Just been listening to "Thinking Allowed" on Radio

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
They had a feature on cycling in London. What a load of rubbish. Nothing about RLJing though.

Well, I suppose there were some accurate points, but it just wound me up. Its not in iPlayer yet but I think I know what I will listen to when I want to get wound up.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    That sounds like torture.

It strikes me that while thinking is allowed, it is not compulsory, and these types of programmes attract people whose thoughts would have been better kept locked up on the inside of their otherwise empty heads.....

or is that harsh?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I've never heard such an odd observation of the London cycling demographic. Really, is he talking about the same city?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    I prefer FCN ranking or Burns' classification - much more accurate.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b0 ... 02_02_2011

Hmm, 'research' defined as 'I watched three bike riders then made up a load of wibble'.

Amusing, but as grounded in reality as a Raelian cloning clinic.
    John Stevenson
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    got to be one of the worst programmes on radio 4, right up with You and Yours and the vile smug Excess Baggage (how many more smug, patronising, overprivileged adventurer/traveller types can they find). And what's the deal with using a play on words that doesn't work on the f*****g radio as the title for your f*****g programme anyway?

argh!

...and relax
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    bunter wrote:
    got to be one of the worst programmes on radio 4, right up with You and Yours and the vile smug Excess Baggage (how many more smug, patronising, overprivileged adventurer/traveller types can they find). And what's the deal with using a play on words that doesn't work on the f*****g radio as the title for your f*****g programme anyway?

argh!

...and relax

Hey, you've missed out the Moral maze and half the 6:30 comedies that are about as cutting edge as "Two pints of Lager"
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    I always thought it was 'Thinking Aloud'.
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    not to mention Jennie Murray (tell me, can she not start a sentence without using the word 'Now...'?) All of the characters on the Archers and that absurd religious programme on tuesdays, what is it, Beyond Belief? -Patronising Christian discussion programme with token Muslim/Hindu/Sikh//Buddhist anyone?

Why do I listen to Radio 4 again?

Oh and f****g Moneybox

argh!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    I'm not sure. It does seem to annoy you a lot. Maybe re-tune?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    bunter wrote:
    not to mention Jennie Murray (tell me, can she not start a sentence without using the word 'Now...'?) All of the characters on the Archers and that absurd religious programme on tuesdays, what is it, Beyond Belief? -Patronising Christian discussion programme with token Muslim/Hindu/Sikh//Buddhist anyone?

Why do I listen to Radio 4 again?

Oh and f****g Moneybox

argh!
    Thought for the Day - Mind you Mark Steele did a pretty good pastiche of that last week

I wondered about mentioning moneybox.

What about "Quote Unquote", luckily "My Word" seems to have left both Radio4 and the World Service.

On the plus side: "In our Time " quite a bit of the science programming, and some of the comedy. Some of the other random one-off programmes are good too.