Boardwalk Empire

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
First Impressions?

Left me a little cold > everything seemed to be so pitch perfect that it felt a little lifeless.

I felt the writing was a little flat too. There were too many in your face 'introducing the character' dialogue like "Hey, Tony Smith, from Johnson & co, the lawyer, aged 35! How's the wife and 2nd newborn?" which jarred a bit, and I felt the motives for the characters were a little underdeveloped - they seemed to have illusions to character depth without really backing it up.

Also - from this it seems character development is going to be reasonably straight jacketted between either being a nasty horrible bastard, or an angel - with any nuances plotted on the same 2d scale - rather than having a little more depth. 'Either you're gangster or you're not' - etc.

Anyway, it's the first episode, so it's still got to bed in, both in my head and in the writing. The hype had left me hoping for a little more though.

Here's hoping Treme will match my wire expectations..

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I enjoyed it, the character development will take a bit of time. I've been trying to avoid spoilers but what i've read by mistake leads me to believe at least a couple of the characters are going to change into something pretty different (or at least become more complex) as to how they have initially been portrayed in the pilot.

Clearly not enough Chalky White in it yet though :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Clearly not enough Chalky White in it yet though :D

Haha, I let out a little "Omar Comin!'" When I saw the familar face :)
    OmarLittle wrote:
    I enjoyed it, the character development will take a bit of time. I've been trying to avoid spoilers but what i've read by mistake leads me to believe at least a couple of the characters are going to change into something pretty different (or at least become more complex) as to how they have initially been portrayed in the pilot.

Let's hope so. Did you feel it was a little lifeless and cold?
  • Lifeless and cold? :shock: I thought it was brilliant, am miffed that I will have to watch the repeat at midnight for tonights episode.
  • hounslow
    hounslow Posts: 153
    having seen the whole season, the first episode is easily the weakest. wait till you meet jimmys sniper buddy...
  • hounslow wrote:
    having seen the whole season, the first episode is easily the weakest. wait till you meet jimmys sniper buddy...

SSSSSHHHHHHH! :evil:
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    On a similar note, did any of you guys watch Blue Bloods after it? I missed Boarwalk Empire but Sky+'d it so will watch it tonight before the second episode.

I really enjoyed it. It's always really hard to judge a series based on the pilot/first episode as the producers will cram as much as they can into an hour, the result being you are introduced to far too many characters all at once. Given time though the program will be able to concentrate on one or two characters at a time not, as in the case of Blue Bloods, the whole family at once.
  • First Impressions?

Here's hoping Treme will match my wire expectations..

Your thoughts?

i wouldnt build your hopes up about treme- its corny and the racial divide is sanitised- i needed the toe spanner to uncurl my toes at times it was that corny :cry:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Stick with it !! There is a lot of character setting in the first couple of episodes (less in the second).

I'm up to episode 7, it's a good watch !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved