What length spokes are required for 700c wheelset

timboctou
timboctou Posts: 2
edited February 2011 in Workshop
I've just bought a Shimano Sora Front Hub (HB 3300) and I want to try and get all the bits I would need to try & build a wheel up myself.
Not having tried this before can anyone help in respect of what type / length of spokes I would need for a 700c wheel build (probably for a 700c x 28 / 32).

Comments

• depends on what lacing you want, rim depth, hub flange size.

there are a few web sites that have calculators on them.

DT swiss used to have a calculator, I tried several sites but due to my setup, they gave me 3 different sizes, each within 2mm of each other.

After talking to my lbs, he said the difference between spoke sizes were negligible and to use one size.

This made sense to me as i this was for our touring bikes and didn't want to take 3 different spoke sizes with me.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    dt swiss competition spokes are a good place to start.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Use a spoke calculator, depends on lacing, rim, and hub flange thingy.

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • I find the wheelsmith spoke calculator to be the most accurate. Although you have to input the hub/rim measurements manually.

For spokes use dt-comps and brass nipples. Soak the nipples in light oil before using them and use a decent spoke key, I like the park ones but the spokey style ones are the best IMO. Particularly the m-part workshop grade one which has two inserts to support almost all the square section of the nipple.
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    The wheelpro calculator has been good to me.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've used Wheelpro to find the spokes I needed for the builds I've done. You do need to get some measurements off the hub aswell but a bit of time here can save a lot of problems later.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The wheelpro calculator is good but only has alimited library of rims and hubs. I used the spocalc to find hub and rim dimensions, however it calculated the spokelengths completely wrong (3cm too large) on one side of my wheels.

Find spocalc on Sheldon Brown

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm