Real Bike Weights

Pross
Pross Posts: 43,204
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
OK we've all seen the advertised weights of bikes but what does your bike actually weigh in your standard set up?

I ride a 58cm Scott CR1 Comp as it was picked up from the shop other than two bottle cages have been added so Tiagra group with 53 / 39 chainset (105 rear mech), R500 wheels, 'off the peg' finishing kit which is all alloy. Weighed it the other day and it was about 9.5kg which was quite a shock with the frame being one of the lightest out there in its price range. I also weighed by Giant Omnium Sling track bike (56cm I think), not sure of all the kit on it but it came in at 8.5kg. Once I get my old 653 back up and running I'll put that on the scales too, I'm sure it used to be about 22lb so 10kg with 36 spoke wheels front and rear which makes the weight of the Scott even more of a surprise! Could be the scales I used were a bit dodgy :?

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I've always found manufacturers to be a tad (or two) optimistic with quoted weights. On trick with frames is to give the "raw" frame weight. Not many people bother to query what the term means, but it is before painting. You can lose a respectable number of grams if you take away the primer, two top coats and a lacquer.
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    frames makes a small contribution to total weight. the tiagra groupo is probably more than 2.5kg, cranks + pedals would weigh about the same as your frame. r500 wheels are 1.9kg, tyres and tubes adds up too.
  • Just put my Cannondale Synapse Alu on the scales in the warehouse and it was 10KG exactly. It's set up for my commute with heavier RS10 wheels and Schwalbe Marathon tyres.
    It has always felt 'light' to me, but 10KG makes it seems heavy now; wonder if I'll be slower on the ride home? lol
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I weighed by Boardman Team Carbon after I'd built it up but before fitting pedals or any other accessories. That was 7.6kg on my scales, which I thought was quite impressive for a sub £1000 bike.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm sure in the mountain bike world they've been known to weigh unpainted frames, with no grease in any bearings/hubs, the brakes drained of fluid, etc Which is why Cannondale don't give weights on their website. Essentially they say:
    "Everyone is lying, we don't want to lie, but if we told the truth we'd look bad against their lies, so go to shop and find out"
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • 9.5 K is fairly heavy.
    The bulk of that weight as said above is in the groupset set and wheels. If you went from Tiagra to say Force, then changed the hoops to something like Mavis Kysrium SL and fitted some nice rubber say Pro race 3, you would shave off a kilo or two easy.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    My 20 year old handbuilt Columbus SLX steel bike with full Dura Ace 7402, Campag Record carbon Looks, bottle cage etc. (no missing bits) is 9kg to go. My similar age Ribble 653 with 600/Ultegra is the same. SLX is running handbuilt CXP 33's which weigh 1.8kgs, so no silly weight wheels to cheat.

My new fixed with alloy frame/carbon forks is about 8kg fully built - well it was before the rack and panniers went on.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    My 1985 501 steel framed Raleigh Sprint weighed 10.8k with its heavy michelin tyres and original wheels. Plenty of room there to bring it down to the weight of more modern bikes.
  • When I got my Spesh built up a couple of years ago I moaned when I was in the shop collecting it that it was heavy, so they weighed it for me, 6.8kg. Just weighed it on the scales at home 6.5kg! Not sure I'd trust either scales to be honest...