Boardman performance hybrid comp.

benny61
benny61 Posts: 16
edited February 2011 in The workshop
Hi all,
I wonder if anybody can help me, i bought a Boardman performance hybrid comp to commute to work, and to be honest its great.
Just lately the BB is creaking and i thought i would use this as an excuse to upgrade the chainsette, new BB, cranks, chain and cassette.
The Halfords website says it has a Truativ touro copact crankset, no info on the chain or cassette but to me it seems to have a roadbike crank with a MTB cassette, does anyone know if this is correct. Any info on what i need to buy to improve without spending silly money would be greatly appreciated
Benny

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yuo could just replace the BB. What type is it? External?

If so you could get a new Truvativ one, or a superstar one (google "superstar components) for slightly less. Or Hope/Chris King if you want to spend a fortune for something that might be more reliable.

I've got a Boardman MTB, and replaed the truvativ BB with a Superstar one which has lasted longer.

Honestly, I wouldn't be in a rush to change all the other stuff. It's unlikely to have a big impact on how the bike rides. You might be better off spending a few quid on a new BB and a chain wear checker, so that you can replace your chain as soon as it's worn, which will let you get more miles out of the whole drivetrain, before everything becomes too worn to work.

The only difference between road and MTB cassettes is the number of teeth, purely because the gradients vary less on road, so you have less range and smaller cogs in general. So mixing road and MTB components like that isn't a problem at all.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thanks for the reply very helpfull, i'm not sure if the BB is external TBH, I'll try and find out.
    Thanks again
    Benny
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When looking at a BM Hybrid the other day it did indeed have an MTB rear cassette and mech, not sure about the front end.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.