Wing bars on a road bike?

Mike67
Mike67 Posts: 585
edited February 2011 in Amateur race
With the TT season fast approaching I'm considering fitting a TT type wing bar with bar end shifters and brakes etc to my road bike.

Last year I fitted clip ons to my road bike and used the STIs as normal for braking shifting etc. which obviously means moving position each time :cry:

Does anyone regularly swap the two types of bar set up over on the same bike?
Is it a big phaff that's not worth the time compared to the advantage of bar end gear changing?
Is there a third way such as bar end shifters on the clipons (Profile T2+) and a double cable arrangement with the STIs?

Buying a full on TT bike isn't an option at the moment as I've reached my herd 'limit' according to the Missus :D
Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
Lots of bits

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I've gone from a roadie with clip-ons to a full on TT bike with bar end changing, and as far as gear changes go, sure, changing position isn't ideal, but I rarely change gear during a TT anyway.

You could always go fixed, that would solve the problem!!
  • Mike67
    Now you say that I think I might suck it and see for the first couple of club TTs.
    Hopefully I'm stronger than last year so can avoid changing gear as much.

As for fixed...that would go great until I hit the chuffin great hill on the way home from my club events with knackered TT legs :wink:
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    edited February 2011
    I do this 2 or 3 times a year. I use an in-line seat post and a Specialized adjustable stem. Both sets of bars are kept with cables, etc, attached. Change from TT bike to road is:-
    Push saddle back as far as it will go and lower it about 3mm.
    Remove TT bar assembly and flip stem. Fit road bars and connect all cables.
    Change wheels.
    This takes less than an hour. Definately and improvement on clip-ons. I have my shifters the 'wrong' way up. Top gear is pointing straight up. I find changing much easier this way and so much better than using the STIs. I now use the gears much more as it is so easy.
    This is the TT set up. It is the green Trek in my sig.
    34dsc_0077.jpg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    To make your set-up switch-overs easier, perhaps get some cable-joiners like the Ritchey ones - once set-up and adjusted then all you'd need to do is unscrew the cables, remove the aheadset cap, loosen the stem clamp bolts and swap them over - should only take a matter of minutes:

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prod.ph ... 15&k=97992
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • John.T
    I would not trust them on the brakes Monty. Not needed on the front anyway. As long as you are competant at indexing gears it only takes a couple of minutes. No need at the front mech when going to TT.
  • Mike67
    Thanks guys...food for thought there.

It looks more feasible than I'd first imagined especially with the cable connectors.
    I've already got a saddle/seatpost set up which I swap over for TTs so that saves a bit of time too.

Nice pic John.T, is that a home brew visor or did you source one for the GIro somewhere?
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • John.T
    http://tinyurl.com/5r4md8p
    It is this visor fitted to a medium Advantage. I used velcro at both sides and a very small piece at front centre. It works well. Sweat drips clear of it or at worst lands right at the bottom. Much better than glasses for me.