is it rubbing it in to say hi passing struggling cyclists?

thelawnet
thelawnet Posts: 719
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Just done my 'commute' to take my son to his climbing lesson (he's 8 and sits on the back of my longtail bike), bit of a quiet route, but spotted a couple of cyclists on the way and decided to chase them down, said hi as I went past, but they just ignored me.

Not the best weather for cycling I guess, gale force winds and we were going up a fairly steep hill. Did I commit a faux pas by highlighting their struggle?

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I tend to nod and lift a hand in greeting when I pass someone. It is what it is. Some people take it amiss. Such is life.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    You were going uphill, you had an eight year old on the back, and you scalped them? You should have shouted "MTFU!" :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    You were going uphill, you had an eight year old on the back, and you scalped them? You should have shouted "MTFU!" :)

Well one of them did have purple hair, so not sure that would have been appropriate, but even so a scalp is a scalp :lol:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JonGinge wrote:
    I tend to nod and lift a hand in greeting when I pass someone. It is what it is. Some people take it amiss. Such is life.

One day one of them will catch you and administer a savage punishment beating.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    edited February 2011
    actually on the subject of inappropriate comments I went out with the OABs (old age beardies) in the CTC at the weekend, and when we were stopped on the side of the road a passing roadie type said to his friend (loudly, for our benefit) 'UNUSUAL TO SEE THE MUDGUARD BRIGADE OUT'.

Personally I like carrying extra weight, makes me fitter, not that a couple of crud catchers weighs much anyway.

Although I guess the best response would have been for one of the asembled 70-year-olds to have chased him down and knocked him off.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    thelawnet wrote:
    actually on the subject of inappropriate comments I went out with the OABs (old age beardies) in the CTC at the weekend, and when we were stopped on the side of the road a couple of passing roadie type said to his friend (loudly, for our benefit) 'UNUSUAL TO SEE THE MUDGUARD BRIGADE OUT'.

Personally I like carrying extra weight, makes me fitter, not that a couple of crud catchers weighs much anyway.

LOLZ
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I have to admit I have done this one, cycling through town in Exeter I approached at quite a pace on a man clad in CS95s (camo uniform) wearing a green beret. I slowed a bit approaching a red light and could hear said green beret wearing bootneck puffing and panting through the red light. green light change I charge past him with a cheery 'Morning colours...buy the way that was a red light'

As I pedel up the road I hear a 'F*** off, Sergent!'

He had been doing a presentation to my cadets the night before as part of the usual recruiting gambit.

I feel extra SCR points should be awarded for scalping a Royal Marine while he's in uniform :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • xcmad
    xcmad Posts: 110
    NGale wrote:
    'Morning colours...buy the way that was a red light' :lol:

Sad
  • xcmad
    xcmad Posts: 110
    Just pass them and don't say anything dull for god sake. Maybe lift your hand and wave, but thats it - be cool and stay in character as the better rider and not some dull twa*t with some sort of point to prove.
  • motdoc
    motdoc Posts: 97
    If someone overtakes me and says Hi, I don't cry like a girl, I say Hi back.

If they take umbrage at "Hi" there's summat wrong with them. The more chatting the better IMHO.

By the way I have all the gear and absolutely no idea, feel free to overtake at any point you fancy.
    Arrrrr I be in Devon.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    xcmad wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    'Morning colours...buy the way that was a red light' :lol:

Sad

Yep, but I feel revenge will be coming my way next week on my adult training course. the PTIs will kill me :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    xcmad wrote:
    Just pass them and don't say anything dull for god sake. Maybe lift your hand and wave, but thats it - be cool and stay in character as the better rider and not some dull twa*t with some sort of point to prove.

lol wtf
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I don't see the point - it might make you look smug. I prefer to go past with a look of total relaxation and disinterest on my face, preferrably when I can see they're trying really hard - that way I can just feel smug.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    pastryboy wrote:
    I don't see the point - it might make you look smug. I prefer to go past with a look of total relaxation and disinterest on my face, preferrably when I can see they're trying really hard - that way I can just feel smug.

A yawn, a stretch and a quick glance at the watch always goes down quite well :twisted:
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • JonGinge wrote:

This. They hurt, you hurt. Acknowledgement of common hurt is decent. I have a perpetual fear of unexpected catastrophic blow up, so I regard any type of "rubbing in" during the pass as folly.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I have been known to let out a series of slow throaty coughs as I pass to demonstrate my slow rate of breathing and hint that I'm unwell - followed by a casual glance to the side to check out the scenery :oops: [/code]
  • I just like to be friendly.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-eY1c15vKY

I don't see what the problem is :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    I have yet to have that issue. :oops:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Absolutely - humiliation plays a major role in SCR - try and pass without beathing hard or making ant apparent effort 8)
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    No, it's obligatory to salute your vanquished foe:-)
    I find a cheery "Morning!" (or other time of day as appropriate), making it clear you can still breathe AND talk, followed by a burst of speed to get clear away is best.
    Misguided Idealist
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    As someone who is usually the one struggling I don't mind a hello providing the person passing doesn't mind not getting a hello back. It's not because I'm being rude, I will give a nod I'm just too busy trying to get oxygen into my body to say anything :oops:
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    suzyb wrote:
    As someone who is usually the one struggling I don't mind a hello providing the person passing doesn't mind not getting a hello back. It's not because I'm being rude, I will give a nod I'm just too busy trying to get oxygen into my body to say anything :oops:

Well, yes, the converse of the above means one should have the grace to acknowledge the victor, even if only by a nod ;-)

This happens more frequently than I'd like :roll:
    Misguided Idealist
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    cjcp wrote:

I wonder what the OP's FCN would be? The scalpee should be ashamed of themselves. The are probably at home, crying into a mound of soiled dressings whilst applying more dressings to their bloody scalp.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • If I never talked to the people that overtook me I'd never speak to anyone :oops:

I'm not proud, MTB's with flat tyres and square wheels, children on concrete BMX's, mobility scooters on backup power people with wonky zimmer frames, I say hello to them all as they leave me gasping in their wake :wink:
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I tend not to say anything to people I pass, but occasionally I say hi. Depends on my mood, what they look like, how fast I'm passing them, and other things. I'm more likely to say hello if I'm only going past relatively slowly, or if I've something to say, like "get some f*cking lights."
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I wonder what the OP's FCN would be? The scalpee should be ashamed of themselves. The are probably at home, crying into a mound of soiled dressings whilst applying more dressings to their bloody scalp.

Heh, not sure. I pass plenty of utility cyclists when in town, but on intratown trips you tend to get a significantly faster breed of cyclist, these two didn't look the part though. I think the wind was behind me on the way back, got up to 25mph on the flat on the dual carriageway (traffic is a good motivator), which I was quite pleased with.
  • not really though much about it but i always say hi or lift a hand.

Funny really i dont say hi to everyone i pass when walking somewhere :)
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    lastwords wrote:
    not really though much about it but i always say hi or lift a hand.

Funny really i dont say hi to everyone i pass when walking somewhere :)

Hopefully not a high street? :lol: