Sometimes I miss my home town

2»

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    mr_si wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    -being near the sea

Oh c'mon, even the folk in Weston don't really believe they live near the sea.

By the way, Lundners, why do you live there again? I tried it for a bit; first rate culture ... errmmm ... lots of museums ..

:lol:

Well to start with, it's where the work is - I live far enough out of London that the countryside isn't far away, It's quite villagey, but the tube is only up the road.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Butterd2 wrote:
    I'm from Portsmouth so this is not an emotion I've ever experienced.

+1. Still here!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Whitby North Yorkshire,
    Chuffing love the place but moved down South to Join the Po Po, couldn't face locking up my mates. Still go back loads for family, fish and chips and a decent pint. Loads of hills around the town so the last bit of any ride is usually a 5 mile downhill.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • Moved back to my home town (Swindon) a couple of years ago, and whilst its changed a fair bit over the past 20 years, I still think its a pretty decent place to live. Sure it has its rough parts, but no more than any other town. Having spent a short while in London I really can't imagine why anyone would want to live there, nothing going for it all.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    re-cycles wrote:
    Moved back to my home town (Swindon) a couple of years ago, and whilst its changed a fair bit over the past 20 years, I still think its a pretty decent place to live. Sure it has its rough parts, but no more than any other town. Having spent a short while in London I really can't imagine why anyone would want to live there, nothing going for it all.

fine, I see that maybe it's not for you, but PLEASE tell me you had you tongue in your cheek when you wrote this bit!
  • Whitby North Yorkshire,
    Chuffing love the place but moved down South to Join the Po Po, couldn't face locking up my mates. Still go back loads for family, fish and chips and a decent pint. Loads of hills around the town so the last bit of any ride is usually a 5 mile downhill.

Ah the Magpie - quite possibly the best fish & chips in the world. Almost worth the queue..
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • where i grew up and my folks still live is the Breacon Beacons, but also fairly close to the start of the welsh valleys. where for many years I was a postie.

The valleys have massive problems entire streets have almost gone, total lack of aspirations drink/drugs etc.

this said i have good friends back there.

The area around my folks place, it's the land, proper decent hills rather than the ripples of the North Downs, and good old big trees the Beachwoods nr my folks place have been there before humans arrived, get some proper massive Ent's once deep in the wood.

so why did I move? well to be with my wife. the area I live is very nice and as a old village that has been swallowed by london, still feels village like at least on weekends.

But there is far better cycling around my folks place both on and off road, though much less cafes etc.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Like the pop at Rochdale earlier - know the place well and it's about right. It does have Blackstone Edge though, the best hill in my portfolio :)

I wasn't born there but lived in Nottingham for a while - Gotham, just outside - and whenever I pass through these days it's hard not to come away thinking 'what a dump'. I call Leicestershire home, somewhere not far from Hinckley. From this distance - 50 miles away - it's a bit of a Utopia, that lives up to it whenever I go home.

And good old Sven manages the football club now. Happy days. :)
  • i live in London as that where the work is at the moment. luckily not the centre of town so countryside is 20 mins if that.

what i miss when i go back north is the 24hr culture down here. i cant get a bus after about 8pm oop north. if i want anything at all i can go to one of the local 24hr shops.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    SecretSam wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Ashton Gate and associated entertainment

I was once chased around Ashton Gate by the local "entertainment committee". Not a nice place to visit as an away fan.,

2 obvious Qs:
    1. Which team were you supporting? (Obviously not the mighty reds, although I've seen City fans battering each other... :shock: )
    2. When was this? It's been a while since there's been any serious bother, although City vs Cardiff is usually a little tense...

I was there following Stoke, probably around 1990. Happy days.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    cjcp wrote:
    My first home town: Merthyr Tydfil. Er...

Second/proper home town: Penarth. Truly great place to grow up. Was there today.

I was at school for a couple of years in Cowbridge. The Vale of Glamorgan is lovely.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Gussio wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Ashton Gate and associated entertainment

I was once chased around Ashton Gate by the local "entertainment committee". Not a nice place to visit as an away fan.,

2 obvious Qs:
    1. Which team were you supporting? (Obviously not the mighty reds, although I've seen City fans battering each other... :shock: )
    2. When was this? It's been a while since there's been any serious bother, although City vs Cardiff is usually a little tense...

I was there following Stoke, probably around 1990. Happy days.

You'd probably be Ok now, we had a bit of a love-in with your lot when there was that Auto-Windscreens-paint-vans trophy at the old Wembley in (say) 2002? Mind you, since then you've appointed the Gashead midget Welsh Satan again so IIRC when you came to the 'Gate a couple of seasons ago, he got a "warm welcome" :twisted:

It's just a hill. Get over it.