke wrote:
    Cube bikes and BeOne bikes from chainreaction are really really good bikes, I cant talk for ones in your 1,000 price range but the high end ones are super stiff and very lightweight. I'll probably get laughed at for this but i have a BeOne pearl and a Tarmac sl2, prefer my beone so much more for crit racing.

Sorry for hijack thread. Interesting comment on Beone as there is not much review info out there. However, Beone bikes going cheap on CRC at minute.

What year model do you have and size? Thinking one might be good racer for heavy 90+kg 6' 3" rider
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Cube bike seem to be the top choice for most of the (german) bike holiday rental companies in Mallorca, and they wouldn't buy any old tosh as it would be a financial liability.

Last year I took a close look at the brand, and was very impressed by the quality, level of components for the price and classy looks, I would get one myself but the misses would finally string me up if I did!
  • leeroy72
    leeroy72 Posts: 330
    I am on my second Cube...top class bikes i kid you not. Go and try them to find out for yourself.
    Before i purchased a carbon model i tried a lot of bikes including Cannondale, Giant, Specialized, Felt, Trek but at my price range nothing really got me going like the Cube Agree GTC SL (well apart from a Colnago which i could not justify at the time and which i am currently saving for but don't tell wor lass).

I doubt you will be disappointed.
    Find your limits...and then exceed them frequently
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    JRooke wrote:

Sorry for hijack thread. Interesting comment on Beone as there is not much review info out there. However, Beone bikes going cheap on CRC at minute.

What year model do you have and size? Thinking one might be good racer for heavy 90+kg 6' 3" rider

2010, 59cm, im 6,2 but I weigh in at around 63.5kg, cant decide whether to get the 57cm 2009 bmc pro machine at evans or the new 2011 beone raw, might toss a coin tomorrow morning!
  • I agree, no pun intended, with Leeroy. I purchased 2010 Agree GTC SL in December. Paid £1780 and its is a superb machine. For the money not much else comes close. I also considered Trek and Cannondale, but the Cube is the best VFM.
    Cube Agree GTC SL
    Trek 1.2
    Old custom MTB
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for your opinions everyone who advised on Cube bikes, and even those who posted irrelevant stuff. The new thread button is sooo handy.

Anyway had a bit of a tink today. I already have a Trek road bike specced with Ultegra through out so I'm now thinking of one of these for much longer distances where you have to carry stuff. I would fit a solid fork such as the kinesis which I would do myself. I'd also fit bar ends. But I love the colour scheme.

http://www.cube.eu/en/tour/global-trave ... -grey-red/

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/detail.asp/sk ... Cross_Fork

Unfortunately there are no Cube dealers near me. The closest is Leicester then Grimsby!

However seeing NapD's post yesterday on Featherlite frames I might just have an Audax frame made by them and then build it up my self. As nice as the Cube Delhi is, it might not be that suited for Audax as probably drop handle bars woudl be better and make for a faster bike although long distance touring is no different to Audax in my mind albeit not against the clock. Maybe a handbuilt Roberts or Mercian. I couldn't afford a complete bike from these artisans. Or maybe a Van Nicholas audax frame with a Rohloff hub is a better idea? ££££

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/detail.asp/sk ... loff_Frame

I still like the Cube though, a lot. This might change though when I sees it in the flesh and ride it.

Thanks again to those who have offered advice.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Just to throw another option in the pot, I'd love to get my hands on a Ti Road frame - think that'll probably be my next bike although it will be a few years.

http://www.burls.co.uk/index.php

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • taimur
    taimur Posts: 173
    Bought my Cube Agree SL 2010 for 1050 from CRC.

Seems to be their best road racer in Alloy.
    8.10kg, Full Ultegra, Easton Wheels, Syntace seat and handle.

being a die hard cannondale fan, it took 4 months of research to convince my self away from cannondale and other alternatives, on to Cube.

The gambol is paying of its an excellent value for money. Weighs less than most carbon bikes that i have had the option to compare with and is STIFF. I am 89kgs and get no feeling of pudgyness
    1996 Cannondale M500 CAAD3 (Hardtail MTB)
    2007 Cannondale F700 CAAD
    2010 Cube Agree SL (Road, retired)
    2011 Cube Litening Super HPC DI2 Frame, with Ultegra Di2 Components
  • cracking bikes i have a cube agree pro with full ultegra and its ace ive done 8 hours rides on it no problem, very fast very comfortable. ive just bought a wilier and to be honest its not a patch on the cube and in the month ive owned the wilier its back to the shop with it tonight for the 5 time. in the time ive had my cube ive washed it lots and had 3 punctures other than that perfect. Ive got campag centaur on my wilier which seems a joke after the ultegra. best biek for the money i feel and i researched loads before i bought mine. im selling my cube now to pay for the mistake of the wilier (im hoping to love it in time) if not im selling it to the guy in the shop. If you pass mallorca your welcome to test it here for a week and if you like it you can buy it and i will pay for you to fly it back to the uk! cant say fairer than that. honeslty though a great bike. I can post it!!! wink wink haha
  • I ride on the dark side also, and l bit the bullit on the advice of many and purchased a Cube LTD Race MTB @£1099. I am very impressed with evrything, build, finish, value for money.
    Additionally, my mate brought a cube road bike, which has served him well, and looks ace after twelve months riding.
    Go for it!
  • Good tattoos too.............;-)
    I'm not fat, I'm big boned......
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Got my first road bike last year. Cube Peleton 09. Only had budget of £800 and the Cube was by far the best spec'd bike for the money, full 105 triple (except FSA chain set). Looked at Spesh, Treks and Scotts and they came nowhere near. Got mine from LBS and they even threw in Look Keos.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    leeroy72 wrote:
    I am on my second Cube...top class bikes i kid you not. Go and try them to find out for yourself.
    Before i purchased a carbon model i tried a lot of bikes including Cannondale, Giant, Specialized, Felt, Trek but at my price range nothing really got me going like the Cube Agree GTC SL (well apart from a Colnago which i could not justify at the time and which i am currently saving for but don't tell wor lass).

I doubt you will be disappointed.

I second this and my Cube is my 2nd carbon.

I can't really comment on what you'd be able to get for a grand, but I love my Cube to bits and I would really struggle to get another bike with the same spec as mine for just over £2k (without pedals). Cube have always been strong in the MTB world and have only fairly recently moved to high end road bikes. Give it a year or 2 and they will get more well known, and as soon as you start seeing them in the peleton the price will no doubt rocket.