Vittoria Sidewall Weakness??

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
My front Vittoria Pave has just died. I had a small slit (1cm) in the sidewall and tonight while pumping it up, the Latex tube found it's way through and bang!!!

At £45 a pop plus new tube this is getting too expensive. Have any other vittoria users had similar issues or is it just a case of bad luck.

I may have to go back to GP4000s or look at another tyre.

Comments

• Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    If you hada slit in it then most likely some thing has cut it.So much garbage on the roads these days.
    I once got 30 yards across a carpark with a new tyre befor eit went bang, a nice piece of glass was to blame.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I realize this is not what you want to hear, but, next time buy a little heavier duty tire for a bit less cash and you won't feel so bad about cuts and flats. Save a few dollars on the tubes by using regular tubes instead of latex. I think the general consensus, on this forum, is that if you ride high dollar tires you had bettter be prepared to replace them when they do go. And they will GO. Up to you what you have to have in the way of rubber on your wheels but remember ALL tires go flat, get cuts, tubes blow. It's your money. Spend it on what you will. :wink::wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I did the same with a brand new conti GP4000s, sidewall cut on a large flint, so its just not vittorias mate.
  • NWLondoner
    I'm going to risk another Pave and just put it down to bad luck/timing.

Of all the tyres I have tried over the past few years they really are the only ones that do seem to be an all rounder.

GP4000s cut up really badly compared to my Paves and even the mighty Krylions cut up pretty bad plus they just feel so dead. Never had any confidence when corning whereas i feel 100% confident that the Paves will grip. Although beware for the 1st 100km or so as they take a tad longer to scrub in compared to other makes.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Could just be due to bad luck.

I had a set of these vredestein fortezza tricomps and within less than 7 days I had a huge sidewall cut and the tube was coming through it.

I had GP4000's a couple of years ago when they were cheap and they do cut easilly, Vittoria Rubino Pros are better tyres.
  • NWLondoner
    Ultremo DD look good.

Hmm maybe my love affair with Vittoria could be over :wink:
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Had similar problems a few too many times, so back to contis now.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I'm nearly though a set with no "problems" whatsoever. I mainly cycle around London and use the Pave as my everyday tyre.
  • It can happen to any tyre.....I just got 35 miles on a brand new Ultremo R.1 and the side wall is gone........the other one is fine.

It's usually just bad luck in my experience.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I use Vittoria Zaffiro slicks (23mm) on the commuter/trainer and the Plug Charge - all weathers, be it sleet, rain, sun, whatever. Everything apart from sleet, I run at 125 psi, drop them slightly for sleet. Admittedly I fell off on some ice a few weeks ago but that was a freak - ie the only patch in 20 miles …… - patch that also took out my mate on his Mich' Pro Race 3s (which I think are brilliant).

I've never had any problems at all with fitting, sidewalls, punctures, etc, and get roughly 9 months constant 25 - 30 miles a day use out of them (although the current ones are coming on for a year at the moment because they are fine and I'm too lazy to order any new ones).

My everyday route covers everything from rolling main roads to country lanes covered in farm cack to steep hills to coastal cobbled cycle paths - a bit Paris/Roubaix but with sand and seaweed and fit birds roller blading in the summer. I once got hit by half a brick that was lobbed over the seawall by the sea once, but that's another story.

Added bonus is that when I get on the good bike (Conti Sprint tubs) they make the good bike feel utterly wonderful.

Roll well, grip fine, not too heavy and at £6.99 each an absolute bargain. Normal Continental in the yellow box tubes. They also look pretty cool as well (well, IMHO).

Well recommended, unlike some Ultremos I had (sorry Markyboy) which split both sidewalls on both tyres in less than 100 miles and didn't roll as well as £40 tyres should. Full marks to Wiggle for the no quibbles refund though - very impressive (can I say that about Wiggle on here? :shock: ).

I think older Ultremos had a spate of this (after mine split I did some more research and a few people seem to have found this - I think that Schwalbe may have changed their design slightly after these issues so don't take my word as gospel.

Hope that helps!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I thought this was going to be a thread about that dog trainer off the tele.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    What Barbara Woodhouse? Urrrgh, that's like necrophilia that is. And I bet she smelt of wee wee when she was alive as well.