eBay prices

chadders81
chadders81 Posts: 744
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
I have been amazed a couple of time this week at the prices people are paying for stuff on eBay.

Take this Ribble frame for example. Probably thought it would go for £50ish given the new price. Went for £75 in the end plus the £20 postage. You can get a new one for £110 from Ribble!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11002.m4 ... AA:GB:1123

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    True, but on the other hand I won a diesel injector pump for a TDi (£250 from any breakers) for £41 yesterday. It's all about knowledge and tactics. Last summer I sold a Schwinn bought for £20 for north of £400.... Still, it can go wrong.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    closer to £160 new, as this lot included a set of forks; so just over half price if you include posting.

I know what you mean though, some of the bikes I've had my eye on, have gone for silly money.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    You take the chance with Ebay.....it preys on your sense of competitiveness.

recent wins:

Macpac Vamoose baby carrier + accesories: £107 (these are about £200 in the shop)

Sram Rival STI levers: £57, sold as broken, but when they arrived they are working perfectly!

In terms of selling, I am reluctant to sell on Ebay due to the paypal fees and the hassle of boxing stuff up and postage fees.

Rather sell locally! Who wants a wheelset?!?!?! £60 ono! Tiagra hubs, Omega rims, 700c barely used. In silver!

LoL - thread hijack!
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    Rather sell locally! Who wants a wheelset?!?!?! £60 ono! Tiagra hubs, Omega rims, 700c barely used. In silver!

LoL - thread hijack!

Double hijack! How do you find Tiagra hubs?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:

LoL - thread hijack!

No problem - cheap cheerful, sealed bearing. They have done about 100 miles....so, no long term test.
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    gtvlusso wrote:

LoL - thread hijack!

Is this for both wheels? What cassette will they take? I could do with new wheels (front has a flat spot from a pothole) and i'm local :wink:
    us0.png
  • gtvlusso
    Yup - both wheels. PM Me.

They will take 8/9/10 speed Shimano cassette - may even have an old cassette somewhere.....

The hubs are the latest version.
  • It's true. I've seen some very iffy looking bikes go for good prices recently. I've been caught up in it myself too - upping your maximum bid by 50 quid because you might be onto a bargain.

I had to give myself a reality check last week when watching a bike that clearly wasn't what it was advertised as. The seller obviously didn't know what it was either, which should have set alarm bells ringing right from the start. I saw sense the day before auction end, but the bike still went for several hundred quid.
  • Not sure I'd buy a half decent bike blind. I have bought 2 from ebay but in each case I went to view first, as much to assure myself that the seller was genuine as to see the condition of the bike. On the first occasion I made a fair offer and we closed the auction there and then, on the second occasion I thought the reserve was too high so politely told the seller what I’d be prepared to pay, and when it didn’t sell he got back to me and accepted my offer.

There are deals to be had if you are careful and patient.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    There are bargains to be had but decide your price then walk away, don't fall into the bidding trap.
    Was looking at an Altura pannier of my wife last week, found it new for £37 with free postage. A 2nd hand one on eBay went for £27 plus £8 postage?!?
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I saw a flight 05 a while back with a low reserve of £1.20 but postage of £1200
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

LoL - thread hijack!

No problem - cheap cheerful, sealed bearing. They have done about 100 miles....so, no long term test.

Interesting, I thought Shimano hubs were all loose ball and cone bearings.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I bought some pedals on buy it now for £13.95. The same seller had an indentical pair up for auction and the price, with postage, was at £16 :roll:
  • rjsterry wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

LoL - thread hijack!

Interesting, I thought Shimano hubs were all loose ball and cone bearings.

They are, but still are sealed with good, labyrinth seals to keep the gunk out. I assume that means they have a miniature version of David Bowie at each side.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Nice destroyer - how about a harrier jump jet (admittedly decommissioned but hey)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WOW-EX-RAF-4-SQN-Harrier-Jump-Jet-Aircraft-XW269-RARE-/140508652633?pt=UK_CPV_Aviation_SM&hash=item20b6f7e459#ht_3351wt_951

However back on thread - yes sometimes things get silly on ebay but there are bargains to be had. Got my first road bike last year, nothing special a Saracen Ventoux with Sora groupset for £95 - has seen me through last year and got me hooked, done a couple of sportives and a 100 miler, will now make a great hack bike as I intend to get something nicer in the spring.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    mr_poll wrote:
    Nice destroyer - how about a harrier jump jet (admittedly decommissioned but hey)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WOW-EX-RAF-4-SQN-Harrier-Jump-Jet-Aircraft-XW269-RARE-/140508652633?pt=UK_CPV_Aviation_SM&hash=item20b6f7e459#ht_3351wt_951

However back on thread - yes sometimes things get silly on ebay but there are bargains to be had. Got my first road bike last year, nothing special a Saracen Ventoux with Sora groupset for £95 - has seen me through last year and got me hooked, done a couple of sportives and a 100 miler, will now make a great hack bike as I intend to get something nicer in the spring.

I see your Harrier jump jet and raise you.....one private jet with engines, all you need is a certificate of air worthyness

http://www.edisposals.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Disposals-Public-Site/en_US/-/GBP/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=MieqQ4wkQg8000ArvQ_8K1sp00008c_gGLKY?ProductUUID=vwvAqBIQQ%2eYAAAEtyTxJy_HA&CatalogCategoryID=VaLAqBELPagAAAED8GeasfoP&JumpTo=OfferList

I much perfer the idea of a real life game of battleships though :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men