Tubeless vs Michelin Latex...?

BuzzJoe
BuzzJoe Posts: 9
edited February 2011 in MTB general
Just ordered some new wheels for my (aging :lol:) Trek Fuel. Hope Pro 2's on Stan's ZTR Alpine rims laced with DT revolution spokes if any of you are wondering... :D Anyway, obviously being a Stan's rim tubeless immediately springs too mind. Mainly for the reduced rotating weight , although ive been looking at the Michelin Latex tubes, which seem too be uber light (130g) and very few reports of them puncturing all the time!
Just wondering whether any of you guys have had experience with the Michelin tubes or if youd think that going tubeless is still worth it...? Tyres are usually either Schwalbe Nics or Ralphs if its relevant!
Thanks, Joe!

Comments

• getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Can I just add that I've heard of latex tubes losing pressure so the tyres need to be topped up with more air before a ride. Latex is porous.
  • tubeless
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Can I just add that I've heard of latex tubes losing pressure so the tyres need to be topped up with more air before a ride. Latex is porous.

As anyone told Durex that their condoms might be leaky :shock:
  • CraigXXL wrote:

it was the closest word I could think of, I can't remember it at the minute. Somebody say if they know what I'm on about
  • CraigXXL wrote:

it was the closest word I could think of, I can't remember it at the minute. Somebody say if they know what I'm on about

I think you are referring to the air escaping via a process of osmosis iirc.
  • Knew about them being porous, not too much of a problem though, dont mind having too put a few strokes in through a track pump everytime i go out... Easy enough! :D

So is the tubeless worth it, weight wise or otherwise...?

Although the whole Durex thing is a little worrying... Luckily i dont tend too keep them on for too long.... :lol:
  • Tubeless has pros and cons, like tubes...

Pros:

Suppler tyre (psychosomatic)
    Far harder to pinch flat
    Lower pressures (grip)
    Good puncture resistance (seal easily)

Cons:

Harder to set up
    not necessarily lighter than a tube
    burping/losing tyres @ low pressure
    bigger faff to change tyres

Personally, I love tubeless, i've got one bike done ghetto and one with ust rims both running regular tyres and stans. They can be a pig to setup/change, but I prioritise reliability. I've only had one big issue since i did it when I rolled a 20psi tyre off when i landed a drop sideways. But I've blow tubed tyres off too...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    130g isn't massively light for a tube... Before I went tubeless I used Schwalbe's XXlights, which average 100 grams.You'd think they'd be delicate but they didn't seem any weaker than an average tube- I had a few punctures but I never thought "that shouldn't have punctured". They're just regular rubber so they patch normally too.

Only criticism I had really was that one time I flatted on a rocky descent, and by the time I stopped the tube had picked up about 6 holes, just from being pinched on once the tube was flat. Never had that with a thicker tube.

SInce you've got proper tubeless rims, personally I'd recommend tubeless, partly because it'll probably be lighter but also because it's just plain more reliable than tubes. And punctures never happen at good moments, they happen when you're late home or it's just about to piss down or when you're just getting into the groove of a descent you've toiled for 10 minutes to get to the top of.
    Uncompromising extremist