Spring/summer base layers

godders1
godders1 Posts: 750
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
I have stacks of merino for winter riding but any recommendations for spring summer base layers? Previously I've not put much thought into summer clothing (short commute and only the occasional 20-30 miler at weekends) but I'm intent on doing some randonee and audax rides this year (so longer rides than I'm used to) and want to be comfortable when it gets a bit warmer.

Will mostly be wearing padded lycra shorts under baggies so just tops I'm interested in really.

Comments

• nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I usually wear the same Merino tops, but just roll the sleeves up (in winter I'll wear a couple of tops).

Also, I have quite a few 'active/sports' tshirts, like the Altura Mayhem. They dry fairly quick and are lighter than Merino.
  • I use Helly Hansen Lifa .

I started commuting in september when it was really hot and wore that as the top .
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Just spotted this deal in the planet-x sale:
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/ZXP ... dium=email
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    Base layers when it's warmer? I just wear cycling jerseys. Base layers are for cold/wind. Consequently I can't see the point of a short sleeved baselayer.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    meh. Wore one on a certain ride last summer when it was 35degrees. It wicked away the sweat in a nicely cooling manner...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • HH Lifa Dry.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    flicksta wrote:
    Base layers when it's warmer? I just wear cycling jerseys. Base layers are for cold/wind. Consequently I can't see the point of a short sleeved baselayer.

I'll wear a sleeveless one & arm warmers when the weather is turning and it's too cold in the morning just for a summer jersey. on the ride home just the jersey, with very little weight added to my bag
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14