Ideas for a podium

LukeB
LukeB Posts: 78
edited February 2011 in MTB general
I've organised a race for next week and the last thing I need to arrange is a podium. There's no satisfaction in winning a race if you can't look down upon the mere mortals you have crushed into defeat.

I've drawn a total mental blank as to what I can use that is free/veeery cheap and easily attainable. I thought of pallets but I've not acquired pallets since I was 13 when I "found" some to make northshore out of and wouldn't know where to get some above the law.

Can anyone smarter than me give me a good idea please? Cheers!

Comments

• Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    Ring your local athletics club and see if thy have soemthing you can borrow?

Alternatively see if you can aquiresome broken pallets fro a builders yard which you can use.
  • Scaff tower? Ask a local scafollding/building firm - tell them they can be the sponsor!
    Town halls sometimes have podium like stuff especially if they have a stage - similarly schools.

Pallets are quite low and you want to be up around 4 5 feet at least without it being wobbly.

You could borrow a pub garden table (the ones with the bench seats attached) or someone might have one in their garden (we have) . If you have one bench facing away it can be the step up to the top.

A really sturdy table - covered and faced with steps up.

Old LandRover - you can clim all over those

Finish the race somewhere that has something that can double as a podium
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited February 2011
    Will you ever need it again? It'd take about an hour to just make a podium out of a big sheet of thick mdf, £20 or less should be. That's assuming some sort of electric saw and drill, mind, it'll be longer by hand.

Self storage places seem to be a good place for pallets if you go that route but you'll need quite a few... Both the local places to me are happy to give them away, they don't even ask why. If you do go with pallets NOT THE BLUE ONES as they'll send their hired goons after you.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Check out Sam Hill on the 'temporary podium' until he was knocked off by Minaar.

pbpic3571202.jpg

Just stick a bucket seat on the back of a pickup 8)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    a parked up nissan navarra, mitsubishi l200 or whatever.

3rd place in the tail gate, 2nd on the bonnet and 1st on the roof?
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    dig two holes in the ground, winer stands on the surface, the losers stand in holes, one deeper than the other.