Motorcycles in sheffield stands?

straas
straas Posts: 338
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
Is it legal for motorcycles to park on the pavement in sheffield stands?

There's a few that have started popping up where I park and seem to be getting more numberous as word must be getting round that they won't get hassle there.

It's really annoying because every bike takes up the space of 2 bikes, and as they're so cumbersome I'm sure it wont be long before some damage is done to bikes whilst manouvering the motorcycles across the pavement.

So is it illegal, and how do I stop it?
FCN: 6

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Never really seen it but then most bike stands in London are crammed with pedal bikes and a motorbike wouldn't fit...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Outside our office there is a low level stand especially for motorcycles.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    There are Sheffield Stands designed specifically for Motor Bikes in London. They tend to be a bit bigger and thicker and usually have a picture of a motorbike on them.

As for actually using one designed for a cycle, then I would imagine it's unlikely they would get in trouble for it. Though perhaps in Central London where there is limited room on the pavements they may take a different view as motorbikes are a bit big to be left parked on them.
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    mattomal wrote:
    Is it legal for motorcycles to park on the pavement in sheffield stands?

No, Yes or maybe.

AFAIK if the motorcycle is obstructing the pavement then it's illegal.

In addition if the road has a parking restriction this applies to motor vehicles on the pavement as well. i.e. Double Yellows on road, mean no parking on the pavement next to the road as well!

However if it's not obstructing the pavement, and there are no parking restrictions the motorbike is probably okay.

IMHO they are fellow two wheelers, so cut them some slack.

However if it's mopeds, then a phonecall to the local authority or police asking for them to look at the parking situation wouldn't be unwarranted!

Rufus.
  • This sometimes annoys me as they take up space for two bikes but often only wrap their chain around the rear wheel, not actually to the stand. So why are they there in the first place?.
    Take a look:
    http://bristolcars.blogspot.com/search/ ... %20parking
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it illegal to park a motor vehicle on the pavement?. Motorbikes have engines.....
    "Anything for a weird life"

Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I think it's illegal to park a motorbike on the pavement. It's also inconsiderate if it is a stand well used by push bikes.
    The fact that it may be inconsiderate bothers me more than breaking the law.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    If it annoys you, use a spare lock and lock it to the bikestand for him then stand well back and watch.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In London it's a contravention (not illegal as parking is decriminalised in all of London) to park any motor vehicle on the pavement, elsewhere its not usually illegal or a contravention of itself.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Says "Bicycle" on the tax-disc!
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I have seen motorcycle and scooter riders who've done this with parking tickets on their bikes. I saw a motorbike get ticketed doing just this at the Barbican a few years ago. I have also seen scooters with tickets on them for doing this in Cambridge. This is the only time I like traffic wardens. It is damn inconsiderate of motorcyclists and scooter riders as has already been said they take up at least two bike spaces and they also drop oil onto the pavement around the bike rack. There are normally plenty of spaces to park motorbikes and scooters elsewhere.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    We have cycle stands in Bolton on the precient (sp), they're usually covered in motorbikes but to be honest I ain't bothered. It means there's more people around to make sure some scrote doesn't nab me baby!
  • I have just checked with WD Police, and have been told that "MOTORbike"! gives it away, he hasid, MOTOR, not on pavement unless there is a clearly designated stand with a "motorbike" sysmbol AND a clearly marked access to it.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html