Getting used to longer rides - tips please

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
I may sign up for the Capital to Coast, a colleague has asked if I'm interested - it's 60 miles and I've never ridden that far, I'd struggle to do 20 miles right now!

Am after whatever tips you can give, as currently I really struggle beyond an hour of riding, might it be a lack of the right fuel and food? I've got the gear - new bike and all - just need to get fitness up and justify it!

Thanks in advance

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• SecretSam wrote:
    I may sign up for the Capital to Coast, a colleague has asked if I'm interested - it's 60 miles and I've never ridden that far, I'd struggle to do 20 miles right now!

Am after whatever tips you can give, as currently I really struggle beyond an hour of riding, might it be a lack of the right fuel and food? I've got the gear - new bike and all - just need to get fitness up and justify it!

Thanks in advance

In what way do you struggle? Are you sore? Are you tired? Do you hurt?

How quickly do you cycle? How far/often do you currently cycle?

You'll soon be ready for 60 miles
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Eat plenty of carbs, pump those tyres up, fill your water bottle, put a flapjack and banana in the jersey pocket and away you go.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Gussio wrote:
    Eat plenty of carbs, pump those tyres up, fill your water bottle, put a flapjack and banana in the jersey pocket and away you go.

This. Just ride further.

Add a couple of miles onto your next ride. Then add another mile or two onto the one after that, continue for as long as you're comfortable with, then spend a while doing the 'long' rides until you get used to them. Then extend again.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I was told when I started the long distance cycling thing that the key is regular re-fuelling and don't wait til you bonk to eat or it takes you AGES to recover. So eat every hour (either an energy bar or a banana) and drink a bit every twenty minutes. If you're forgetful you can set an alarm on your bike computer to remind you to do so.

The main thing is to build up gradually to the mileage - I wouldn't go straight from 20 miles to 60 - but perhaps try 25 one day. Then 35 the next weekend. And so on.
  • Honestly - it's more about energy management than anything else (okay, simplistic I know) but if you have a comfortable pace you'd be amazed how far you can go when you keep yourself fed and watered through the ride.

Suggest you make sure you address any ache issues beforehand as this will be the limiting factor, not your level of fitness
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Tips:

1, Don't go nuts - find a relaxed pace that suits you, screw everyone else.

2, Water water water - if you can fit 2 bottles of water to your bike, do so. get the larger 750ml bottles. Consider putting an energy booster mix in one of the bottles for a last resort hit of energy if you need it.

3, Small underseat bag of bits: Nylon ties, spare tubes x 2, patch kit (stick on patches), allen keys and any special tool your bike needs (15mm spanner for fixie wheel nuts!). If you have space for a folding tyre, then take one....Mobile phone, some change and a credit card (that works!). Fit good puncture resistant tyres - remember to take a high pressure pump for 700c tyres.

4, Know your route, know the climbs and where you can get a water/food refill. Know where you will be struggling

5, carry - arm warmers (if using short sleeved kit) and leg warmers if it looks like it will be a cold day. Sunglasses are usefull and can be jammed into your helmet as you ride along.

6, Kit - good fitting kit with a anti-bac pad - chamois cream - choose kit according to weather - always tricky! but you can do allot with a buff, and arm and leg warmers and they roll up.

7, think about suncreaming up before you go!

8, food: in your back pocket; flapjack and banana + energy bars. I would consider pasta for dinner the night before and a bacon sandwich before you go - avoid coffee, drink tea.

9, Enjoy it and have a chat to people - no one likes riding with a miserable git!

For a good quick ride consider 19mph + average. For a nice pace consider 12 to 15 mph average. Look for between 3 and 5 hours in the saddle.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    +1 to all the above. Build up gradually and it'll be no problem.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Tips:

7, think about suncreaming up before you go!

I wish. Seems like months since we saw the sun :?
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Im in exactly the same boat. Went for my first 'long' ride in ages at the weekend and managed to do about 45 miles at about 16mph. I would reccomend taking more energy than you will need. I used some cheapo energy mix and it really sorted me out. I was short on water by the end of the ride ( I took 1 1/2 litres) and this was in cold weather. On reflection I wish I had not been so obsessed with average pace and focused more on how my body felt. Im looking to up it to 65 miles this weekend and then start doing some audaxing. I would also say removing panniers and rack etc. might be a good idea.

Nice to know im not the only one moving from commuter to aspiring event rider!

Cheers

W

The energy powder I use is called High 5 Energy Source.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    +1 all above.

Ref Building up gradually adding an extra mile a day sound like a good idea but it'll take 40 days minimum to get from 20 miles to 60 miles and the last five days would require rides of 56,57,57 & 59 miles which would hurt1

I would suggest keeping your normal rides during the week but adding a slightly longer mid week ride say 20 miles and a longer still ride at the weekend, maybe 30 miles to start. Then increasing the weekend rides to 35, 40 miles over a good few weeks. Don't try to do 60 miles in training save that for the day and keep all the small rides (commuting) going as well they will help come the day. No one else has said this but have a few days off the bike before the ride so you have fresh legs.

I went from commuting 2 or 3 times a week at around 20 miles per day with the biggest rides being 15 miles, to a single weekend ride of 30 miles then striaght in to a 55 mile ride to Brighton. There was probabally a gap of around 6 weeks between the 30 mile and the 55 mile rides. I won't say it was easy but the jump from 30 to 55 was much eaiser than the jump from 15 to 30.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Tips:

3, Small underseat bag of bits: Nylon ties, spare tubes x 2, patch kit (stick on patches), allen keys and any special tool your bike needs (15mm spanner for fixie wheel nuts!). If you have space for a folding tyre, then take one....Mobile phone, some change and a credit card (that works!). Fit good puncture resistant tyres - remember to take a high pressure pump for 700c tyres.

May I suggest the addition of some powerlinks, absolute life saver if your chain snaps!
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    +1 to the comments about energy management.

I've gone from my standard 10 mile round daily commute to a couple of 20 mile rides to now riding 60 mile training sessions twice a week in about 1 month, and I plan to make increase this soon. It doesn't take a lot. Your legs might hurt after the first couple of long rides but I honestly didn't struggle - the first 60 mile ride I averaged just over 16 mph, and that was with a total ascent of just over 2600ft.

Don't drink too much water on its own or you WILL start to cramp up and you'll end up needing to get off the bike for a p*ss every hour. I'd strongly recommend an electrolyte/isotonic powder mix up drink thing to take regular small mouthfulls of - this will massively help with keeping your energy levels up and will rehydrate you much more effectively and efficiently than just water on its own.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Be prepared to tinker with your bike setup, after a few miles if you haven't had someone who knows what they're doing help you set the bike up.

Note the various "My knee hurts" threads, if you have clipless pedals.

Setup problems become more apparent on long rides...

> I really struggle beyond an hour of riding, might it be a lack of the right fuel and food?

Yes, in what way do you struggle ?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Some good advice on here.

1) Make sure your bike is comfortable for longer rides. A big, squishy saddle may be great for a trip to the shops but is no fun for many hours in the saddle. Being ultra aero may be more efficient but if you can't hold the position, you won't enjoy the ride due to neck/back/shoulder pain.

2) Don't get hung up on speed. Setting your computer to display your average speed is a bad idea.

3) Refuel very regularly. Little and often is better. Don't wait until you are hungry or thirsty to eat or drink. Its too late if you do.

4) Post ride, go for a recovery ride the next day. I would say 10% of what you did the day before.

5) Don't do a full length training ride (don't ride 60 miles in training if the actual target is 60 miles). Before my (then) longest ride of 140 miles, I did my longest ride of ~90. The 140 was easy after that.

6) Have fun
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    FFS people he's only doing 60 miles

60 miles in summer is a piece of piss for anyone that can already ride 20 miles now

60 miles isn't long distance for a one off ride
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    vorsprung wrote:

60 miles in summer is a piece of piss for anyone that can already ride 20 miles now

Fair point, put a little MTFU in a bottle and take a sip at regular intervals, you'll be fine.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • EKE_38BPM
    Butterd2 wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Fair point, put a little MTFU in a bottle and take a sip at regular intervals, you'll be fine.

Yeah, I agree, but it can be a psycological thing. It was hard for me to break the 100 mile barrier, then smashed it (as Richard Keys would say) and could do it again tomorrow if I wanted to.

• secretsam
    WesternWay wrote:
    In what way do you struggle? Are you sore? Are you tired? Do you hurt?

How quickly do you cycle? How far/often do you currently cycle?

You'll soon be ready for 60 miles

In answer to your Qs: I'm just worn out; I don't get home from work until 7.30 most evenings so weekends are my only time for a ride. I get tired after an hour or two - just physically worn out.

• Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Yeah, I agree, but it can be a psycological thing. It was hard for me to break the 100 mile barrier, then smashed it (as Richard Keys would say) and could do it again tomorrow if I wanted to.

Spot on, it is. You can always cycle a little bit further physically, it's your mind that stops you.
    SS - you sound beaten already, tell yourself you are just going to do it, not matter what, and you will. be surprised what you can achieve.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • secretsam
    Thanks all for the advice, take on board the MTFU advice but be gentle with me, I turned 42 yesterday, a new bike in the garage, it's a lovely day and I'm stuck here doing a sh17load of work!!!!

• I find riding just to get the mileage really hard work, but if I've got somewhere to go to I can do the miles with no bother. Maybe worth planning a few training routes with stop off points that you actually want to visit..
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    SecretSam wrote:

Thanks in advance

Are you currently commuting by bike to work on a daily basis?
  • secretsam
    Tonymufc wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Thanks in advance

Are you currently commuting by bike to work on a daily basis?
    Yup - but it's a broken up trip of around 8 miles total (or 10 if I go down the canal, which is more possible now the weather's better*)

*Sorry if another Ice Age descends as a result of my hasty words!!! :roll:

• Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    I was just thinking more along the lines of having a break from the commute if possible, and getting to work by other means. I do a long day on top of the commute and I just find that every few months I need to take a break from riding into work and use the car instead. This allows me to get up a bit later, get home earlier and have a fairly decent nights sleep. If you can take a week off from riding to work and possibly come the weekend try and go for a steady ride of about 35-40 miles. I'd say that if you can manage that then you'll have no trouble what so ever with 60 miles. +1 for whats already been said regarding fueling, but you'll probably find that the biggest barrier is in your head.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    Thanks all for the advice, take on board the MTFU advice but be gentle with me, I turned 42 yesterday, a new bike in the garage, it's a lovely day and I'm stuck here doing a sh17load of work!!!!

60 miles is easy with a group of people. On your own it is tougher because a lot of it is mental.

I have riden 110 miles in a group situation but would struggle to ride 60 miles on my own.

Go ride with a group and you will knock off 40-50 miles easily.

I disagree with others here saying do not ride 60 miles beforehand. Do it in a group situation (sportive?) and you will then have the confidence and knowledge that you can ride this distance. That will make a difference it is does get a tougher while on the actual ride.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I have riden 110 miles...

Riden 110 miles or just 70 and took the train the rest of the way? (Private joke there).

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    SecretSam wrote:
    Thanks all for the advice, take on board the MTFU advice but be gentle with me, I turned 42 yesterday!

In your prime then
    The average age of male entrants in the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200km event is 49
  • I did it last year, my furthest ride up till that point was my 25mile round trip commute. I was on a hard tail MTB with suspension fork and no lock-out (what a plank) and tipping the scales at 19st so not ideal plus it was the hottest day of the year. The St John's ambulance guys were very busy but despite all that I made it and was really chuffed with myself. The event itself is very well organised with regular food and drink stops and its no way near as busy as the London to Brighton so there are parts of the course where you are literally on your own. I would say get some hill practice in as I spoke to one guy on a racer who said he had training for a few months doing 60mile rides but with hardly any hills and he was struggling, I quote "I wish I could just f**k off home, put me feet up in front of the TV, watch the football and have a beer".

Good luck.
    Fat lads take longer to stop.