Anti-cycling bias in todays Metro

kurako
kurako Posts: 1,098
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/854617-bike ... h-40p-bill

MP claiims 40p for a bike journey. Big deal, does 40p merit a front page article? Apparently, the 40p claim came a day after he claimed £84 for driving his car. I assume if he'd driven his car on the second day and claimed a much larger sum than the contentious 40p no one would even bat an eyelid.

What a load of old bollocks. Must be a slow news day. God forbid they bore London commuters with gloomy stuff like deaths in Egypt or Afghanistan.

Comments

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    edited February 2011
    Surely the taxpayer should be pleased that when he's claiming 20p a mile for the bike he's NOT claiming 40p a mile for his car?!

I love the fact that by comment three we're into the insurance/licence rant already! Top work Mr Mental!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The Metro isn't just in London :wink:

And it's part of the Daily Mail group, so of course they're anti-cyclist. Only communists and asylum seekers ride bikes. Good, honest, hardworking middle-class people drive cars.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I saw that this morning. I put it down as soon as I saw what the article was about.

It is irrespective that he was cycling, it is front page on a natioal newspaper that someone has claimed £4.80.

Ever since the Brand Ross scandal people seem obsessed with complaining about every little thing. They lose any sight of perspective.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Only two comments before some bozo completely ignores the article and does a copy n paste anti-cycling tossw@nk.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Surprise, surprise, the F***wits' (sorry, Taxpayers) Alliance are brought in to spout their usual drivel at the first opportunity. Why does anyone think they have any legitimacy to comment on anything? Wouldn't let my cat (if I had one) sh*t on it. Just reconfirms my opinion of 'journalists'.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I've got no problem with people claiming 20p per mile. Hell we all can (provided it's not a bike under a cyclesheme type agreement). The thing that grates me is why make such a huge deal about these small sums when the £84(ish) from the previous day's claim goes in without comment! :roll:
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • bails87
    rjsterry wrote:
    Surprise, surprise, the F***wits' (sorry, Taxpayers) Alliance are brought in

I think you mean the Taxdodgers Alliance.
    MTB/CX

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Just to balance this
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12149696

I actually thought Zoe Williams did a good job of representing the cyclist "community" there. Surprised...
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    notsoblue wrote:
    Just to balance this

I actually thought Zoe Williams did a good job of representing the cyclist "community" there. Surprised...

I post on a forum where adam rayner is a member of the magazine portion of their site so I made a thread asking why he felt the need to turn a discussion about increasing cycle awareness into another rant about red light jumping and forcing cyclists to be registered.

no reply from him so far but I'm having a fun back and forth with the motorists who all jumped in with their own anti-cyclist b***ocks.
    Hat + Beard
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Wish I got payed travelling to work. If they didnt maybe more mps would cycle or do something about petrol prices.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • notsoblue
    Lancslad wrote:
    Wish I got payed travelling to work. If they didnt maybe more mps would cycle or do something about petrol prices.

Fact is, you could do a job that meant you could claim mileage on expenses, or could have a company car. The fact that you don't doesn't mean that nobody else should.
  • rjsterry
    Surprised? Zoe Williams can normally be relied upon for a bit of common sense and reasonableness.

Or do you mean surprised that they got someone decent on to put the cyclists' side of the argument?

Oh, and if I hear one more person say, "If only we were more like Holland"... as if they have some panacea that can just magically materialise hundreds of miles of dedicated cycle routes out of thin air. It's taken them 30 years of constant government pressure to get where they are, so I'll be in my 60s by the time that happens in this country. [/rant]
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I read it too and thought "thick journalist" . any employee can claim 20p a mile for business mileage on a bike. they should be congratulating teh MP for using green transport and saving the tax payer money. Fat lazy journo would have jumped in a taxi for same journey probably
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    notsoblue wrote:
    Just to balance this

I'll watch that later, but usually she completely annoys the crap out of me and I brace myself whenever I know she's speaking or writing on behalf of the "cycling community".
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Lancslad wrote:
    Wish I got payed travelling to work. If they didn't maybe more mps would cycle or do something about petrol prices.
    I think it is really about travelling DURING work. I get 20p/mile for that, I do not get it for getting to my primary place of work. I think this is the arrangement that applies to most people who get such expenses.

I get 40p/mile for driving. This is the figure that is the limit HMRC set for this being tax-free, however these days 40p does not cover fuel and all the associated costs of car ownership, so the vast majority of people who drive during their work and get this payment are probably subsidising the employers true costs.
  • notsoblue
    W1 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Just to balance this

I'll watch that later, but usually she completely annoys the crap out of me and I brace myself whenever I know she's speaking or writing on behalf of the "cycling community".
    rjsterry wrote:
    Surprised? Zoe Williams can normally be relied upon for a bit of common sense and reasonableness.

Or do you mean surprised that they got someone decent on to put the cyclists' side of the argument?

Surprised that Zoe Williams had an opinion I agreed with and could take seriously. She was actually pretty rational and represented cyclists quite well.

I especially like her point about how every discussion about the rights of cyclists shouldn't start with a focus on cyclists that break the law.
  • Unless the web version linked above is different to the paper version I cannot see how the article was saying anything negative about cycling.
  • bails87
    edited February 2011
    alfablue wrote:
    I get 40p/mile for driving. This is the figure that is the limit HMRC set for this being tax-free, however these days 40p does not cover fuel and all the associated costs of car ownership, so the vast majority of people who drive during their work and get this payment are probably subsidising the employers true costs.
    Well maybe that should encourage people to drive more economical cars. :wink:

EDIT: 50mpg @£1.30/litre = 11pence per mile
    Insurance, I added 3000 miles to my policy, this cost an extra £30 (and I'm young and male, so I doubt there'll be many people paying much more), so that's 1 pence per mile.

So 12p per mile, plus depreciation and wear and tear. It's easily doable, I used to make a nice profit when doing work journeys in my 106. I probably still do in my new car (65+mpg on the motorway), averages out at 47ish with town driving. It's yet another incentive to drive less/choose a more economical car that people are ignoring.
    MTB/CX

• notsoblue wrote:
    Just to balance this

Agree - I find her writing pretty irritating but she came across well in that.

I think the "motorist" dude could do with riding a bike occasionally...[/quote]
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Blimey, Adam Rayner should get on a bloody bike.

I claim cycling mileage when I use my bike to go to meetings. I wouldn't expect to claim for travel to and from my normal place of work, but using it for work and claiming seems fair enough.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rjsterry
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Just to balance this

rjsterry wrote:

Surprised that Zoe Williams had an opinion I agreed with and could take seriously. She was actually pretty rational and represented cyclists quite well.

I especially like her point about how every discussion about the rights of cyclists shouldn't start with a focus on cyclists that break the law.

Thought that was a very good point too. I've usually found her writing a lot less irritating than most journalists, but that is a pretty low hurdle to clear.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    hatbeard wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Just to balance this

I post on a forum where adam rayner is a member of the magazine portion of their site so I made a thread asking why he felt the need to turn a discussion about increasing cycle awareness into another rant about red light jumping and forcing cyclists to be registered.

no reply from him so far but I'm having a fun back and forth with the motorists who all jumped in with their own anti-cyclist b***ocks.

Please start a thread there asking what models of car can Adam Rayner fit into?
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    edited February 2011
    bails87 wrote:

And it's part of the Daily Mail group, so of course they're anti-cyclist. Only communists and asylum seekers ride bikes. Good, honest, hardworking middle-class people drive cars.

As Zoe Williams wrote recently in the LCC magazine:

"We have an innate British tendency to confuse being wealthy with being upstanding and socially responsible. Car drivers, having cars and paying tax, musi be wealthier than cyclists, ergo, they must be more civically minded, and civilisation has a greater duty to them"

That's in spite of the average London commuter cyclist being wealthier than the average London commuter driver, according to a survey somewhere-or-other.
    georgee wrote:
    Please start a thread there asking what models of car can Adam Rayner fit into?

Guaranteed they won't be enviromentally friendly :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    bails87 wrote:
    alfablue wrote:
    Well maybe that should encourage people to drive more economical cars. :wink:

EDIT: 50mpg @£1.30/litre = 11pence per mile
    Insurance, I added 3000 miles to my policy, this cost an extra £30 (and I'm young and male, so I doubt there'll be many people paying much more), so that's 1 pence per mile.

So 12p per mile, plus depreciation and wear and tear. It's easily doabthe countryside for le, I used to make a nice profit when doing work journeys in my 106. I probably still do in my new car (65+mpg on the motorway), averages out at 47ish with town driving. It's yet another incentive to drive less/choose a more economical car that people are ignoring.
    I entirely agree, it would be desirable to buy more economical cars. Fact is though, I have the car I have and can't afford to change it, and the vast majority is urban driving, so economy is poorer. Yes, I am being punished for my poor decisions in the past!

That said, I am pretty much anti-driving now, having only driven once this year, and ironically, that was to take the bikes to the start of a day ride.

I am starting to think, though, 20p is not enough for cycling miles, especially with the appetite I have developed!
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Agent57 wrote:
    Blimey, Adam Rayner should get on a bloody bike..

Good grief, who is that fat git? He looks like an over-inflated blow-up doll of Paul Merton.

Now we know where all the pies went.
    to be fair Adam is actually a really nice friendly guy it's just his take on this topic I take exception to.
    Hat + Beard
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    20p a mile ISN'T much, especially bearing in mind that you could only claim £3 for an hour cycling as opposed to probably £28 for an hour driving, but bear in mind it's mileage during hours you're already being paid to work. Being paid my hourly rate plus £3 an hour (ok, £2.40 an hour - I'm slow) to cycle rather than work sounds like a bargain!
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    He always reminds me of Peter Griffin...
  • notsoblue
    Dudu wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

As Zoe Williams wrote recently in the LCC magazine:

"We have an innate British tendency to confuse being wealthy with being upstanding and socially responsible. Car drivers, having cars and paying tax, musi be wealthier than cyclists, ergo, they must be more civically minded, and civilisation has a greater duty to them"

That's in spite of the average London commuter cyclist being wealthier than the average London commuter driver, according to a survey somewhere-or-other.

Thats a brilliant insight! Very well put indeed. I have to admit that my main bias against Zoe Williams is probably due to my having only encountered her articles on pregnancy and childbirth... I've reformed my opinion...