too far a commute :(

2»

Comments

• thanks chaps, comes from experience of different routes. 2000 to 2500 is a grey area depending on fitness, but most people should be able to get to a position where 1900' for example could be done day in day out, whereas few but the very fittest and most devoted would subject their body to 2500+ every day. My commute is just over 2700 and whilst I have done it 5 days in a row, I couldn't regularly do that. Tend to work up to 4 days a week after a winter lay off with wednesday on the train and that is all the exercise I want to do! It is of course also easier to do it more often when the weather is nice as the experience is a lot more pleasant generally
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    salsajake wrote:
    thanks chaps, comes from experience of different routes. 2000 to 2500 is a grey area depending on fitness, but most people should be able to get to a position where 1900' for example could be done day in day out, whereas few but the very fittest and most devoted would subject their body to 2500+ every day. My commute is just over 2700 and whilst I have done it 5 days in a row, I couldn't regularly do that. Tend to work up to 4 days a week after a winter lay off with wednesday on the train and that is all the exercise I want to do! It is of course also easier to do it more often when the weather is nice as the experience is a lot more pleasant generally

By late last year I was commonly doing between 2500 and 3700 feet a day. That wasn't 5 days a week normally as there'd usually be at least one day where I took a shorter route but even those were generally well over 1500 feet. Typically managing about 16,000 feet a week around November time. Quite hard really.....

Now I've dropped it off somewhat and I'm rationing the extended commutes - as a result of which I'm now quicker on my heavy steel framed mtb with dragging disc pads than I was last year on my touring bike :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pep wrote:
    It has been years since I came on this forum, but did so today for the very same reason. We were looking at a house this weekend but one of my issues is that it would add another 6 miles each way on my cycle commute and I wondered if that would be too far. My current commute is 8 miles each way. Having seen the responses to the original question I think I'm sold and perhaps soon that house will be too :-)

I hope is not the same house I'm looking at !

I'm not much concerned about 17miles each way. I'm more concerned that if I ride 17miles each way, from the current 8, I'll probably end up giving up swimming and cycling.
    Well, life can be good but never perfect after all....

I hope it is not the same house as I put a reservation fee down yesterday (it is a new build due to be complete in July) and is in the Swansea valley. So that's it, decision made, I shall certainly be getting the miles in now.