Fortwilliam Bunkhouse/Hostel?

cavehill
cavehill Posts: 126
edited February 2011 in Routes
Anyone got any recommendations for accommodation in Fortwilliam. Group of us heading up in July. We are looking self catering bunkhouse or hostel. Mountain bike friendly and secure Bike storage. Laundry room also be a bonus.

Also looking at the chairlift prices. Can you just turn up and pay or is better booking online?

We are thinking about a day at Nevis Day at wolftrax and a day at glencoe. Possible exra day at one of the above if time permits.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Just turning up and paying makes more sense IMO since it's so weather dependant. Don't know of any bunkhouse places round there though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cavehill
    Do the lifts close in High winds or bad weather. Hadnt really thought about that. Cheers
  • Northwind
    Yup, both. They'll also close it to bikes sometimes when the lift's still open. It's good to keep your plans open and get the uplift days done while the weather's good, and have some plan Bs.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cavehill
    Aye well we had looked at Wolftrax as well as an option. Going by the website and videos I seen its a similar set up to the 7 Stanes. Turn up and ride. Any other trails in the area worth checking out. We are doing glentress and inners for 3 days then driving up to Fortwilliam. We have been to Glentress etc but never up at fortwilliam so any info would be appreciated.
  • Northwind
    Wolftrax is mint... Only really one day's riding though. I don't know the area that well, there's a reasonable amount of riding at nevis range other than the 2 uplift trails, you've got the world cup XC there as an XC trail too. Don't be tricked into doing the 10 Under the Ben route though, it's got some nice riding but mainly it's miles of fire road, you can put the good bits into a lap of the world cup route with a bit of mapwork. Unfortunately the cool bits of the 10UTB route are off piste and not that easy to find.

If you fancy a bit of XC there's a nice loop you can do on the west highland way, south out of fort william then back along the tarmac once you hit the military road, then round Cow Hill... Works well as a recovery ride. That was in WMB or MBUK back in about August 09. Or you can go to Kinlochleven for the Ciaran Path but we didn;t have time to do that.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cavehill
    Thanks for the reply. There should be enough to keep everyone happy up there. I got a few links to holiday cottages and bunkhouses just waiting for replies.

We have been coming over for years but always the 7 stanes. Day trips to Kirroughtree, AE etc then last year done 4 days in Glentress/Innerleithen and loved it. Been hearing good things about the fortwilliam/Glencoe area so thought we would try a week this time. Thats if the legs last it for some of our lot. Really looking forward to it.
  • Camp at the Braveheart car park in Glen Nevis, FC land and is free. No facilities though, wash in the river it's invigerating!!!!
  • Northwind
    For Glencoe, I'm sure there'll be "natural" riding, don't know the area at all though. But the DH trail there scares the bejabbers out of me, I was fine on the world cup route after I got over the nerves but I don't think I'd be fine at Glencoe, I think I'd be jam on the rocks tbh :lol: But there's the Weasel as well... Never ridden it, might check it out next time we're up.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cavehill
    I would camp no bother but there is a few of the group not keen on it and want a bed,
    Nothing wrong with a wash in the river. Thats what we do on day trips to AE. Great apart from the midgies.

Whats midgies like up in fortwilliam in July? Should I bring a flame thrower.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Midgies in Fort William? In July? Flame thrower..... that would just make them angry...
    The cold winter will have killed them all off, I predict a summer free of midgies... :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Hi

Here is a fab deal for everyone. Overnight stay with breakfast and as much free Tea & Coffee as you can drink at Chase The Wild Goose backpackers Hostel, Banavie, near Fort William. Only £11.

http://www.holibags.co.uk/glasgow-airport

Cheers :lol:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Butters1 wrote:
    Hi

Here is a fab deal for everyone. Overnight stay with breakfast and as much free Tea & Coffee as you can drink at Chase The Wild Goose backpackers Hostel, Banavie, near Fort William. Only £11.

http://www.holibags.co.uk/glasgow-airport

Cheers :lol:

Not much use to the OP who travels up at in July! Offer expires in June...
    Great offer though....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"