USA Coast to Coast SF to NY

Howard Ashworth
Howard Ashworth Posts: 7
edited February 2011 in Tour & expedition
In summer 2006 I rode from San Francisco to New York City, a great trip through some incredible scenery. I completed the trip unsupported, with some planning but mostly flexible, camping out most nights, staying with locals I met on the way, plus the odd motel room.

There were two halves to this longstanding ambition - the trip itself & writing a book. I eventually got round to finishing the book last summer. Alcatraz to Liberty, £7.00 plus a little for postage, supporting a very worthwhile humanitarian project in Mozambique, a project set up by a cycling friend of mine here in Stirling.
The books are selling well but my wife wants the last of the boxes out from under the spare bed!

Post up a message if interested!

Comments

• any images or links? i would be interested if i could see it........
  • I don't have a website, sorry, but you will get a look at my front cover on the letters page of Cycling Plus this month.
  • ha okay, i refuse to buy the magazine after cancelling my subscription last year after the 900 bikes list in the back of it! Could you email me the front cover?
  • how long did it take you to complete the ride?

i am attempting san diego to jacksonville in 26 days this march!

www.jacksonvilleorbust.co.uk
  • Yep, I will e-mail the front cover.

The route I took was 49 days, including 2 days off & a couple of shorter days. Total mileage was 3600, I covered around 80 miles most days, up to 110 on a couple of occasions. I was limited to a certain extent by my teachers' holidays, i.e. I had to go in mid-summer which made for some interesting riding at temperatures of up to 47 degrees!

But a cracking trip! Would leave tomorrow to do the whole thing all over!
  • sounds brilliant, im also a teacher so i know what you mean! will pm my email