Bobridge beats Boardman's 4 kilometre Record.

gethmetal
gethmetal Posts: 208
edited February 2011 in Pro race
Jack Bobridge has beaten Chris' time by just over half a second at the Aussie Track Champs.
Well done to him, and well done to Chris Boardman for setting a mark that stood so long.

Comments

• Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    maybe he's been doing some weight training :wink:
  • Whoops edit :oops:
    Dropped the '4' from the distance...
  • Impressive, very much so.

Going to be some great matches between him, Phinney and the UK guy whose name escapes me, who are excellent against the clock.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Impressive, very much so.

Going to be some great matches between him, Phinney and the UK guy whose name escapes me, who are excellent against the clock.

Alex Dowsett
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • This has been on the cards for a while.

Boardman's comments are funny, "It's definately a good time but GB don't care about it anymore because it's not in the Olympics"
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    RichN95 wrote:

Alex Dowsett

or Bradley Wiggins?

He used to be handy at that old fashioned pursuiting lark!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.

or Bradley Wiggins?

I think FF was referring to the youngsters coming through.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    RichN95 wrote:

or Bradley Wiggins?

I know, Dowsett has serious potential. My point was really about the fact that "pursuiting" is in danger of becoming a dying art.

I know these guys will do well at prologues and TTs, but the individual Pursuit is the purest test of speed for those kinds of riders..such a shame to have it knocked out of the Olympics. I like the Omnium as an event to watch, but it rewards all round ability, not pure speed.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • anyone else wish cancellara had a go at it? imagine that would be supersonic speed
  • keef_zip
    keef_zip Posts: 295
    RichN95 wrote:

or Bradley Wiggins?

I know, Dowsett has serious potential. My point was really about the fact that "pursuiting" is in danger of becoming a dying art.

I know these guys will do well at prologues and TTs, but the individual Pursuit is the purest test of speed for those kinds of riders..such a shame to have it knocked out of the Olympics. I like the Omnium as an event to watch, but it rewards all round ability, not pure speed.

I doubt the Alex Dowsett would be that good over the 4km. Geraint Thomas, on the other hand, is up there with Bodridge.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    anyone else wish cancellara had a go at it? imagine that would be supersonic speed

Would quite like to see Canc v Cav

Strava is not Zen.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Was Boardman using the 'superman' position for his record time?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    anyone else wish cancellara had a go at it? imagine that would be supersonic speed

Yes - and I'd love to see him do the hour record too.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    csp wrote:
    Was Boardman using the 'superman' position for his record time?

Yes.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Not sure if the UCI hour record can be ridden in anything but the old school position these days. The rules for the pursuit and TT don't apply to the hour.

Which effectively puts Boardman's 56.375km on the shelf until the UCI changes the rules again.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • RichN95 wrote:

Alex Dowsett
    Yep, thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7298/ ... -ride.aspx

Comments from Boardman.

Seems like the record was broken once in qualifying then Jack broke it again, so maybe the conditions were favourable.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    The 'conventional' record was broken in qualifying ie non superman, Bobridge then went onto break Boardmans record. Think he mentioned something about changing his gearing slightly?
  • He broke the superman record using a normal pursuit position?
    He beat Wiggins and Thomas 2008 Olympic times by nearly 4 seconds?

Not sure what to think about that really
  • RichN95.
    He broke the superman record using a normal pursuit position?
    He beat Wiggins and Thomas 2008 Olympic times by nearly 4 seconds?

Not sure what to think about that really

Apparently, the velodrome was incredibly hot and humid, which reduces air resistance a lot. (And technology is eventually going catch up with the superman position - it's been 15 years).

Let's see what he can do at the World's - he's clearly got bags of talent.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    RichN95 wrote:
    Apparently, the velodrome was incredibly hot and humid, which reduces air resistance a lot.

It was super hot and humid when I went out for a training ride the evening before, certainly didn't help me break any records - quite the opposite in fact, I was dying on my ar$e!! :)
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    patchy wrote:

It was super hot and humid when I went out for a training ride the evening before:)

Quit boasting.

Do you know how long it's taking me to get dressed these days for my commute into work? Oh, how I pine for 'one-layer' days again.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    It got down to minus one here at one point over the winter? Does that help any?

Although, saying that, It's 40 degrees plus today - insane temperatures.Even the water in the pool* is so hot it's like stepping into a warm bath.

I don't miss the UK...

*paddling pool
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tusher wrote:
    Oh, how I pine for 'one-layer' days again.

Don't fret, we'll get one soon enough.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

One very thick layer? :wink:

I haven't been outside on my bike since the 13th of Novemeber :shock: :(
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    patchy wrote:
    It got down to minus one here at one point over the winter? Does that help any?

Although, saying that, It's 40 degrees plus today - insane temperatures.Even the water in the pool* is so hot it's like stepping into a warm bath.

I don't miss the UK...

*paddling pool

-1 in sydney???? that's only ever going to happen every 15 years. (poor attempt to link this post to the thread.)
    and riding in 40 degrees humid is just horrible!

i can't imagine that the conditions were so favourable that they were worth 4seconds at that level.
    regards,
    dbb
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    prawny wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

One very thick layer? :wink:

I haven't been outside on my bike since the 13th of Novemeber :shock: :(

What the hell are you playing at? HTFU and get out there!
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I thought Boardmans comments were a bit churlish and didn't put him in a good light. Bobridge is still making his way in cycling and its early days in terms of his cycling experience and physical maturity. We know what he is capable of so It'll be great to see him a couple of years down the line to find out if it has been maintained.

FWIW...Melbourne has been literally flooded out this weekend, a wetsuit would be a more apt choice of clothing!! Caught the dying tail of the cyclone