Our Highlands holiday plans

Rich25
Rich25 Posts: 231
edited February 2011 in MTB general
-Start at Fort Bill for a day on the Nevis red
-Nip down to Glencoe to to the Devil's staircase
-Over to Aviemore to do Laggan Wolftrax
-Finally some natural riding on the Isle of Skye (Sligichan loop)

What a week of biking!

Comments

• cavehill
    cavehill Posts: 126
    Sounds like a good trip. We are planning a similar week. Glentress/inners then up to Ben Nevis/Glencoe and Wolftrax.

Cant fookin wait
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    All sounds awesome. But the things is ... for this sort money spent, Andorra could be on cards.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Rich25
    Indeed it could but I would genuinely prefer the highlands
  • cavehill
    cavehill Posts: 126
    LOL As it happens I am for andorra in June. Barcelona in April. But sure Scotland has to be done aswell.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Sounds grand... Chuck in a lap of the world cup XC at nevis range once the lifts close for the day.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Scotland is amazing, when it doesn't rain. Honest.

-1 for vicious midges, don't buy spray from pharmacy better ask local riders what they use.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Northwind
    A thick coating of Skin So Soft with a cloud of jungle formula just to be sure.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Check the ingreedients - you need > 50% Diethyl Toluamide - usually referred to as DEET - watch it though - it will melt plastic / artificial fabric when wet.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Northwind wrote:
    A thick coating of Skin So Soft with a cloud of jungle formula just to be sure.

Alpine Bikes in Glasgow usually has a few bottles of Skin so Soft on the counter.
  • Northwind
    Yup, so does the green welly at tyndrum, perfect stop on the way up for petrol, deep fried burgers and midge moisturiser :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • You'll get to support UK business too. May not bother you but gives me a nice warm glow :shock:
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Is the Nevis Red you're talking about the one accessed from the chair lift? If so might get a bit boring after a few runs. Think I tried it twice and went straight back to black/orange/whatever they call it!

Might just be worth a few runs split by the XC course as someone else said.

Also, not sure which way you're heading up but if it's on the A9 you pass Laggan on the way to Fort William then go passed Fort William before having to come back over again. Might be worth heading there first if you're going up that way? It's only 40 minutes between the two right enough but means doubling back where you've already been.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Rich25
    I think i'll hire a bike if I do the orange/black as my bike was hanging after a similar run recently.

Will be going up the scenic A82 then onto Laggan.
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    you should maybe take in golspie if you fancy going even further north, it's awesome!

sounds like a good trip. I get to ride these trails every weekend (laggan this sunday!) :P
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • Rich25
    I looked at golspie mate but we just can't fit it all in.oh and she wants us to do some horse riding or something..
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I am not jealous in the slightest. :(
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,092
    Briggo wrote:
    I am not jealous in the slightest. :(

Me too :(

Been a couple of years since I have been up there
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    There is some amazing riding in Aviemore. I would be starting there then doing Laggan on the way to Nevis Red. Laggan is awesome but very short. You will spend half a day there max, unless you want to ride it all again. Which isn't a bad thing.

I could easily spend a whole day riding the Nevis Red. Amazing track. :D
  • Northwind
    Yep... I think I'd be less keen on nevis red if I had to ride to the top mind but as you don't, I love it... Boardwalk to blast at max speed, rocks to ride over round up and down, jumps and drops and berms and a river to ride across, different lines and approaches to learn... Fab. Did 8 runs the first time I was up on the Soul, 5 or 6 on the Hemlock, still not close to bored of it.

Still say it's not a red, it's harder than many blacks but that's my only beef with it. That, and it could do with a bit more variety on the boardwalk, some narrower bits as alternative lines would be good.

This means it's time for That MTB Cut Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38yKRyTkRvM&feature=related
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Rich25
    Nice video!

I think ill easily spend a whole day on that no probs. When does the gondola open do you know? It says early May but could do with being a bit more specific
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    I think it's normally about the second weekend depending on events etc. better at that time of year too. less midges and better weather.
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • Northwind
    There's an SDA round on the 14th and 15th of May so the DH track will be closed to the public and the uplift will be reduced for the red. I got the same vague "early May" answer but that'll be firmed up soon I'm sure, me and Pete are planning to head up May sometime so I can get some practice in before the endurance dh.
    Uncompromising extremist