Another Allez

Sharpy_lad
Sharpy_lad Posts: 61
edited February 2011 in Your road bikes
Everyone likes a Specialized Allez so it seems - I certainly do. :lol:

First post alert, so excuse the forward nature of me showing my bike to you all this early! I'll take this opportunity to say for the past few months I've been really enjoying reading the forum and finding out people's views on gear. I must say it's been a big help in choosing the stuff I have bought, so many thanks.

My bike is a 2010 Allez and I got it late last year, so not had it too long and got it for what i thought was a pretty good price of £369.99. I have had mountain bikes on and off for years, but this is my first road bike, so as you can imagine the initial shock of the speed of the thing was quite a shock - I love it!

Anyway enough rambling, here's the bike - I've changed everything pretty much bar the frame :lol: perhaps in hindsight I should of just got a new bike, but I think it's pretty cool having something a bit different.

The obligatory "side on" shot :lol: -

DSC_1137.jpg

New spec includes -

Shimano 105 groupset inc pedals
Pro-lite Luciano wheelset
Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tyres
Michelin air comp tubes
Deda Newton 31 O/S bars
Deda Quattro 2 stem
Deda Zero 100 seat post
Deda cork tape
Selle Italia Fibra SLR saddle

Overall really happy how it's turned out and how it rides, hope you like it too. 8)

Comments

• Very cool :)
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Lovely, got a bargain there!
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Nice colour matching.
    How much did you spend on changing all of the parts?
  • Cheers guys 8)

How much did I spend? Erm off the top of my head the bike stand me at somewhere between a grand and £1100.

The 10 speed 105 Groupset was a fleabay buy, the saddle from Planet X and everything else the cheapest I could find was all at Ribble.

I don't know if that's a lot of money to throw at an Allez frame?
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Another smart looking Allez.

As for spending money upgrading an Allez, it was that many years ago ('06/'07) when you could spend upwards of £1,100 on an off the shelf Elite or Pro Allez with an E5 Aerotec frame.

Personally I spent quite a bit money on my own Allez Sport upgrading the brakes, contact points, wheels and tyres and it was a much better bike for it after the investment.
  • OK, so not too bad then. I think I've probably spent a sensible amount then on upgrades for that frame, anymore and I'm guessing it'd of been better to of got a better bike.
  • Sharpy_lad wrote:
    OK, so not too bad then. I think I've probably spent a sensible amount then on upgrades for that frame, anymore and I'm guessing it'd of been better to of got a better bike.

it doesn't matter how much you spend on your bike, as long as you're happy with the result!!!
    lovely bike btw :D
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Gorgeous bike 8)
  • that looks stunning. loving the amount of white you've got on there. just enough. As for spending the money, it's a personal thing. you'll get loads of people saying about buying a better bike to start but i think most of the fun is creating something unique and yours. look at the comments above, i think people appreciate a one off bike rather than an off the shelf!

It looks lovely!
  • that looks stunning. loving the amount of white you've got on there. just enough. As for spending the money, it's a personal thing. you'll get loads of people saying about buying a better bike to start but i think most of the fun is creating something unique and yours. look at the comments above, i think people appreciate a one off bike rather than an off the shelf!

It looks lovely!
  • Yes, very true.

Re - the amount of white, I was going to go with red striped Ultremo's and the handlebar tape even red or just keep to black tape, but I thought red tyres would of been too much and the well black tape is boring! :lol: ...just need to make sure I keep on top of cleaning the tape.

A note on the weight for those interested, I weighed it when I first got it and it was around 9.8kg without any pedals it's now down to 8.1kg (17.8lbs) with pedals, so I think it's reasonably light now for a aluminium bike?

I've had one or two problems since changing everything - when out of the box it was fine, but since mucking about with the groupset swap a few teething problems have occured - the chain slipping when in small ring at the front and the 3 top rings on the cassette and the chain rubbing the front derailleur when in the big ring and the bottom end of the cassette. I took it to my LBS to fit it and I know they were rushing to get it done, but I reckon they didn't check through all the gears before giving it the OK, so I've spent a fair bit of time fiddling, not really knowing what I've been doing :lol: but seem to of sorted it all - I really do appreciate Internet tutorials now!