I was fined by the police (well PCSO) this morning

georgee
georgee Posts: 537
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
I was just fined £30 by a PCSO for cutting across 3 meters of pavement while dismounting to go into the cyclist entrance to my office. What an exceptional waste of police time and my taxes given I had just completed 14 miles witnessing far greater and more dangerous traffic infringements by all manner of drivers and cyclists.

I admit I was on the pavement though I find the whole situation ludicrous, any thoughts on what action I can take to appeal it or report the PCSO for just being a weapon?

Comments

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    georgee wrote:
    I was just fined £30 by a PCSO for cutting across 3 meters of pavement while dismounting to go into the cyclist entrance to my office. What an exceptional waste of police time and my taxes given I had just completed 14 miles witnessing far greater and more dangerous traffic infringements by all manner of drivers and cyclists.

I admit I was on the pavement though I find the whole situation ludicrous, any thoughts on what action I can take to appeal it or report the PCSO for just being a weapon?

On what basis would you appeal? You've just admitted you did it!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Should have laughed and walked off - PCSO's have f*ck all power. However, they do have radio's.......
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Tried to get me outside Newport station a few months ago - just gave him a cheery 'Tara' and rode off. Feck 'em.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    I share a building with Mossad so there are always coppers loitering about. I was arguing my case to which the monkey just kept staring at his pad with his hand shaking.

I know I can't appeal it I just think it was just a ridulous use of their time and power.

I should have said 'hold on a sec" and just walked off into the car lift.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    I was sitting in the asl at the lights between poultry and cheapside this morning with a cab beside me (in the asl) when a cso crosses the road completely ignoring the ped crossing 2 metres away and walks through the front of the traffic queue, as he passes to cut round behind me I turn and look at the cab and then at the asl box underneath it as if to say 'are you not going to say something' and the cso just glares at me then gives my bike a thorough going over with his eyes as if he's looking for an infraction before walking off. he didn't bat an eyelid at the cab.
    :roll:
    Hat + Beard
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    edited February 2011
    Assuming its a FPN you will have the option to go to court and argue your case. Look at the back of the notice. For the sake of £30 most people can't be bothered with the hassle...
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Does sound like a waste of time, and a way to annoy people. Some discretion is required so that the oik riding down a crowded pavement gets nabbed, but the obvious shortcut to a building perhaps gets a warning. I suspect they only give them to people likely to be no threat and that will pay.

I wouldn't bother contesting it though as that'll just use more effort.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    georgee wrote:
    I share a building with Mossad so there are always coppers loitering about. I was arguing my case to which the monkey just kept staring at his pad with his hand shaking.

I know I can't appeal it I just think it was just a ridulous use of their time and power.

I should have said 'hold on a sec" and just walked off into the car lift.

There's a car lift? So cars can cross the pavement to get to the car lift but you cannot? Sounds like ground to appeal it to me.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    hatbeard wrote:
    I was sitting in the asl at the lights between poultry and cheapside this morning with a cab beside me (in the asl) when a cso crosses the road completely ignoring the ped crossing 2 metres away and walks through the front of the traffic queue, as he passes to cut round behind me I turn and look at the cab and then at the asl box underneath it as if to say 'are you not going to say something' and the cso just glares at me then gives my bike a thorough going over with his eyes as if he's looking for an infraction before walking off. he didn't bat an eyelid at the cab.

Was it the pink bike with electrical tape all over it?
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    georgee wrote:
    I was just fined £30 by a PCSO for cutting across 3 meters of pavement while dismounting to go into the cyclist entrance to my office.

Next time don't slow down (20 should do it) and bunny hop *over* the pavement. Problem sorted! :twisted:
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    "I fought the law and the law won"
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Should have laughed and walked off - PCSO's have f*ck all power. However, they do have radio's.......

What powers do they have for detaining you? And could you be done for walking away in such a situation?
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Now you've stopped and given details you're best just paying. But as others have said the way way to deal with a PCSO is just to ride off.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    kelsen wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

What powers do they have for detaining you? And could you be done for walking away in such a situation?

I think they have to call an adult to deal with you in that situation.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    JZed wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

Was it the pink bike with electrical tape all over it?

don't you dare discriminate against the pig! (i mean the bike not the pcso) I was in Full Rapha (tm) so I was clearly not a bike thief. :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    georgee wrote:
    I was just fined £30 ....... What an exceptional waste of my taxes

Waste? It sounds like £30 of profit to me :wink:

It does seem a stupid thing to ticket you for, but didn't you see him/her and maybe think about adding 3 seconds to your journey by dismounting, just to play it safe?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    That sucks, sadly you may have looked an easy target, at the same time; they don't know how you've ridden for the previous 14 miles and can only go on that one incident. I'd not bother appealing, have to take it on the chin..
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I had a row with 2 of these c*nts last year. Ended up refusing to give details and cycling off. They basically conceded that there was nothing they could do - even invited me to 'give false details' so I could be on my way. They can radio for support but srsly, even if a proper copper does respond, you're hardy gonna hang about waiting for them are you. Total waste of time. Also had a go at 2 obese PSCO's (on scooters) for not pulling up a cabbie that RLJ'ed twice in front of them Was told they don't have the powers to deal with traffic infringements.

Next time just refuse to comply and ride off, leave them to deal with people that actually need a talking to, like the ninja lightless RLJ'er that I saw the fuzz pull over in Battersea last night. Now that did make me smile, especially as I'd politely suggested he get some lights not moments before. He told me to 'f*ck off' then jumped a light right in front of a police car. Tw@t.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Next time just refuse to comply and ride off, leave them to deal with people that actually need a talking to, like the ninja lightless RLJ'er that I saw the fuzz pull over in Battersea last night. Now that did make me smile, especially as I'd politely suggested he get some lights not moments before. He told me to 'f*ck off' then jumped a light right in front of a police car. Tw@t.

:lol: Brilliant.

Reminded me of a time some fool was weaving down the motorway, I said to my mate; I wish that undercover jag parked a few miles back had seen that, "neee noooorrrr neeee norrrr" 8)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I had a row with 2 of these c*nts last year. Ended up refusing to give details and cycling off. They basically conceded that there was nothing they could do - even invited me to 'give false details' so I could be on my way. They can radio for support but srsly, even if a proper copper does respond, you're hardy gonna hang about waiting for them are you. Total waste of time. Also had a go at 2 obese PSCO's (on scooters) for not pulling up a cabbie that RLJ'ed twice in front of them Was told they don't have the powers to deal with traffic infringements.

Interesting, does that mean that when they stop a cyclist who runs a red light or rides on the pavement, they're pretty much just bluffing?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I got the impression they could deal with pavement cycling but not on-road traffic. However I also got the distinct impression that they were just too lazy to bother doing anything at all. Honestly it was like the 2 fat ladies in hi-viz.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    When I was a cycling noob I had a p*ture in the no mans land between Wimbledon and Raynes Park. Sat down on the street I tried desperately to repair the tube with a p*ture kit. Back then I didn't know the wonders of just carrying a spare tube.

The p*ture was on the valve and there was no hope. Still I tried. So there I was, stuck on the road for what could have been 1hr desperately trying to save my bike. And then a lovely lady PCSO helped me out by giving me advice and then reassuring me that she could get a bus driver to let me on the bus to take me home. In the end she gave my friends a phone call and they came to rescue me.

That's where PCSO's are useful and helpful.

However, in the same area (I now live there) I mounted the pavement while on the bike and began (one pedal) rolling towards my house. A PCSO was infront of me the whole time. By the 3rd door she turns round, tells me to get off. I say "No worries I'm actually just turning in here, as this is where I live" (or words to that affect). She continues with £30 warnings and not caring bikes shouldn't be ridden on the pavement blah blah blah. At this stage I'm just replying with "OK, OK" I Put my key in the door. Slam!

I did have my fenix on psycho-lightsaber strobe so i can kinda sympathise with her.

I do think it is one rule for all, but surely there needs to be better judgement there is a difference between actually riding on the pavement and rolling to your front door or to the entrance to Liverpool Street station because the number of people means single file (i.e on top of your bike and not beside it) will get you there quicker.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    On a similar subject, riding up Jamaica Rd this morning there were a couple of coppers/PCSO's (couldn't tell) monitoring the bus lane. As I rode towards them a car swerved into the bus lane to jump the queue, saw the coppers and swung back out again.

As I rode past I couldn't resist looking at the policeman and pointing out the car, not sure if they stopped him or not. Is that ok or does it make me a grass?
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Butterd2
    'The boys' will be round before lunch to remind you that you didn't see anything.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Blimey, you even see PCSO's then, out and about ! Rare we see real police never mind the 'Specials' these days.

You were an easy target, did something wrong, they needed the stats.... wrong place, wrong time. Bugger.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    A bit off topic, but yest. evening there was a police van in an ASL (Jamaica road London).

Not much more to say, but I wasn't bothered by it, perhaps I'm numbed to it. To be honest, other cyclists cramming the ASL and wobbling about annoys me more than a single vehicle next to me.

It's just a shame that rules are enforced as and when it suits the law enforcers.
  • They camp out on the NW corner of Chelsea Bridge, about once a week. It's easy pickings for them: cyclist starts riding north over the bridge on the western pavement. Because of the rise of the bridge, they can't see the PCSOs in wait until they get to the middle of the bridge, at the earliest. There's an enormous steel structure separating the pavement from the roadway, so there's no easy escape onto the road. The only option for a cyclist is to turn around, and do a runner most seem too dumb/lazy to do that.

PCSOs = people who've failed Police entrance requirements, are too feeble to be security guards or prison officers, but think being a park keeper is beyond the pale. They deserve our help and sympathy, not a uniform and a radio.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • The number of cars I see in the bus/cycle lane on Gloucester Road is shocking, not once have I seen a PCSO or real copper do anything.

So I just shout "CYCLE LANE" as I go past, it makes me happy.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Why would anyone be a PCSO?
    Do you get paid? or do you eventually become proper police?
    exercise.png
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    I work opposite an Asthma Police training station and often watch them toddle off into town to assert their authority.

One who I see most days must be nothing short 20stone and can barley walk. We often watch in amazment as she struggles to walk down the steps of the building with Police written on her back!!!! So so pointless

Have watched her displine some kids who looked as if they should have been in school, their response was to run up and down the road giving her the finger!!! I know its cruel but we were crying with laughter :oops: