Sram I-Light D730 Disc Dynamo Hub - repair

tavyabe
tavyabe Posts: 283
edited February 2011 in The workshop
Hi, I took my bike on an EasyJet flight in a CRC bike bag and it came back looking like they threw it out of the plane before landing. They have finally given me some money (after taking them to court) but I now have taks of repairing it. I have fixed everything except the front hub, which as the title suggests is an Sram I-Light D730 Disc Dynamo Hub, which I have been able to find from a German site for around £60 - LBS want £20 to build the wheele. So it will cost me £80 to replace. I was wondering whether anyone could help or provide me with a guide to see if I can fix it before spending the money on replacing - my LBS says they have no idea about dynamo hubs and I'm not having any joy elsewhere (Halfords etc.).

The problem basically is that there is too much friction when the hub spins, I can feel it when spinning in my hand and the wheel stops soon after setting it off spinning - it is definitely the hub and not the disc.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• That sounds pretty normal for a dyno hub. I have a SON dyno hub, when the light is on the front wheel will only spin 1 or 2 revolutions. With the light off it will spin longer, but I believe that SON has less rolling resistance when the lights are off than the SRAM version. If you have the wheel off the bike and try and turn the axle it should feel tight and notchy, the notches are the magnets passing one another as you turn the axle.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You can rebuild the wheel yourself, a good skill to learn, and let the LBS true it up for around £10.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.