Routes - Colwyn Bay - looking for hills!

ajb72
ajb72 Posts: 1,178
Local knowledge required please!

Living in Leicestershire there is not much opportunity for some proper climbing to prepare for big sportive tests. However, we have the opportunity of staying with family in Colwyn Bay as a base camp, with a view to getting some proper climbing in the legs.

So, my question is do any of you guys know a source of good routes to try? We can drive within reason to get a bit further into the hills, and would like to avoid major A roads where possibe.

Does anyone know of a sportive than runs form this area of North Wales too?

All help appreciated.

Comments

• I live in Conwy, and work in Colwyn Bay. Plenty of hills locally. Trust me. I cycle all over the area, and am a member of Rhos on Sea cycling club.

The Great Orme is a must to start or finish any of my rides with. Also good to just spin round it lap after lap (a 5.5mile loop of the lump of rock). Lots of climbing, and one fast 40+mph descent.

Here's a ride i did locally never straying any further than 15 miles away from Colwyn Bay = 4000+ft of climbing in a 55mile ride... ignore the embaressingly slow times... but the elevation may help show the hill work... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/64767788

Kings Drive in Colwyn Bay up to Colwyn Heights is a fantastic climb which you can continue upwards towards Bryn Y Maen (Google Map it) < i'm starting to do it once a week on my commute home, just for fitness.

Sychnant Pass = Conwy To Penmeanmawr and back the same way is a great steep hill ride I include in any hill training ride locally too.

If you wanted to drive anywhere, I recommend Llanberis, and climb up out of Llanberis Pass towards Capel Curig, and loop back to Llanberis via Bethesda, another good 30+mile loop... there's loads to be honest. Here's the sort of thing i did a couple of weeks back (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/63685310)

PM me for any local knowledge, i ride all over the area of a weekend and commute frequently on the bike.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Massive thanks for the detailed information Marc, that is really helpful.

I'll check out the garmin route and may well PM when we've had a chat about distances for routes etc and driving out a bit further.