A big enough box...

D-Cyph3r
D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
edited February 2011 in MTB general
I need a box big enough to fit a frame, forks and pair of wheels (not necessarily assembled, obviously). Do you think my local LBS will be generous enough to give me one? Else wise what other options are there?

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    pack of biscuits + trip to LBS = box big enough for your needs
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Absolutely! Most LBS's are more than willing to part with a a bike box. I've gotten a few from various bike shops
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Andy B wrote:

Any particular biscuits?
  • i phoned around and one bike shop kept one to one side for me.
  • they can't be something like asda smart price, gotta be quality. Maryland cookies are a good bet.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Andy B wrote:

Why even bother with biscuits, places like Halfords are more than happy for you to take a box or two as it only fills up their recycling bin.
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    dark choc digestives will buy you 4 or five boxes
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I go to Halfords for mine, always make sure you pick out an Apollo one for extra cred (actually, the Apollo ones are seriously strong, I guess because of the immense weight of the bikes... The Boardman ones are relatively flimsy)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • whats with the biscuits?

all you're asking is that they don't throw a box away :?
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    it's a form of thank you ! get the ones from Aldi's only 35p for a pack . the mechanics will be your friend for life ;)
  • all bike shop workers Love biscuits! its the friendly fee of the trade! but not cheap biscuits!! chocolate digestives/hobnobs are almost instant discount worthy!!!!
    if i ever wanted some advice from the guys, i'd go and take biscuits/doghnuts as a please can i pick your brains in exchange of Food!!!
    it costs you very little to do and goes alod way witht he staff!! never hurts!!!! (if your an Uber creep like me you can even offer to make them a cuppa tea to go with!!! worksa a treat!!!)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • +1 to hobnobs :lol::lol:
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    Whilst your there ask for one or two of the plastic dropout spacers just in case the box gets sat on in transit.

Oh and i recomend foxes chocolate fudge crunch creams.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    jacob2910 wrote:
    +1 to hobnobs :lol::lol:

Yip.

Dark Chocolate Hobnobs are considered currency in several of the bike shops I have been into for a favour!

I have aquired brake mount adapters, various bolts, quick use of tools from the workshop and a bike box.....all traded for the DCHN's!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • If the LBS doesnt have any, or any of the local TV superstores (LCD TV boxes) I'm afraid that's it gonna have to be an online box company. They are about £10 plus about £8 shipping, due to not having boxes at LBS big enough to safely pack a whole bike in (you don't want parts rubbing against each other and wearing paint away etc) I had to resort to purchasing such an item....

Google 'bike/bicycle cardboard/packaging box"