Leaving the world of MTB into Fixie for Commute

Graeme_aberdeen
Graeme_aberdeen Posts: 156
edited February 2011 in Commuting general
Well, after much consideration I've gotten rid of my MTB (wasn't using it all,, 2 times in 8 months!) so it's been sold.

I've purchased (await Wiggle delivery) of a Charge Plug Freestyler fixie bike and will be onto it for the commute to work (approx 4 miles)...

looking forward to a whole new world out there.....

anyone else ride a fixie?

Thanks to all

Graeme
I like bike, bike is bike.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fixie? no I've prgressed out of the 1920's.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I've an SS bike that has a flip flop hub with a fixed on one side, freewheel on the other.
    Have to say I found very few, if any, reasons to run the fixed side & just keep it on there as an emergency get home option. In stop/start/busy traffic it was just an annoyance & I never found it particularly confidence inspiring, anything approaching an emergency stop was scary tbh. It was ok on long uninterrupted journeys though but not really any better than the freewheel, which allowed me to actually stop safely.
    Think it must just be a marmite thing though, as I know people that love riding them.
  • I too parked up the MTB and bought a bought a Charge Plug Grinder from Wiggle for the commute thro London. Had a go on a fixie, didn't feel the name to follow the fad or work in new media, and went with SS.

However, there's nothing worse than cycling on UK roads and nothing better than Spring / summer / Autumn in the woods on an MTB.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    straitty wrote:
    I too parked up the MTB and bought a bought a Charge Plug Grinder from Wiggle for the commute thro London. Had a go on a fixie, didn't feel the name to follow the fad or work in new media, and went with SS.
    :-) You'll find a few people on here who don't fit that demographic!
    However, there's nothing worse than cycling on UK roads and nothing better than Spring / summer / Autumn in the woods on an MTB.
    Speak for yourself! Riding offroad always seems like too much hard work for too little fun, to me... On the road you can roll along with the wind in your hair and enjoy the view and the feeling of smooth, quiet continous movement that only cycling brings and is stronger on a fixie... On a bike in the woods I go too fast to enjoy the woodland but too slow to enjoy the cycling: I'd rather walk and look around!
    Cheers,
    W.
  • I use my MTB on the road to commute :shock:

Slick tyres and a good srong bike, in fact three bikes all MTB and all on and off road, is a fixie just one gear for learners.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Was wondering why there is so much prejudice about single speed bikes in general amongst cycle owners? Is it not a little strange as its just one gear so less fuss and kinder to the environment as those turning machines don't need powered as much ;)
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    Good point.

Bikes are good news. All this tribal bickering is complete bollocks.
  • Riding fixed is dull and unispiring, but it is often a phase some cyclists have to go through before realizing it. Maybe it's is just the project of converting a bike to fixed that is the appealing bit.
  • The Rookie
    If I lived in a vaguely flat area I could understand the appeal of single speed, but I don't, any single gear would be so compromised for uphills that downhill I'd be coasting, hence fixed appeals even less.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I am not sure how having gears is inspiring though.. I've ridden bikes since I was 6..

Trike (single speed) ;)
    Grifter (3 Gears)
    MTB No1 (9 gears)
    MTB No2 (good old Claud - 9 Gears)
    MTB No3 (27 pointless gears)
    2 hardtails and a FS all with 27 gears.

When riding on roads all I've ever ever used is 2 gears max
    When riding in forests all i've ever used is 4 gears (granny, mid (2) and highest)
    Downhill no point just use the highest gear.

So for riding on a commute to work even with hills just stand up out of the saddle and push harder.

Man I think sometimes people forget how to ride a bike...

take the above in humour and with a pinch of salt, perhaps some vaz also?

I really sometimes wonder about our nation, the tribal nonsense about bikes...the dutch must laugh their asses off.....
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I commute on a fixed during the winter, and it's great fun. My bike also has a flipflop hub, but I've only ever used the SS side once, didn't really see the point, just made the bike feel like a broken fixie.

Get out and enjoy yourself on it!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    If I lived in a vaguely flat area I could understand the appeal of single speed, but I don't, any single gear would be so compromised for uphills that downhill I'd be coasting, hence fixed appeals even less...

One of the cool things about riding fixed is that you discover how little you actually need gears. I was far from convinced that I would be able to ride my commute on a fixie, as it involves some significant ups & downs but I found I adapted pretty quickly, initially enjoying the challenge and subsequently just enjoying the ride more.

You might be surprised what you can already just push on up and spin on down... give it a few months of practice and your perspective shifts.
    I have a choice of routes to the local stations- 4 miles of rolling hills, 8 miles of flat or a 6 mile big climb over a hill and down the other side. I used to avoid the last of these, even on a geared bike but it turns out that it's actually the fastest way to work- just needs more commitment to push up the climb.

It's not for everyone, for sure- I enjoy the simplicity, having less "bike" to think about means I enjoy the cycling more (and I'm a committed fettler- I've been accused of being a gear freak in the past!). For others cycling is all about the bike... or the look, or just getting from A to B.
    One thing's for sure- I'm a much stronger cyclist since I started riding fixed. Even if it turns out to be a phase (~5 years so far) I've learned a lot from doing it.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Try riding an MTB in Holland, they'll laugh "Where's the mountain?"

Fixed is great, to all you 'geared' riders 'How many gears do you ever use at once?'

Riding fixed will teach you to push circles without you even noticing, a good skill for off-road climbs where pushing squares will spin your rear/lift your front wheel.
    I admit to having a front brake fitted, same brake blocks for over 4 years and they're half way through their lifespan. I rarely ever use them, instead I anticipate road speed/junctions/descents and modulate my speed accordingly.
    Going uphill is fine, I've never had to get off and push and I'm running a 77" gear.

To those that state they've moved on from 1905, I presume you all use carbon fibre, Di2, aero bikes, with disc brakes, power assist e-bikes and Sat-Nav? If all these things make cycling easier, how easy do you want it?
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    To be honest, I'd own a SS/FG bike but I don't have the room, so for me its pointless. I use all my gears and I particularly like having a good top end, most fixie riders around London aren't geared high enough to keep up :wink:

I would love a 2010 Pinarello Lungavita.
  • The Rookie
    My commute I just about spin out my 46/11 top gear on the one long downhill and I tend to use the 46/28 on the way up, with panniers containing a laptop getting out the saddle is not a sustained option as the back of the bike is too top heavy, so I'll stay geared!

Simon
  • I have got a Charge Plug, run it single speed, have a 18 mile round trip commute and think its great, especially in crappy weather. No gears to worry about, you just grind up and get over hills and I am sure makes you a stronger cyclist. After your Charge, you will find a mounatin bike a real drag. Go for it and enjoy iy.
  • gears are for grannies... discuss.... ;)
  • gears are for grannies... discuss.... ;)
    That's because their knees are shot from riding FG/SS when they were younger.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    gears are for grannies... discuss.... ;)

37 gear inches going up fully loaded with a tent & 2 panniers on the back...
    simplon-summit.jpg

...and 112 inches going back down the other side...
    Decent-Simplon.jpg

...bring your fixed gear next time I go :wink:
  • ok, I will be too busy enjoying the scenery taking my time.. perhaps I may even get off and have a beer or two ;)

what you dont see folks, is the 4x4 parked just out of shot ;)
  • I ride fixie, loving it currently
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I would never go back to gears on my commute - too much faffing about and not up to lasting through the winter. Had to go back to gears for a month recently and when I got the fixed back I realised what I'd been missing.

I switched to single speed because of the wear and tear costs and got used to it in no time at all. Without a doubt it improved my fitness. I often have 7/8kg loaded into my panniers and it causes no problem only having the one gear.

This winter I decided to try out fixed - I don't buy into the 'at one with the bike' stuff as I found it very similar to riding single speed but it has its advantages. In my 14 mile commute I use the front brake maybe two or three times and even then only lightly - the smoothness of accelerating and decelerating is quite pleasant once you've got the feel of it.

Riding fixed is a bit like listening to vinyl records - lots of people will say technology has moved on but it will always attract new fans.
  • Why ride a fixed gear on public roads? Keep it for the velodrome.

I zoom past more and more fixies each month. Some risk their life and knees trying to keep up but they never can. I just cant see the logic in it. I get 10 000miles out of a DA chain and cassette. Im always riding at peak cadence so my knees are great as is my power. I just dont get it. I ride a bamboo bike so its not like Im scared of being different, Im just into function vs fashion.

Gears work.
    Fixies hurt! :wink:
    Over 400 000km cycled as a vegan.

Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/durianriders/
  • CTank
    CTank Posts: 46
    A lot of people seem to have an (albeit lighthearted) prejudice against fixed-gear bikes. I commute 16miles each way, couple of small hills inbetween, and I have yet to notice any disadvantage to dispensing with gears. I'd go as far to say that I'll probably never commute on anything else now. You soon get used to it, like any other kind of bike.

Avoid singlespeed though, that really is pointless :wink: