Cycle computer help, pretty please.

pianoleo
pianoleo Posts: 135
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
I've just bought one of the £15 tesco jobbies, on a whim. All the usual functions plus a cadence sensor, which is wired. It wasn't until I'd got it home that I realised the main sensor is wireless, which, if I remember correctly from previous BR threads, is likely to have interference problems given the numerous LEDs I tend to have going during my evening rides.

So, before I take it out of the packaging and fit it, can anybody confirm that it does or doesn't have interference issues? If so, can anybody recommend a cycle computer with cadence sensor (HRM would be nice but I'm basically indifferent) that is WIRED and won't break the bank. I'm obviously expecting to pay more than £15 but let's say not more than double figures.

Thanks all - I've searched the boards and found some related issues but no definitive answers!

Comments

• Topeak do one with wired cadence and speed, I have one which I no longer use, replaced it with a garmin which was more than double figures...... :D
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • pianoleo
    Cheers. By the looks of things, the Cateye Strada (wireless) seem to use some new-fangled ID coding thing that stops interference. I'll take a look at the Topeak one.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The Cateye's are good - I have the Strada Double Wireless, and it sits slap bang in between two high powered Hope 1 LED's and a Knog Toad flasher - never had any trouble at all.
  • I had the Cateye Strada Double wireless. It was totally "deafened" by the noise generated by the Cateye EL610 Single Shot Plus light I had on the bars next to it when that light was in dim or flash modes.

The ID they mention is to stop several Cateye Wireless units interfering with each other if you are riding close to others who have the same kit.

I ended up sending it back to Wiggle when it later failed and replaced it with a Garmin Edge 500 which the uses ANT+ digital standard and has been totally immune to noise from the light and several others, eg MagicShine I have added since. But its more expensive and does more stuff as well.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i use a gsp holux (GPSport 245) for my computer, only thing it doesnt do is cadence. but it does allow you to track where you have cycled to/ from

and because its gps you dont have to configure it, turn it on and go
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    On different bikes I've used a combination of Cateye Micro Wireless and Commuter Wireless computers, with Knog Frog, Knog Strobe, and P7, C2 and Fenix lights, as well as a little topeak flashing one. I've never had any interference, so I wouldn't assume that it'll be a problem.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • pianoleo
    Thanks all - I'll have a look at all those options!
  • pianoleo wrote:
    So, before I take it out of the packaging and fit it, can anybody confirm that it does or doesn't have interference issues?!
    I see no other reasonable way that you can test the computer, so I would expect Tesco to take it back, even if it is open, if it fails to work properly.

To ensure they take it back , it may be worth having a couple of lights flashing in your pocket when at customer services ... seeing the computer register a speed when it is patently not attached to a bike should give them pause for thought...
  • I had a cheapo wireless cycle computer and it was plagued with interference issues. I now have a Cateye Commuter, also wireless, but £50, and now no problems at all.
  • pianoleo
    @Specialized Needs, thanks for that. I'd taken it out of the packaging, then realised it was partially wireless, but it hadn't occurred to me that I didn't actually need to fit it on the bike to test it next to LEDs.

From the comfort of my desk, I can see that with a Smart Bspoke 1W positioned fairly closely to the computer, with the light on either of the constant settings (low or high beam) I get a false distance reading, but not a speedo reading, and with the light flashing/pulsing I'm apparently moving at 66km/hour. This is without bothering to hook anything up to the bike.

Looks like it's going to be a Cateye Strada. Not sure I can justify the V2C or the V3 but I do like the idea of having more information on view at any one time....