Ultremo ZX tyres, anbody tried them yet??

sheffsimon
sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Usually race on Ultremo R.1's which I like very much.

Has anybody tried riding in anger on new Ultremo ZX's, and if so any thoughts. I like the cornering speeds you can acheive on R.1's without sliding on your ass, so any comments on handling would be of interest.

Wasnt looking to start a thread about what tyres I should buy!!! I think its been done to death, brought back to life and finished off again on a number of occasions :)

Comments

• Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    LOL SNAP :!:

I just started an almost identical thread!

I'm hoping to see how they hold out in general use - they feel very thin. I'll be using mine with some Michelin AirComp Ultra Light inner tubes on Carbone SLRs - be interesting to see how they perform compared to Pro Race 3s and R1s.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Switched from R.1's on DT Swiss 1850's to ZX's on Carbone SLR's last night.

First ride tomorrow morning so will see how they feel.
  • Chrissz
    izza wrote:

Let us know how you get on :)
  • I have them, long time R.1 user. THey feel great but it's hard to tell how great with the roads at the moment!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mine are still in the box and will not be coming out till march,but after being a long time R.1 user im looking forward to trying them out.
  • izza
    Chrissz wrote:
    izza wrote:

Firstly, the changing of tyres and wheels means comparisons are non-scientific but 2 rides this weekend.

Getting out of the house - placed bike next to hedge whilst getting clobber out of bike cupboard. Normally stays still but ran down slight incline and fell on floor! This rolling resistance reduction isn't all good news!

Saturday hill training; all good in terms of grip/traction etc. Coming out of saddle was easier to have temporary increase in speed probably due more to less wheel weight. I couldn't get the tyres up to my normal pressure (115 psi) due to lack of extender on the presta valve and suffered a pinch puncture. No punctures from road debris.

Found good grip round mini roundabout at bottom of hill. I have skidded once on the R.1's as I leant over but white stripes on ZX's are thinner and didn't find any problems.

However, 12 hill repeats rather than 10 and all done 1 mph faster.

Further weight loss after ride as I removed tyre levers from saddle bag. Tyres came off wheels relatively easily with cold fingers and without the need for any levers.

Sunday; training ride. No punctures and no problems. Tyres pumped up fully and still nearly slid away from hedge! Hit a wall 2/3 into ride. Headed home and found a group of three others overtake me. Sped up and caught a tow for 5 miles. Tyres and wheels combo worked well for burst of acceleration.

(P.S. Don't mean to derail discussion but with bigger section wheels and in light of wind this weekend, have to say it was probably not the weekend to try first ride on Carbones!)
  • sheffsimon
    izza wrote:
    Chrissz wrote:
    izza wrote:

Firstly, the changing of tyres and wheels means comparisons are non-scientific but 2 rides this weekend.

Getting out of the house - placed bike next to hedge whilst getting clobber out of bike cupboard. Normally stays still but ran down slight incline and fell on floor! This rolling resistance reduction isn't all good news!

Saturday hill training; all good in terms of grip/traction etc. Coming out of saddle was easier to have temporary increase in speed probably due more to less wheel weight. I couldn't get the tyres up to my normal pressure (115 psi) due to lack of extender on the presta valve and suffered a pinch puncture. No punctures from road debris.

Found good grip round mini roundabout at bottom of hill. I have skidded once on the R.1's as I leant over but white stripes on ZX's are thinner and didn't find any problems.

However, 12 hill repeats rather than 10 and all done 1 mph faster.

Further weight loss after ride as I removed tyre levers from saddle bag. Tyres came off wheels relatively easily with cold fingers and without the need for any levers.

Sunday; training ride. No punctures and no problems. Tyres pumped up fully and still nearly slid away from hedge! Hit a wall 2/3 into ride. Headed home and found a group of three others overtake me. Sped up and caught a tow for 5 miles. Tyres and wheels combo worked well for burst of acceleration.

(P.S. Don't mean to derail discussion but with bigger section wheels and in light of wind this weekend, have to say it was probably not the weekend to try first ride on Carbones!)

Thanks for the info mate.

Sounds generally positive - presume you hit a metaphorical wall, not a real wall :)

I think I will be trying these this season - not too much more expensive than R.1's
  • izza
    SheffSimon wrote:

Thanks for the info mate.

Sounds generally positive - presume you hit a metaphorical wall, not a real wall :)

I think I will be trying these this season - not too much more expensive than R.1's

Whilst my natural good looks have often been compared to an RTA, you are correct, it was a metaphorical wall.

As for price, the cheapest I found for a pair was at Merlin which beat Evans and Wiggle on ZX's and R.1's.
  • Are these the same weight as the R1's or lighter?
    What is the difference between the R1's & the ZX?
  • izza
    ZX is slightly heavier (15g more at 195g) but less rolling resistance (15%)
  • Chrissz
    Cheaper at highonbikes ebay shop - I got a pair for £60 free delivery.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I haven't tried the R1'a but the ZX's came as standard on my Cube which i've had since late Nov and so far so good.
  • sheffsimon
    Bought 2 for £53 from Merlin Cycles this w/e. Cheapest on the net I think....
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    SheffSimon wrote:

Yeah, if you don't count Ribble at £48.78 :D Dependent on colour choice
  • sheffsimon
    Percy Vera wrote:
    SheffSimon wrote:

Yeah, if you don't count Ribble at £48.78 :D Dependent on colour choice

:(

No black in stock though :)
  • sheffsimon
    Fitted them and went out this afternoon, first time on best bike this year.

Easy to fit, and great ride. Cornering is as good as R1's so I is happy.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I went for the 25mm zx

Much comfier than 23mm R1s and at least as fast rolling.

seem more puncture resistant too

And they look nice

recommended
  • bisoner
    bisoner Posts: 171
    Is anyone able to compare the ZX's to the PR3's? I'm currently running a mix of a Krylion on the back and a GP4000S on the front - punctures are rare to non-existent. I was running the PR3's last summer and they felt noticeably smoother than the pair I am currently running, however, the PR3's just get destroyed too easily on our harsh UK roads.

I'm hoping the ZX's are somewhere between the PR3's and the GP4000's.