NI helmet compulsion draws nearer...

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    and so it continues...................
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Happy with this! Although Policing it may be slightly different, furthermore where do you draw the line with the bike / age, will parents be liable for the 50 quid if little paddy fails to wear the helmet his dad bought him?
  • Happy with this!

Why?
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    northstar wrote:
    Happy with this!

Why?

Because he doesn;t live in Norn Iron :D
  • I wouldnt have a problem with this as long as it related to purely using a bike on a road. Even for kids, if you are on a road and on a bike wear a helmet, its a pretty simple rule/law to follow.

However if you are on a canal towpath, bridleway, dedicated cycle path, or forest trail then its upto you. But if you are on the road then you have to wear one, simples.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    However if you are on a canal towpath, bridleway, dedicated cycle path, or forest trail then its upto you. But if you are on the road then you have to wear one

Sweet. so black route MTBing is safer than riding along a 20mph limit residential street?

How do you get to the towpath/cycle path? Or do you just take the helmet off and swing it from the handlebars once you're off the road?
    simples.
    Oh, now I'm convinced
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    However if you are on a canal towpath, bridleway, dedicated cycle path, or forest trail then its upto you. But if you are on the road then you have to wear one

Sweet. so black route MTBing is safer than riding along a 20mph limit residential street?

How do you get to the towpath/cycle path? Or do you just take the helmet off and swing it from the handlebars once you're off the road?
    simples.
    Oh, now I'm convinced

yep do a black run without a helmet if you like, as long as you are not on a road, just like you can ride a motorbike in a field without wearing a helmet if you really want to, but you can't on a road.

If you have to ride on a road to get to the cycle path or canal tow path then you have to wear a helmet for that section of your ride (the bit where you are on the road)

wondering why this is a concept so hard for you to work out? let me break it down:-

on a road = wear a helmet
    not on a road = upto you
    :roll:
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    They were talking about this on Radio Five live a few months back, a guest said that after the introduction of this in another European country, casual cycling numbers dropped significantly and it decimated city centre bike schemes.
    Personal opinion - compulsory for kids and leave it at that.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Bozman wrote:
    They were talking about this on Radio Five live a few months back, a guest said that after the introduction of this in another European country, casual cycling numbers dropped significantly and it decimated city centre bike schemes.

My personal opinion - parental choice for kids, personal choice for adults and leave it at that.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Good luck trying to get all the scrotes on their 'mtbs' wearing helmets. Most are too bloody stupid to even pedal correctly. Mind you most of them ride on the pavement...
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    on a road = wear a helmet
    not on a road = upto you

But why?
  • ceeque
    ceeque Posts: 52
    they`ve already said it`ll be one of just another unenforcable rules, like riding the pavement.
    Lets face it, what they going to do with an 8 year old kid whos just nipped down the road to their mates? They`re going to have to ferry them home, hope to God that the `rents are actually in and then issue them with a fine? Its laughable ...
  • I agree with sheffSimon on this, parental choice for children adults personal choice.

Personally i wear a helmet on all leisure rides but not always on my very short commute to work. I believe people should have a choice and I'm sure the police have better things to do than endevouring to enforce a compulsary helmet law.

I'm sure most cyclists in collision with a vehicle suffer mostly from injuries from the neck down so why not pass a law on compulsary wearing of body armour. Just where do you draw the H&S line?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • I wear a helmet and encourage my kids to but it's my choice and thats how it should remain.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I do wear a lid pretty much all the time but I'd rather see motorists reminded of their responsibilities than putting the responsibility on the victim, and this is a step in that direction I think.
  • Personally, I think it's a good idea but I can guarantee it won't get the votes (even if it gets that far). Basically it's a non-story.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • thumbs down from me

I always always wear a helmet when Im on my own bike, whether commuting, training, mtb'ing, racing, whatever (though, I'm a sceptic - helmets are like gloves, good to have, they're made of polystyrene FFS, they dont offer that much protection!)

But a couple of times a week I'll fire up a Boris bike and pedal 10 minute journey, wearing a suit and tie, helmetless. Quicker than walking, far easier than the tube, and dont need to mess around with receipts from taxis. I aint carrying a helmet around London town just in case I want to hop on a rental bike...
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Bunneh wrote:
    Good luck trying to get all the scrotes on their 'mtbs' wearing helmets. Most are too bloody stupid to even pedal correctly. Mind you most of them ride on the pavement...

Presume you never rode on the pavement as a kid.....I know I did, I know my kids do, without helmets, out and about with their mates, on the road too I imagine, and I daresay without looking where they are going. Exactly as it should be at their ages.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Bozman wrote:

My personal opinion - parental choice for kids, personal choice for adults and leave it at that.

My personal opinion, ban cycle helmets.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • thumbs down from me

But a couple of times a week I'll fire up a Boris bike and pedal 10 minute journey, wearing a suit and tie, helmetless. Quicker than walking, far easier than the tube, and dont need to mess around with receipts from taxis. I aint carrying a helmet around London town just in case I want to hop on a rental bike...

thats an excellent point, what if the bike came with a helmet attached ? would that put you off using the bike completely ?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    The fit of a helmet is quite an individual thing - not just the size of helmet but adjusting the straps etc - that's before the issue of whether people would be willing to wear a helmet worn by at least dozens of other people. It's a non-starter isn't it.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    And while we're at it, I don't see why the government should get to decide if I have to wear a seatbelt or not.

Sometimes I'm in my car in a freshly pressed shirt and I don't want that pesky strap getting the shirt all wrinkled.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Pokerface wrote:
    And while we're at it, I don't see why the government should get to decide if I have to wear a seatbelt or not.

Sometimes I'm in my car in a freshly pressed shirt and I don't want that pesky strap getting the shirt all wrinkled.

Just paint a diagonal black stripe from right shoulder to left hip. Hey presto! The shirt will remain creaseless and the rozzers will think you're wearing a belt ;o)
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Would imagine that the NI assembly will pass the law with the sweetener that all bike riders will be given £100 voucher to cash in at their LBS. This to be funded by the English tax payer!! as per free prescriptions in Wales, NI / free eye tests for all in Scotland / free university education for all citizens of Scotland etc etc etc.
    Am I bitter ?? .... You bet.

Yours sincerely

English Tax Payer.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    ...thats an excellent point, what if the bike came with a helmet attached ? would that put you off using the bike completely ?

Yes. There's no way I'd wear a 'community' type lid.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    You poor misguided fools :roll:

Do you not see that this is yet another underhanded attempt by the government to aid the poor old car drivers?

After all a helmet is the perfect protection for their expensive windscreen from your head when they don't see you. :wink:
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits