Specy's "Custom DT Swiss X420SL" Lousy wheels ?

Devastazione
Devastazione Posts: 280
edited February 2011 in MTB general
Finally made it to acquire a Spesh that comes with the aforementioned wheels. Since the bike will be shipped to me on monday I still have time to call the dealer and tell him to throw in another type of rims in case,as it seems that 90% of the opinions you read around the web about these wheels are very arsh... :cry:
I'm not a guy that likes to change things on his bikes actually,I like to keep them original as much as possible.

What's the catch then ??
I'm luckily in the best shape of my life so excessive weight is not going to be an issue ( read about and overweight chap that broke them during a ride...)

What else ?? Issues in turning them tubeless ??
Specialized Tarmac Sworks
Canyon Spectral 8.9

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    ive run them for nearly a year on my hardtail, ive had no big issues what so ever, the rims are still running true and dent free, and theyve been hammered all over the country, including fort bill, obnly issue i had was the shimano rear hub, which is just crap and heavy as hell. not a bad wheelset, but everyone seems to be going with stans rims now, myself included.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I had "custom" XT4.2 on my Enduro and ran them for 2 years with no problems.They're in the garage to use as spares 8)
  • A lot of people report dt rims to be made of cheese, but it seems to be a bit hit and miss as to whether you actually suffer or not.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I had some 420sls, no problems. In fact, liked them so much I got 4.2ds on my next wheels.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    I've run them on my 2009 stumpy with no problems and I'm not the smoothest of riders out there. They still run true and touch wood I've had no problems with them or the hub all through winter and Yorkshire mud/grit
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    No problems here, been perfect from day one in all sorts of terrain and drops.
  • Not sure if they are different now but my 08 Stumpy FSR came them and i had to have my back wheel rebuilt with proper stainless spokes i broke 2 of them riding round a reservoir!?! And then folded the front one up in an OTB insident at about 15-20mph at cannock and the rim weld broke. Changed it for a hope hoop with DT 5.1, which is great. Hope to get one one the back too at some point.

Specialized use a light guage of spoke on these wheels and the front only has a 28h rim and they are not very tightly built. As for heavy riders breaking them, i'm 13 stone so not that heavy and i'd say i'm a pretty smoth rider.
    I had some 420sls, no problems. In fact, liked them so much I got 4.2ds on my next wheels.
    4.2s are totally different rims.

Sorry to be so negative but i haven't had a good time with these wheels. I now know what "custom" means in the MTB world.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    mudsucker wrote:
    Not sure if they are different now but my 08 Stumpy FSR came them and i had to have my back wheel rebuilt with proper stainless spokes i broke 2 of them riding round a reservoir!?! And then folded the front one up in an OTB insident at about 15-20mph at cannock and the rim weld broke. Changed it for a hope hoop with DT 5.1, which is great. Hope to get one one the back too at some point.

Specialized use a light guage of spoke on these wheels and the front only has a 28h rim and they are not very tightly built. As for heavy riders breaking them, i'm 13 stone so not that heavy and i'd say i'm a pretty smoth rider.
    4.2s are totally different rims.

Sorry to be so negative but i haven't had a good time with these wheels. I now know what "custom" means in the MTB world.

This is true, they are different rims, but as a lifetime Mavic rider, I thought that the change to DT after the 420sl experience I had might be relevant.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Seems custom rims means "excuse me Mr DT, all the wheels you make are a bit too good. Could you make us some cheaper ones please?"
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    I have to say I was one of the "cheese reporting" owners of DT rims. I recently ditched them in favour of Stans Crests and I've never looked back.

But it does seem that there's a real 50/50 split between those who are really happy with them and those who are not.

I've riden for 20 years and up until last month I've never had any problems with the wheels I've owned. I'm not a particularly heavy rider and I choose my lines carefully, so why they're so weak I don't know.
  • Ok,so...3rd day out with my beloved new Stumpy Elite.

Wheels seems to hold up fine so far,spokes are absolutely crap IHMO.
    I mean,maybe I'm too spolied by the Mavic Crossmax SLR on my Lapierre but from the spokes you can really tell these are "cheapish" wheels.
    I'm not being gentle with the bike,actually day one has been quite hard for her. Let's cross fingers... :roll:
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9