You get what you pay for with components

jeremyrundle
jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
When I first joined BR I had a simple MTB rode it very little, but I have learnt a lot from people here a lot younger than me, and I am constantly upgrading now.

My Sanderson HB, MTB, has now been fitted with Shimano SLX components, the ride is so silky smooth with gear changes that go un-noticed it is a pleasure to ride.

Whilst there are more expensive "parts" available, it is true, you do notice the quality with better components.
Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Alright, who let grandad wander out of the care home again?!

:wink:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    kelsen wrote:

SLX on a penny farthing?!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • For commuting 'mid-range' components are more than adequate provided they are properly adjusted and maintained. More expensive parts may be a tad lighter and smoother, but road grit is a great leveller, and I haven't found them any more robust or reliable,

I've got some expensive suits, but M&S is good enough for work.
    I've got some expensive bikes, but SLX is good enough for commuting to work (actually I've got ancient LX / Deore / XT kit on my main commuter but today's SLX is better that the higher spec of yesteryear.)
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I've still got a 15 year old acera mech that still works properly fitted with the original cable. has to be said though both are scheduled to be changed at the next chain renewal.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, SLX is good stuff. Once you get above a certain point, with MTB stuff at least, it doesn't get any 'better' other than shedding weight.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    edited February 2011
    bails87 wrote:
    Yep, SLX is good stuff. Once you get above a certain point, with MTB stuff at least, it doesn't get any 'better' other than shedding weight.

Oh so now you are saying I am fat and have to lose weight :evil:

• EKE_38BPM wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

SLX on a penny farthing?!

Shurrup :(

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I've not been that blown away with my SLX. Had to change the front mech after about 8 month because it ceased up during the bad weather - now 'down-graded' to a Deore LX on the front. As well as that, I don't think it's as smooth as the cheaper Sram X5 stuff that I had previously on another bike.

Don't get me wrong - the SLX stuff is good, but not as good as I was hoping/expecting.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • I had the Deore and went for the SLX, I notice the difference, but then I am not a full blown cyclist, to me it is good.

• For commuting 'mid-range' components are more than adequate provided they are properly adjusted and maintained. More expensive parts may be a tad lighter and smoother, but road grit is a great leveller, and I haven't found them any more robust or reliable,

+1

The more expensive stuff is slicker and nicer to use a long with being lighter. However it tends not to be as durable.
  • I am not a full blown cyclist
    - sounds like HIV rather than Aids :shock:
    I had the Deore and went for the SLX, I notice the difference,

Any difference may be due to having nice clean, lubricated, well adjusted components and cables rather than a significant difference in the components themselves. Also later generations of component tend to perform better than their predecessor (although there have been exceptions)
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem