Thumbs up to Rapha

ajb72
ajb72 Posts: 1,178
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
Rapha get a fair helping of stick on this and other forums (ok, so some of it they do bring on themselves!). However, I wanted to share some great service I have received to redress the balance.

I bought a couple of base layers in one of their bundle offers about 12 months ago. These developed several holes - no fault of Rapha's, our old washing machine started to eat clothing.

Rapha have a returns service for any item bought through them directly - they will basically have a go at repairing any damage whether through accident or general wear. I sent them off, and 3 weeks later I have received them back and repaired to a very high standard - you'd have to be looking for the damage to spot anything. They were also sent by guaranteed delivery.

Big thumbs up for Rapha anyway. The goods might cost more up front than some brands, but with this sort of after sales and product longevity, I think it's worth paying a bit more.

Comments

• wasabi_m
    wasabi_m Posts: 164
    Had a similar experience with a jersey i crashed in. Jersey was repaired very well and the matching armwarmers were replaced for new, all free of charge.

Excellent service.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Also found their customer service to be exemplary. I've had a pair of their Criterium gloves - best gloves I've ever had by the way - and wore them pretty much into the ground. Eventually I had a tear develop around the wrist. I asked how much it would cost to have them repaired and they said: free. And did a great job of it, bouncing them back startlingly quickly.

I had expected to pay - this was in no way a design fault or failing in workmanship; I must have worn those gloves for 20,000 miles. at least. I guess they'll probably go for another 20,000 now.

I think some of their marketing is absurd, and a few of their extraneous products as well, some of it even a bit embarrassingly so, but when they stick to their core business, turning out fine performance cycling gear, they really are hard to beat. I've got several jerseys and their softshell jacket, used them heaps for years thus far, and they are like new. Well worth the cost in the long term.
  • the stitchings coming away on my classic jesery, will have to look into it to see if its worth sending it down for a repair!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Changed my sizing on their winter gloves three times without any hassle, 1st class service ....
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    It took them a week to answer my e-mail. I've spent a few hundred quid with them but never again, they have more competition now at much more reasonable prices.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Hoopdriver
    You're lucky they responded to your e-mail at all. Much as I like them, I must say they are absolutely terrible at responding to any and all e-mails. As a result I always call if I have a query or problem, and if I do that, their service is great.

They really do need to get on the ball with their e-mails though, or just stop offering it as an option for contacting them because from what I've seen and experienced, nobody there reads them.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Sounds like you've been a bit unlucky with the emails, the twice I've contacted them this way I have had a response with in 24 hours.
  • Yes I must say they have always provided excellent service
  • antfly
    It always looks suspicious when somebody posts something like that straight after joining.
  • Hoopdriver
    I see. Do you suggest a probationary period? No positive feedbacks until one has posted a sufficient number of times?

If this was an effusive 500 word panegyric, that would be one thing but a single line of agreement with what everybody else has been saying - well, I think you could cut the guy some slack.
  • antfly
    It's not the number of posts it's the timing. One bland post then this 15 minutes later, you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes. Or would Rapha never stoop so low?
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    antfly - I would have thought if they don't have time to reply to your emails, they probably don't have time to monitor forums and create accounts to reply to threads. Rapha threads are up there with the most common threads on here - I guess the publicity is good either way for them!
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    excellent service from them in run up to xmas. my new jacket appeared to be missing some reflective piping. emailed them and they emailed me back asking me to ring. i did and explained problem and they biked a replacement to me-i am in london-and then offered me a discount on a jacket for my partner.